BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
mgiannetto
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Unable to Change Drive modes or turn off start/stop - Intermittently

This happens about 50% of the time we get in the car. We go to turn off the start/stop and nothing happens when the button is pressed. Also cannot change drive modes with the buttons on the center console.

Anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiannetto View Post
This happens about 50% of the time we get in the car. We go to turn off the start/stop and nothing happens when the button is pressed. Also cannot change drive modes with the buttons on the center console.

I have not but I assume the usual fix of resetting idrive by holding down the volume button for 30 seconds or so would apply. I have plenty of other weirdness that goes away by doing so.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
mgiannetto
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
I have not but I assume the usual fix of resetting idrive by holding down the volume button for 30 seconds or so would apply. I have plenty of other weirdness that goes away by doing so.
I'll give that a try - thanks.

Do you know if there is a software update for this?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
I'll give that a try - thanks.

Do you know if there is a software update for this?
From what I have read there is a general update that came out last month. I don’t know what specifically it addresses. It seems it is fairly difficult to get dealers to agree to perform the upgrade and for some it has caused problems. Mine is from March.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
mgiannetto
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
From what I have read there is a general update that came out last month. I don’t know what specifically it addresses. It seems it is fairly difficult to get dealers to agree to perform the upgrade and for some it has caused problems. Mine is from March.
I was searching around in i-drive and saw the ability to do a remote software update. Honestly, was worried about initiating that and having it create other problems (and not fix this one). So I though it best to let BMW address it when we bring it in for service (not till the fall unfortunately). Sounds like that may not be as straightforward as I thought.

Surprised no one else appears to be reporting this same issue we are having.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Be sure your doors are fully closed. This has happened to me a few times, I finally realized I hadn’t shut the door all the way. Now it is the first thing i check if car won’t go into gear.

It isn’t obvious that your door is ajar as in other cars I’ve owned.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
mgiannetto
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Be sure your doors are fully closed. This has happened to me a few times, I finally realized I hadn’t shut the door all the way. Now it is the first thing i check if car won’t go into gear.

It isn’t obvious that your door is ajar as in other cars I’ve owned.
This is not the issue. We are driving when we are unable to shut off the start/stop and change the drive modes (from Comfort to Sport for example). I can shift the gear selector to sport mode by moving it to the left, but still cannot use the buttons on the console.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
This is not the issue. We are driving when we are unable to shut off the start/stop and change the drive modes (from Comfort to Sport for example). I can shift the gear selector to sport mode by moving it to the left, but still cannot use the buttons on the console.
2019 X5 June build with 03.2019 iDrive. Never had these issues, I can always select driving mode Comfort / Eco pro etc. Start / Stop is always on I never bother, it works perfect for my driving style.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:

Is this something that just started or has it always been this way?

It is possible the connection under the switches might have come a bit loose or never fully snapped in... I'd say swing by the dealer for sure on it. I've had a couple different software updates never heard of or seen this problem. Do keep in mind in ECO/PRO you cannot deselect ASS. When you go into sport it auto disables ASS you should see it indicate that.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
mgiannetto
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Is this something that just started or has it always been this way?

It is possible the connection under the switches might have come a bit loose or never fully snapped in... I'd say swing by the dealer for sure on it. I've had a couple different software updates never heard of or seen this problem. Do keep in mind in ECO/PRO you cannot deselect ASS. When you go into sport it auto disables ASS you should see it indicate that.
Started happening maybe 3-4 months after we took delivery (took delivery in Nov 2018).

Good idea on a loose connection. Will ask about that when we bring it in. OTOH, if it were that, why does it work sometimes and not others? Still will mention it.

We never use Eco/Pro and yes the auto start/stop disengages when we shift to move the shift lever manually to the left to engage sports mode. This helps when at lights, but if sitting in the car parked with the AC on (such as when my wife runs a quick errand and I am sitting in the car or me running in and her waiting) this solution is not available.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
Lecter14
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X40i M package

Quote:
Started happening maybe 3-4 months after we took delivery (took delivery in Nov 2018).

Good idea on a loose connection. Will ask about that when we bring it in. OTOH, if it were that, why does it work sometimes and not others? Still will mention it.

We never use Eco/Pro and yes the auto start/stop disengages when we shift to move the shift lever manually to the left to engage sports mode. This helps when at lights, but if sitting in the car parked with the AC on (such as when my wife runs a quick errand and I am sitting in the car or me running in and her waiting) this solution is not available.
I had a similar problem on my x5 after a software update at the agency a few weeks ago. 1 week ago the car went back to the agency to carry out a campaign and the problem appeared again, but the workshop manager told me that when they connected it to the scanner, an error code appeared and that they had to change a part or connection of the central control console, the piece must be arriving in 7-10 days for its change. In my car this happens intermittently, when I turn it off for several hours the problem is corrected, but at least they already detected the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
mgiannetto
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter14 View Post
I had a similar problem on my x5 after a software update at the agency a few weeks ago. 1 week ago the car went back to the agency to carry out a campaign and the problem appeared again, but the workshop manager told me that when they connected it to the scanner, an error code appeared and that they had to change a part or connection of the central control console, the piece must be arriving in 7-10 days for its change. In my car this happens intermittently, when I turn it off for several hours the problem is corrected, but at least they already detected the problem.
Thanks. Sound similar to my situation. Please post back and let me know if they fixed the problem (and exactly what part was replaced - include part # if possible).

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
smoky28
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d 2019

Quote:

I am having the exact same issue! Did you manage to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #14
smoky28
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d 2019

Just an update - in BMW garage, they could not fix this issue and they said they will replace the whole console as it might be faulty.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #15
dsallean
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2001 Porsche 986

I am having the same exact issue. Going to give the dealership a chance to fix it. Started with the ASS button working intermittently and they said they have ordered a new panel but that was about 6 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:27 PM   #16
iliannavy
Rep
Drives: bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter14 View Post
Hello.Did you fix the issue with central panel.What kind of connection parts they change.
Thanks
Appreciate 0