AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Exclamation Update [8/19] Here we go again guys, gremlins are back!

looks like my antenna's backup battery is done for again. I'm so annoyed because now I know the GPS will go out shortly and calls won't work... BMW still doesn't want to buy back my car, looks like I'm grabbing an attorney if they give me shit

Update [8/19/19]: I made an appt with BMW of San Antonio on August 30th since I'm off every other Friday. Their SM told me they had the same failure on an X7 recently and it seems to be occurring more often to the point where they had those parts stocked... I wish BMW NA would just do the right thing with a trade assist. In the end, I will be fighting this legally now and replace my X5 with another X5, it might take a while though.
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)

Last edited by AndroidRobot; 08-19-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
has anyone else experienced this lovely issue? I'll post my service order again from last time showing what they will have to replace.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Ugh..sorry to hear. See this thread - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598030
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

wow that sucks. I hope BMWUSA makes this right.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Oh man, I can't believe you are having problems again. If they don't buy back voluntarily, hopefully an attorney can get them to. If not, just dump it for peace of mind even if you take a huge hit on it. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post
Ugh..sorry to hear. See this thread - https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1598030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
This is my second time with the issue. I only hand wash my car, no water is being sprayed or forced around my antenna. I did just wash my car when it happened both times now and I'm very careful around the antenna. They tore that thing apart once so you'd think it was installed correctly. I wonder if they have a batch of bad gaskets or a poor design

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Oh man, I can't believe you are having problems again. If they don't buy back voluntarily, hopefully an attorney can get them to. If not, just dump it for peace of mind even if you take a huge hit on it. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
I'll do what I need, I still find it ridiculous that I'm having this issue again a month after I got the car back. I'm not going to take a hit on my car just because BMW won't take responsibility. I'd rather fight even just to prove my point. I'm an engineer and smart enough to know there's an underlying issue in my car which I knew from day 1 when my battery had a failure right after pick up. Maybe they can fool other people, I work with electronics, metal fatigue, etc daily so I'm pretty adept to these odd issues that reoccur even when everything else looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
They won't, I gave them a lot of my patience the last time, they'll most likely replace parts again and then it'll fail again
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #7
alpha265
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I had a similar problem with my X7.
My SOS function failed, GPS and all other ConnectedDrive functions failed. Dealer replaced the Telematics Unit and now all ConnectedDrive functions and GPS work perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
Seiyaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X5

I would look up your state lemon law see if you are eligible for a lemon law claim. My dealer updated my Idrive 3 times and couldn't fix the car play and touchless comfortable access problem. Once I told them I am going to talk to my attorney to file a lemon law claim, they initiated the dealer buy back almost immediately.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Sorry to hear this again Android, sucks! Its definitely a water issue and it seems that your first replacement was not installed correctly.
I had mine replaced a few months ago and knock on wood the problem has not reoccurred.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #10
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Sorry to hear this again Android, sucks! Its definitely a water issue and it seems that your first replacement was not installed correctly.
I had mine replaced a few months ago and knock on wood the problem has not reoccurred.
No surprise if it wasn't. I don't trust dealers to do things correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiyaz View Post
I would look up your state lemon law see if you are eligible for a lemon law claim. My dealer updated my Idrive 3 times and couldn't fix the car play and touchless comfortable access problem. Once I told them I am going to talk to my attorney to file a lemon law claim, they initiated the dealer buy back almost immediately.
I've gone through lemon law cases before. Texas isn't exactly a consumer-friendly state but I can make some phone calls depending on what BMW does. I bought the car in Maryland so that might change things even though I took delivery in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post

I've gone through lemon law cases before. Texas isn't exactly a consumer-friendly state but I can make some phone calls depending on what BMW does. I bought the car in Maryland so that might change things even though I took delivery in Texas.
Maybe this time a different dealer??? Sucks to see you back in the shop for a repeat!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Quote:

Maybe this time a different dealer??? Sucks to see you back in the shop for a repeat!
dealer doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure there's an underlying issue with my car based on the other electronic issues I've been having outside of the antenna related stuff. The only dealers I can take it to are all 5hrs/350miles away which isn't exactly fun but whatever. BMW NA won't field my calls because my old case manager was a POS (I'm sure you read my OP on the other issues and why I'm saying that). I'm generally a nice person, this has tested my patience
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #13
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Not a lawyer but also in Illinois where the lemon law is not consumer friendly like CA.

Go the Diminshed value route to eat away some of the negative equity and the get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
This is my second time with the issue. I only hand wash my car, no water is being sprayed or forced around my antenna. I did just wash my car when it happened both times now and I'm very careful around the antenna.
BMW designs their cars to withstand natures elements, hard driving rain, snow and ice build up. There's never been a warning that I have seen in any BMW owners manual stating their car cannot go through car washes or high pressure sprayers. IF that gasket leaked, its not your fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

This sucks, sorry. Your issues are why I am on a waiting list for a G550 allocation and looking at the Porsche Cayenne. Definitely time to call your lawyer.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
BMW designs their cars to withstand natures elements, hard driving rain, snow and ice build up. There's never been a warning that I have seen in any BMW owners manual stating their car cannot go through car washes or high pressure sprayers. IF that gasket leaked, its not your fault.
Oh I know but clearly, there's an underlying issue with my car to cause this twice in 3 months among other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
This sucks, sorry. Your issues are why I am on a waiting list for a G550 allocation and looking at the Porsche Cayenne. Definitely time to call your lawyer.
Already contacted a big firm, this is when things are going to get serious. I'm pushing for a replacement first, I still love my car and would drive another one
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #17
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
so my GPS officially died today while enroute to Dallas. it's only going to get worse until a dealer fixes it. I called all of the DFW area ones since I'm in town, not one agreed to eve look at my car. It seems BMW has made a point to force dealers not to work on my car which mind you is illegal. I've already notified the law firm I chose about this so I hope someone fixes this damn thing for the interim until BMW inevitably settles and or offers a trade assist because this X5 is a gremlin filled beast. I love my X5 and will get another one but BMW needs to fix their service and customer relations.

edit: when I click on the failure notification to request service, it goes to call then the error disappears for 30s like some kind of sick joke
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #18
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
so my GPS officially died today while enroute to Dallas. it's only going to get worse until a dealer fixes it. I called all of the DFW area ones since I'm in town, not one agreed to eve look at my car. It seems BMW has made a point to force dealers not to work on my car which mind you is illegal. I've already notified the law firm I chose about this so I hope someone fixes this damn thing for the interim until BMW inevitably settles and or offers a trade assist because this X5 is a gremlin filled beast. I love my X5 and will get another one but BMW needs to fix their service and customer relations.

edit: when I click on the failure notification to request service, it goes to call then the error disappears for 30s like some kind of sick joke
So are you thinking that BMW NA has black balled you? I guess they know by your VIN? That's horrible if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I strongly doubt BMWNA or a dealer will refuse to work on car they believe has legitimate warranty issues. I think this is personal and they don’t want to work with you since they don’t trust your claims to be legitimate warranty issues.

Why on earth would you like to stay a customer of theirs? Lemon the thing, get your money and never give them a cent again. I can’t fathom that you consider spending your hard earn money with a company that treat you like that. All of your claims with this and next BMW cars you buy will be questioned. No thanks.
Appreciate 3
LexxM31698.50
TurtleBoy13267.50
thomas_Rp126.00
      08-16-2019, 11:34 PM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:

So are you thinking that BMW NA has black balled you? I guess they know by your VIN? That's horrible if that's the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I strongly doubt BMWNA or a dealer will refuse to work on car they believe has legitimate warranty issues. I think this is personal and they don't want to work with you since they don't trust your claims to be legitimate warranty issues.

Why on earth would you like to stay a customer of theirs? Lemon the thing, get your money and never give them a cent again. I can't fathom that you consider spending your hard earn money with a company that treat you like that. All of your claims with this and next BMW cars you buy will be questioned. No thanks.
except they did because dealers need to clear work through BMW via their regional rep. once they pull my vehicles history none would touch it so explain that to me.

I drove every luxury SUV on the market and sadly this is the only one that had everything I wanted so the choices aren't really there. Porsche was a distant second and even then not in a good way.

I don't care for their CS, or handling of things, but for now I enjoy my X5 enough to get another. It's possible if I do the next one won't have whatever tied to it's vin that seems to spook dealers. I can't say for certain what's going on but I'm sure I'll find out in due time. There's a reason I made everything so public, if they force an NDA during replacement or buyback it can't apply to past info ie everything I've posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #21
Mongoose777
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X 5 M-Sport

Damn! Im sorry you are experiencing these problems.
I hope there will be some type of resolution from the dealer or BMW themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #22
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Damn, that is sucks. Sorry to hear.
AFAIK, the Sharkfin is just the cover for the antenna and it is being secured with Betalink.
They need to open it up to fix or replace the previously damaged antenna, then reseal it.
So, it is either the assembly line didn't seal it properly or it was faulty antenna, then the local dealer didn't re-seal it properly again. Or you hit a jackpot where you get a faulty antenna twice at different occasions.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0