F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DME/ECU replacement Cylinder relay(wiring) not responsive
Extreme Powerhouse

09-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
Frankwhit3500
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

DME/ECU replacement Cylinder relay(wiring) not responsive

Hello ,

I'm currently FBO with bootmod3 tune OTS. A few nights ago while I'm accelerating at about 5-6 rpm my car starts to stutter and vibrate/rattle very aggressively inside the cabin. I pull over shut off the car and wait a few, restart the car and same problem is still there. No CEL seems to appear not sure if it's because of the BM3 tune hiding it. Once Flashed back to stock map the engine light CEL appears. 2 shops and myself picked up ignition coil #6 misfire codes. So we are all on the same boat that something is up with cylinder 6. I change my spark plugs and ignition coils(all 6) since I was overdue anyways. Still the same problem and same CEL/code appear. One shop couldn't come up with an answer while the other found that the relay (wiring) from the DME to ignition coil is faulty. No signal is being sent to the cylinder. I did see the difference myself from the other cylinders.

Apparently the answer to this is replacing my DME. I find it hard to believe this is the only answer. Can't the wiring be changed or the DME be fixed if this was really the issue? Instead of spending thousands replacing the whole ECU/DME unit.

I also went on the bm3 app and tried to read my dm3 as well as reset it from the app itself and I will get " ERROR unavailable to read" which leads me to believe maybe the DME is faulty. Can a tune cause DME/ECU problems? (Not custom tune)

FYI Some car info: F30 N55 PWG FBO BM3
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwhit3500 View Post
Hello ,

I'm currently FBO with bootmod3 tune OTS. A few nights ago while I'm accelerating at about 5-6 rpm my car starts to stutter and vibrate/rattle very aggressively inside the cabin. I pull over shut off the car and wait a few, restart the car and same problem is still there. No CEL seems to appear not sure if it's because of the BM3 tune hiding it. Once Flashed back to stock map the engine light CEL appears. 2 shops and myself picked up ignition coil #6 misfire codes. So we are all on the same boat that something is up with cylinder 6. I change my spark plugs and ignition coils(all 6) since I was overdue anyways. Still the same problem and same CEL/code appear. One shop couldn't come up with an answer while the other found that the relay (wiring) from the DME to ignition coil is faulty. No signal is being sent to the cylinder. I did see the difference myself from the other cylinders.

Apparently the answer to this is replacing my DME. I find it hard to believe this is the only answer. Can't the wiring be changed or the DME be fixed if this was really the issue? Instead of spending thousands replacing the whole ECU/DME unit.

I also went on the bm3 app and tried to read my dm3 as well as reset it from the app itself and I will get " ERROR unavailable to read" which leads me to believe maybe the DME is faulty. Can a tune cause DME/ECU problems? (Not custom tune)

FYI Some car info: F30 N55 PWG FBO BM3
How many miles on your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Frankwhit3500
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
How many miles on your car?
just over 97k