Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions M340i Center Speaker Rattle Fix Instructions (with pics)

09-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
gnr4all
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive SB

M340i Center Speaker Rattle Fix Instructions (with pics)

First of all thank you to CyclingBroStyle for posting a solution to the speaker rattle problem. I just wanted to post instructions how i fixed it because the noise was driving me crazy and I hope this helps other people with this issue.

Step 1: I found that the cover wasn't easy to just lift up. The speaker cover has 6 clips as shown in the pic below. I used a card to wedge under the speaker cover and to push each clip in. I started with the bottom left clip (closest to steering wheel) I found that I had to push the card into the clip in order to release it and simultaneously lift the cover with a little force. Eventually one at a time, I released all 6 clips. It could be that you can just lift up the cover with pressure but it didn't feel to me as if it would work without breaking the cover

Step 2: Once I lifted the cover off I used felt tape to cover the plastic tab on the top of the speaker cover as shown in the picture below:

Step 3: I then covered those two plastic contact points by the speaker on the sides of where the plastic tab from the speaker cover connects to pictured below:

I then popped the speaker cover back in and now the rattle has gone away. I tested it in Sport+ mode under heavy acceleration and when raising the volume of the stereo under different frequencies.

This is a link to the felt tape I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01455QMX4
      09-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

I was actually driving beside a truck with flow-master exhaust... the truck's exhaust frequency set off this rattle big time. I've got the tape on order and thanks for taking the time to detail the process.
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      09-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
hockeymen14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Oh man- I may be doing this tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
gnr4all
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
I was actually driving beside a truck with flow-master exhaust... the truck's exhaust frequency set off this rattle big time. I've got the tape on order and thanks for taking the time to detail the process.
Pleasure! I'm glad I could help.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Just got mine back from the dealer and they said they couldn’t reproduce the issue (bullshit). Ordered the tape and I’m trying this as soon as it gets here. Thanks bmw, I swear this forum is more helpful

Last edited by JSaid; 09-16-2019 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 4
      09-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Thanks!!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Just got it done and the sound is gone. Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      09-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
BinH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

For those of us in a hurry for a fix, you can go to Walmart in the Crafts section and get the fix from Velcro. Velcro Sticky Back 5/8in circles (90971) work perfectly and cost about 3 dollars.

I placed them as gnr4all posted and the rattle is gone.

Thanks gnr4all!
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      09-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
CyclingBroStyle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr4all View Post
First of all thank you to CyclingBroStyle for posting a solution to the speaker rattle problem. I just wanted to post instructions how i fixed it because the noise was driving me crazy and I hope this helps other people with this issue.

Step 1: I found that the cover wasn't easy to just lift up. The speaker cover has 6 clips as shown in the pic below. I used a card to wedge under the speaker cover and to push each clip in. I started with the bottom left clip (closest to steering wheel) I found that I had to push the card into the clip in order to release it and simultaneously lift the cover with a little force. Eventually one at a time, I released all 6 clips. It could be that you can just lift up the cover with pressure but it didn't feel to me as if it would work without breaking the cover

Step 2: Once I lifted the cover off I used felt tape to cover the plastic tab on the top of the speaker cover as shown in the picture below:

Step 3: I then covered those two plastic contact points by the speaker on the sides of where the plastic tab from the speaker cover connects to pictured below:

I then popped the speaker cover back in and now the rattle has gone away. I tested it in Sport+ mode under heavy acceleration and when raising the volume of the stereo under different frequencies.

You have my stamp of approval!!! Great write up! Thanks for the shoutout!
BMW CCA #522637 use me as a referral for BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      09-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Quote:

You have my stamp of approval!!! Great write up! Thanks for the shoutout!
Awesome write up! I did end up taking mine to the dealer and they added felt and the rattle is gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #11
Don Mico
My First Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks. I’m sharing this with my service advisor at crevier BMW. The noise is driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #12
Don Mico
My First Bimmer
United_States
Rep

Thank you gnr4all, Crevier BMW fixed it using the same solution.
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      10-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

Thank you! I have only had mine for a few hundred miles and was trying to track down that rattle. I thought it was coming from the heads up display area. I will investigate tonight.
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      10-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Anybody with a sunroof notice there are also quite a bit of squeaks coming so where from around the rail?

I removed the rubber bit that covers the mechanical parts of the rail but the issue persists. It's driving me nuts.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
jcrosa
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e M Sport 2022

Quote:

Many, many thanks for posting these instructions! this was driving me mad!
Appreciate 1
gnr4all62.50
      11-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

This was the first thing I noticed on my new m340i... I was able to stop the rattle by pressing down on the center grille with my hand. I can't believe we have to resort to these kind of fixes on a 2020 BMW, this is something I expect from a 2008 Subaru. Thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:49 AM   #17
Mb73288
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 330i xdrive

Finally did this fix last night. That rattle was driving me nuts. I had a little trouble pushing those clips in and out but i have to say it fixed that rattle 100%. Great fix to an annoying problem
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #18
DallasExec
Rep

+1 for this fix, just completed it in my M340i and the buzz is gone. I used the sticky velcro pads recommended earlier in the thread.

Thanks again for posting the fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
G2020VISION
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 m340ix

Garage List
2020 M340I X  [0.00]
Thanks for post.. eliminated that annoying speaker noise... now trying to find that intermitten sunroof noise... any suggestions
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #20
Simsimma7
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

Garage List
Amazing. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #21
ercnclk
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: bmw G20 320i

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #22
pkancel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Perfect fix, thank you so much. Oddly though, dont have the problem in our G20 330i, just the M but maybe the suspension, engine, etc in the M are all drivers of the issue as well.
Appreciate 0