Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Winter and all season tyres for a 330e

10-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e

Driving home from Aberdeen it was less than 3 degrees which made me start to think about which all season or winter tyres to fit my 330e.

My last car a Mercedes C300h had a set of Michelin Pilot Albin 5s for the winter which worked very well in snow, ice and temperatures below 5 degrees but the set does not fit the BMW.

The first challenge is the differing tyres sizes
Front 225/45 R18 95Y
Rear. 255/40 R18 99Y
The rear size must be pretty unique as I cannot locate any All Season tyres for that size so am going for dedicated winter tyres, probably Continental TS850P for the front and Continental TS830P for the rear.

Is anyone else looking at this, planning for winter?.

This was my normal commute route through central Edinburgh after snow, the rear wheel drive Mercedes managed the roads easily

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Driving home from Aberdeen it was less than 3 degrees which made me start to think about which all season or winter tyres to fit my 330e.

My last car a Mercedes C300h had a set of Michelin Pilot Albin 5s for the winter which worked very well in snow, ice and temperatures below 5 degrees but the set does not fit the BMW.

The first challenge is the differing tyres sizes
Front 225/45 R18 95Y
Rear. 255/40 R18 99Y
The rear size must be pretty unique as I cannot locate any All Season tyres for that size so am going for dedicated winter tyres, probably Continental TS850P for the front and Continental TS830P for the rear.

Is anyone else looking at this, planning for winter?.

This was my normal commute route through central Edinburgh after snow, the rear wheel drive Mercedes managed the roads easily
I've been wondering the same although living a lot further south!? Bought some last year for the first time and made a lot of difference when very cold and even more when snowy.

So I still have some almost new Michelin Pilot Alpin's from my Mondeo. They are 235/40/19"

Anyone know if they could be safely fitted to my 330e MSport Plus? They're not "quite" the right width for either front or back...

Mine are 225/40/19" at the front and 255/35/19" at the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

This is a good app to use

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I think you may need new tyres, a shame about your existing ones, perhaps put them on eBay? Or a Mondeo forum?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
This is a good app to use

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I think you may need new tyres, a shame about your existing ones, perhaps put them on eBay? Or a Mondeo forum?
Thanks, that's really helpful. It's pretty close and if it's just the speedo being slightly out I'd be fine but not if it messes up the handling/safety I guess...

Waiting on my BMW dealer to call me back...and waiting... ;-)

How are you finding the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Would be good to hear from more folk who are thinking of winter tyres. My car arrives in a few weeks and so a decision will need to be made quite quickly after that as to what I am doing. It's a company car so if I run winters, it'll be my own set out of my own pocket, which I don't mind that much. The car will come on the 19s so I think buying a set of 18 inch wheels with 225/45/19 all round will be better, as allows for rotating back to front each year, which should allow me to get an even 3-4 winters from a set, which is the lifetime of the car in my hands.

The size also allows All season options like the Michelin Cross Climate and Bridgestone Weather Control to be considered, alongside winter options.

The reality for me is a I won't really face all that much snow, so an All-season is a better option I think.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #6
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Would be good to hear from more folk who are thinking of winter tyres. My car arrives in a few weeks and so a decision will need to be made quite quickly after that as to what I am doing. It's a company car so if I run winters, it'll be my own set out of my own pocket, which I don't mind that much. The car will come on the 19s so I think buying a set of 18 inch wheels with 225/45/19 all round will be better, as allows for rotating back to front each year, which should allow me to get an even 3-4 winters from a set, which is the lifetime of the car in my hands.

The size also allows All season options like the Michelin Cross Climate and Bridgestone Weather Control to be considered, alongside winter options.

The reality for me is a I won't really face all that much snow, so an All-season is a better option I think.
I fitted the Continental winter tyres on Friday then told the car about them in the settings menu, good so far, no extra tyre noise and the ride is still fine.

Your plan makes sense as you have the option of Michelin all season tyres if you have the same front and back. New alloys will be expensive though but easier to swop twice a year by yourself where as I have to use our local garage to change my tyres. Like you the winter tyres are not covered by the lease but fortunately the winter tyres are paid for by my employer as I need them for work.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 01:54 AM   #7
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

It's a shame hey changed the fitment for G20. 17s with winter tyres for older 3 series are for nothing on the continent.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

The 2 very best all season tyres are Michelin Crossclimate PLUS and Continental Winter Contact. Both scored significantly highly in Auto Express varied tests.

Unfortunately you won't find these tyres for 19" wheels like on some of our cars (my 330i anyway). I had Crossclimate Plus on a Golf R and they are distinctly the difference between getting to your destination or being quite possibly stuck (snow & ice) with your summer tyres on. 4 wheel drive is almost as poor on snow & ice with summer tyres as 2 wheel drive cars are.

It's all about the tyres!

Why aren't they available (yet) for 19" wheels? I personally believe it's because the sidewalls are soft on the all seasons, for flexibility, so on a high performance car there would be possible issues. I may be wrong on this though
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregus330i View Post
The 2 very best all season tyres are Michelin Crossclimate PLUS and Continental Winter Contact. Both scored significantly highly in Auto Express varied tests.

Unfortunately you won't find these tyres for 19" wheels like on some of our cars (my 330i anyway). I had Crossclimate Plus on a Golf R and they are distinctly the difference between getting to your destination or being quite possibly stuck (snow & ice) with your summer tyres on. 4 wheel drive is almost as poor on snow & ice with summer tyres as 2 wheel drive cars are.

It's all about the tyres!

Why aren't they available (yet) for 19" wheels? I personally believe it's because the sidewalls are soft on the all seasons, for flexibility, so on a high performance car there would be possible issues. I may be wrong on this though
My F36 used 19” Pirelli slottozero 3 brilliant tyres
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #10
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

well...

As I come from a country which has proper winters and where legal requirements not to drive in summer tyres during the winter exists, I am more than confident that more or less any all-season would be more than enough for British winter (that one day with snow every 2 years). So good year or michelin all-season would be more than enough for British winter - but here's size issue.
Well, however what I would do - I would go for the cheapest winter tyres with the right size you can find on places like http://www.camskill.co.uk or www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk - any brand - as these will be miles better than any summer tyre on the snow/ice anyway.

However, coming to the winter tyres, it's a shame that my company's policy does not allow winter tyres to be fitted. well, at least ALD used to say "with the permission of employer" and employer used to say "NO". And you cannot imagine how many swords and arrows has been broken with fleet managers and HR...
I just wonder what ARVAL's policy would be in this case... :/

Last edited by snusnu; 10-16-2019 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:02 AM   #11
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Just for clarification....

Some areas of Britain get a lot more snow than 1 day every two years and roads are not always cleared.....

In these areas then winter tyres may be the best option.

For myself, although we do get more snow than snusnu quotes, I live in an urban area and roads are generally cleared so have managed in the most with summer tyres.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #12
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Just for clarification....

Some areas of Britain get a lot more snow than 1 day every two years and roads are not always cleared.....

In these areas then winter tyres may be the best option.

For myself, although we do get more snow than snusnu quotes, I live in an urban area and roads are generally cleared so have managed in the most with summer tyres.
well I agree with you on this but again, if I were looking for winter tyres in UK, i would go for the cheapest winter tyres of the right size, to be fair Unless budget stretches a bit.

anyway, winter tyres should last at least couple of winter (you'd want to demount them for summer).

In Lithuania (where I am from) legal requirement is to remove summer tyres from the 1st of November. You can mount summer tyres back on 1st of April. so all sets of tyres usually last 2 years or so
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #13
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought that one of the key features of winter and all season tyres was their improved performance particularly during braking but also when setting off when the temperature is below 7 degrees in comparison to summer tyres.

For at least half the year the average low is in Edinburgh is less than 7 degrees so although we don't get a lot of snow it makes sense to change tyres.

Fortunately our fleet company are relaxed about us fitting winter tyres although they are not built into the lease cost so we pay for them separately.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:50 AM   #14
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I thought that one of the key features of winter and all season tyres was their improved performance particularly during braking but also when setting off when the temperature is below 7 degrees in comparison to summer tyres.

For at least half the year the average low is in Edinburgh is less than 7 degrees so although we don't get a lot of snow it makes sense to change tyres.

Fortunately our fleet company are relaxed about us fitting winter tyres although they are not built into the lease cost so we pay for them separately.
yes, so that's why I would take the cheapest winter tyres
hell, will need to check with Arval regarding winter tyres.. BMW is RWD..

Last edited by snusnu; 10-16-2019 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
JohnBarny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
well I agree with you on this but again, if I were looking for winter tyres in UK, i would go for the cheapest winter tyres of the right size, to be fair Unless budget stretches a bit.

anyway, winter tyres should last at least couple of winter (you'd want to demount them for summer).

In Lithuania (where I am from) legal requirement is to remove summer tyres from the 1st of November. You can mount summer tyres back on 1st of April. so all sets of tyres usually last 2 years or so
Winter tyres are not just for snow it’s for low temperatures. But keep that narrow mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:03 AM   #16
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

I obviously know, duh. What I am saying - take the cheapest winter tyres you can find for your size
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
I obviously know, duh. What I am saying - take the cheapest winter tyres you can find for your size
What's the logic behind the cheapest winter tyres?

Surely it is best performance from a winter tyre, suited to our climate, (cold and wet), that is most important.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
JohnBarny
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What's the logic behind the cheapest winter tyres?

Surely it is best performance from a winter tyre, suited to our climate, (cold and wet), that is most important.
Buy a 40k+ car and put budget £50 tires on it 😂 that’s what you call no logic
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #19
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

This is in case you cannot find better ones for the right size...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #20
Blackers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The Continental set I fitted were amongst the highest scoring in the winter tyres reviews that I read plus they are the correct size.

Although also among the most expensive they were only £175 a corner which I think is a worthwhile investment.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...rands-reviewed

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

https://www.evo.co.uk/features/13761...ter-tyres-2018
Attached Images

Last edited by Blackers; 10-17-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #21
W1ck
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d revive this one.

Does anyone know if you can opt for a square set up (seems like a lot of the US spec G20’s come with 225’s all round) for winter tyres?

I’m running a 330e that I plan to take to the alps and highlands this year so winter tyres will be essential.

Anyone running a square set up, what load ratings did you go for?

I’ve noticed my fronts are XL 95 and my rears are XL 99. With the vast majority of winter options 95’s.

For info I’ve attached the door shut plaque below, but I’m not entirely clear if this is suggesting 225 or 255 for the rear. I’m running an M-Sport on the standard 18’s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #22
aquamaster
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: G02 3.0d Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ck View Post
Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d revive this one.

Does anyone know if you can opt for a square set up (seems like a lot of the US spec G20’s come with 225’s all round) for winter tyres?

I’m running a 330e that I plan to take to the alps and highlands this year so winter tyres will be essential.

Anyone running a square set up, what load ratings did you go for?

I’ve noticed my fronts are XL 95 and my rears are XL 99. With the vast majority of winter options 95’s.

For info I’ve attached the door shut plaque below, but I’m not entirely clear if this is suggesting 225 or 255 for the rear. I’m running an M-Sport on the standard 18’s.
Quite late for a reply but I would like to say that I have just installed a new set of non runflat tyres Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 on my brand new G20 320d xdrive. They are 225 front and 255 rear, both 18" original M rims.
Heard of people not recommending mixed size tyres for winter front ant rear axle but on Romanian sea side usually there is not much snow every winter. I have them installed for 1000km and no complaints though. Summer set is 19" but running on adaptive suspension I cannot see a big difference between both sets.
Appreciate 0