BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
jdf@doctors.org.uk
UK Based Air Ambulance Doctor. X5 G05 M50d
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M50d

Apple CarPlay using Memory buttons

Hi guys, can't seem to find a direct answer to this on other threads...

How do folk use the memory buttons to get in to CarPlay? I can't seem to set the memory button when I have the CarPlay icon highlighted?

Only one that seem able to link on memory button is CarPlay "phone"

Cheers,

John
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The last I tried and heard, it is not possible to use a memory button to get to the CarPlay menu.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have 3 favourite buttons set for CarPlay:
- Music
- Maps (TomTom)
- Phone

I suspect Maps will default to Apple Maps or whatever was the last iOS mapping app used, but I always have TT running.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The last I tried and heard, it is not possible to use a memory button to get to the CarPlay menu.
You can. First make sure the phone is connected via CarPlay. Select the "COM" physical button on the center console, use the rotate the iDrive controller until "phone in CarPlay" is highlighted on the left hand menu. Push and hold the desired memory button to save the function. It will work as long as the phone is connected. If it's not and you attempt to activate the shortcut, it'll say "function not supported". I have button 1 set to be phone in CarPlay, and button 8 to be a WiFi toggle. If I push 1 and it says function not supported, I'll toggle Wifi and be back running in no time.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      08-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
You can. First make sure the phone is connected via CarPlay. Select the "COM" physical button on the center console, use the rotate the iDrive controller until "phone in CarPlay" is highlighted on the left hand menu. Push and hold the desired memory button to save the function. It will work as long as the phone is connected. If it's not and you attempt to activate the shortcut, it'll say "function not supported". I have button 1 set to be phone in CarPlay, and button 8 to be a WiFi toggle. If I push 1 and it says function not supported, I'll toggle Wifi and be back running in no time.
Excellent, thanks I will try that. I tried a few ways this morning but was not successful.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I've noticed some interesting CP behaviour with iOS 13 beta 7:
- You can set favourites for Music, Maps and Phone individually.
- Not sure if it's a bug, but I added my Maps favourite while TomTom was the active mapping software. If I close all running apps directly on the phone so no mapping software is running, and press the assigned Maps favourite button in the car, TomTom always starts. In fact it doesn't even appear to start on the phone, it's just there in CP. Really cool and useful
- So far iOS 13 is rock solid from a CP perspective. The 3 issues I had with audio failure, random connection failures and disconnects, don't appear to be happening anymore

Update 270819 - the audio failure issue is still present on iOS 13. CP connected correctly as normal. It connects really quick with iOS 13 btw. Music started playing on my phone and not the car. I could still control all CP functions from the car, just no audio from the speakers. Reset wifi and all working fine again.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 08-28-2019 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Update on behaviour
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #7
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
- Not sure if it's a bug, but I added my Maps favourite while TomTom was the active mapping software. If I close all running apps directly on the phone so no mapping software is running, and press the assigned Maps favourite button in the car, TomTom always starts. In fact it doesn't even appear to start on the phone, it's just there in CP. Really cool and useful
- So far iOS 13 is rock solid from a CP perspective. The 3 issues I had with audio failure, random connection failures and disconnects, don't appear to be happening anymore

One big issue I've found with iOS 13, not CP related - tether via Personal Hotspot doesn't work from my MacBook
I've got my car getting delivered this upcoming week at performance center. I've been avoiding any updates on my phone to avoid any 'nothing works in here' scenarios on my journey home. Would you recommend going to the newest IOS - and if so, how do I download the beta that's resulted in your CP being solid? I'm still running IOS 12.3.1

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #8
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post

One big issue I've found with iOS 13, not CP related - tether via Personal Hotspot doesn't work from my MacBook
Super exciting to read! I have always done betas but these days I rely on my phone for so much work and didn't want to risk the typical issues with the mail client specifically.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #9
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I've got my car getting delivered this upcoming week at performance center. I've been avoiding any updates on my phone to avoid any 'nothing works in here' scenarios on my journey home. Would you recommend going to the newest IOS - and if so, how do I download the beta that's resulted in your CP being solid? I'm still running IOS 12.3.1
I would recommend upgrading to iOS 12.4, simply because it's the latest version of the iPhone 12.x firmware and in theory should have the least number of bugs.

Whether there is improved compatibility with CP is anyone's guess. Only BMW know what version of car i-step was tested against a specific version of iOS. Some might suggest 'testing' never happened

You can get iOS 13 from the apple beta website. It's formally released to the public in 3 weeks. The hotspot bug might mean I have to roll back to iOS 12.4, despite the major benefits, as I need it for my work.

I have seen some mail client issues too. Notifications aren't working properly, but nothing major. Unread emails are not displayed if there is an unread only filter applied.

I also had some connectivity issues with Exchange online that required re-adding the account settings and bouncing the phone.
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      08-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

@[RowanBuds] I picked up my X5 at the performance center a couple of weeks ago. 12.4 works fine with CarPlay. I do leave CarPlay on all the time, but I still have all the iDrive features available. At this point I like to use the iDrive Nav but listen to audible on iPhone.

The only time I've had trouble with CarPlay is if I hit the BMW button to go out of it.

One tip for the Performance Center time with the Genius - have the connected drive app set up first.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

@[eaglesrest] Tell me what you are doing with Exchange Online... are you getting mail and calendar info in the car? are you signing in with Office 365 credentials somehow?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I do use Office 365 in-car and do get mail, calendar and limited s4b integration, but that is independent of the iOS 13 issue I was referring to. The phone is not needed for this, other than during setup, as its a connected drive service.

The iOS 13 beta mail issue was something along the lines of 'cannot verify identity', when trying to access Exchange Online.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
jdf@doctors.org.uk
UK Based Air Ambulance Doctor. X5 G05 M50d
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Thanks, but I'm Looking for a shortcut to the CP menu screen - the one with all the apps on view.
      08-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdf@doctors.org.uk View Post
Thanks, but I'm Looking for a shortcut to the CP menu screen - the one with all the apps on view.
Do what hkleyman recommended above, I did and it worked perfectly.

Edit: I take it back, it does not work and just brings up the phone. I must have been excited that it brought up CarPlay and didn't even realize it was the phone and not the main menu. I will go back to my original "no way to do it".

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 08-29-2019 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Put simply, unfortunately what you are asking for cannot be done, even with iOS 13/13.1

The closest possible option is as I described. Map 3 favourites to:
- Phone in CarPlay
- Media in CarPlay
- Maps in CarPlay

With iOS 13 it will default to the last used app. Phone is always Phone. Media can be music, audible, whatever. Maps can be Apple maps, google maps, waze, tomtom. Basically whatever was running last. You will still have to press the on-screen shortcut to get to the main menu (iOS 13.x), or apps menu.

What I have noticed is that when I start my car, TomTom is up and running in CP way quicker than iDrive Nav.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Hi guys, can't seem to find a direct answer to this on other threads...

How do folk use the memory buttons to get in to CarPlay? I can't seem to set the memory button when I have the CarPlay icon highlighted?

Only one that seem able to link on memory button is CarPlay "phone"

Cheers,

John
I was trying to get this done today. Had to turn off the CarPlay and connect the phone using the usual Bluetooth to the iDrive. Then access your previous calls and highlight the phone number you want programmed into the buttons. Press and hold on the buttons. That’s it.

Reconnect your CarPlay.
Appreciate 0