Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Rear diff problem

09-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Rear diff problem

Started up the car the other morning and this warning message appeared:-

Check Control
Rear axle differential lock restricted.
Drive moderately. Have the problem checked by the nearest Service Partner.

They checked the car at the local BMW Dealership who advised me to bring the car back next week as they will have to order a new Control Unit from Germany.

I had in fact noticed a slight loss of positiveness on the bends but had put it down to my imagination!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

Strange , yesterday I felt my car hesitating ( dragging ) as I coasted through roundabouts . Perhaps I am in for a message also.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I hope they fix it without further issues. I know the feeling of something going wrong with such a new car - The cup holder cover on my 3 month old car broke and it's 10 days to order a new cover as the car is so new.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Ref my above post, I picked up the car fitted with the new Control Unit for the limited slip diff and have noticed a difference in the cars handling on the bends. That nice positive confident I’m on the line feeling. Pleased in was not my imagination!

But, unfortunately since visiting the Main Dealer the car a problem.
After my first visit for the initial diff check the car on start up as the main user instead of a ‘Hello Peter’ it was ‘Hello Hassan’ and difficult to delete entirely as Hassan always returned.

So, I mentioned this on booking in for the new Control Unit and due notes were taken with the response that it would be looked into and rectified.
On starting the car on the forecourt the display said: ‘Hello Hassan Farooq’ !!!
I was not a happy bunny!
Went back to the Service Dept and could only leave a message as the Team Manager, my contact was occupied. Explained the situation at Reception who said my contact will phone me. (Still waiting!)

The only way I can keep this intruder off my display is to log myself in as the second driver.

As they said they would be upgrading the Software I can only suspect that Hassan is embedded and is their transfer. Nice thought!
As I cannot stand the thought of going back and loosing the car for a day or more and more waffle I’m leaving it as it is until the next service visit.
This is the third BMW where I have used this Dealership and on visiting I always wonder what’s going to happen now!
Up front it’s all nice and posh with lots of suits looking busy but have always wondered what goes on in the workshop!
A while ago I noticed that the viewing windows to the workshop showing the grease monkeys hard at work are now obscured.
So all is now a mystery!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #5
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
Ref my above post, I picked up the car fitted with the new Control Unit for the limited slip diff and have noticed a difference in the cars handling on the bends. That nice positive confident I’m on the line feeling. Pleased in was not my imagination!

After my first visit for the initial diff check the car on start up as the main user instead of a ‘Hello Peter’ it was ‘Hello Hassan’ and difficult to delete entirely as Hassan always returned.

So, I mentioned this on booking in for the new Control Unit and due notes were taken with the response that it would be looked into and rectified.
On starting the car on the forecourt the display said: ‘Hello Hassan Farooq’ !!!
I was not a happy bunny!
Went back to the Service Dept and could only leave a message as the Team Manager, my contact was occupied. Explained the situation at Reception who said my contact will phone me. (Still waiting!)

The only way I can keep this intruder off my display is to log myself in as the second driver.

As they said they would be upgrading the Software I can only suspect that Hassan is embedded and is their transfer. Nice thought!
As I cannot stand the thought of going back and loosing the car for a day or more and more waffle I’m leaving it as it is until the next service visit.
This is the third BMW where I have used this Dealership and on visiting I always wonder what’s going to happen now!
Up front it’s all nice and posh with lots of suits looking busy but have always wondered what goes on in the workshop!
A while ago I noticed that the viewing windows to the workshop showing the grease monkeys hard at work are now obscured.
So all is now a mystery!
How annoying :-( I think there is an option to delete a profile, have you found that or did it not work? I can look it up later if it helps and share screen shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

tricky: Have tried many times to delete the profile but Hassan returns!
I have now given up and now drive as the Guest driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

Sounds like one of the techs registered himself on you’re car to me
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Create a new connected account and then use that to create a new profile. Link the new profile to your key and that should be it.

I think that should work.

In my car my wife and myself have profiles setup on different keys and it moves the seat, mirrors, and remembers saved stations etc. for each profile thru the key

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      10-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post

I was not a happy bunny!

So all is now a mystery!
I would say they gave you a used unit that belonged to that person. They need to replace it with a new one!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

Change your name by deed poll to Hassan Farooq
Appreciate 5
rich100874.50
vadimo309.00
Seaford1124.00
Soul_Glo13293.00
      10-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
Change your name by deed poll to Hassan Farooq
Ha! Ha! That would be the easy way out but what would my mates round the pub think? They would buy me a red fez for sure and have a good laugh!
Would prefer to get shot of him!

I notice on the app ‘BMW Connected’ he appears as ‘Hello Hassan’.
So another job todo to delete and reload.

To put it on record am thinking of sending an email to the ‘erberts at the BMW Dealership with a copy to their Chief Executive.
They have just got to take more care in using software rather than a slap-dash approach which they must have with my car.
And how much did I pay for this motor with all the bells & whistles?
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      10-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #12
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Ref my above post regarding the infiltration of Hassan Farooq into my car I have to say that have since found that it does not appear to be the fault of the Main Dealer.

So it’s take back all I said!
The problem seems to have been with BMW U.K.’s Connection website.

After managing to clear Hassan from the car I realised he was still the name on the Connection App.
So I thought I would check out my details on the Connection website and I found that my name and address had been replaced with Mr Hassan Farooq plus a full address ‘oop north within the powerhouse of England.
Rather unsettling to say the least as it appears not to be a secure website.
After speaking to the staff they deleted all my details and have
re-registered again.
All now seems to be well!
My apologies again to the Main Dealer!
Appreciate 3
Seaford1124.00
Soul_Glo13293.00
      03-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Cusken
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3301

Check Control
Rear axle differential lock restricted.
I have this message as well my car has only covered 500 miles took it to my local BMW dealer asked if they would check the control unit after seeing your post.
They instead a completely new rear axle got the car back after a 2 week wait for the part, next day same message appears, not happy !!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #14
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Hate to necro the thread but I just got this error myself on my Sept 19 build M340i x( Will be calling up servicing tomorrow, glad I took out the extended warranty policy now...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #15
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well folks, believe it or not - rodent damage. Thankfully it seems like it only bit through a plastic vent and a single green wire (likely for GHAS communication, hence the error) - lucky given the other wires in close proximity! Unlucky given it's a bumper off job for repair.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13293.00
      01-10-2023, 12:39 PM   #16
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

So, out of interest, is that covered under the warranty?

Congrats for getting the car into a dealer so quick too. My dealer is quoting servicing wait times of a month or so... pretty useless.
      01-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #17
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
So, out of interest, is that covered under the warranty?

Congrats for getting the car into a dealer so quick too. My dealer is quoting servicing wait times of a month or so... pretty useless.
Negative. Outside factor (as I expected honestly, I mean it's not BMW's fault a mouse crawled into a vent and literally devoured it), here's a screencap of what they were showing me:

That green wire lying there is the one to the GHAS that caused the error.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #18
tester2011
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I just got the error this morning...luckily my appointment is tomorrow with BMW