BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Advice on 047 status

Looking for some advice on how to handle the following situation, or even if someone can just give me a reality check and tell me I need to be more patient.

Placed an order for 2020 X5 last week on the evening of August 8th. It was late, past closing hours for the dealership so the CA said he would put in the order the next day. Next day I called to add the HK sound system, and asked for an updated VIR report along with updated lease quote (expecting payment to be ~$13/month higher, but would like it in writing), and a production #. CA provided the updated VIR report but no updated lease quote or production #.

VIR has status "047 - Spec Released - no" on it basically telling me it's in the production bank, but no production # is assigned to it yet.

It's now day 4 and I still have no updated lease quote or production # from the dealership. Should I escalate this to the GSM and light a fire by threatening to take back my deposit? Or should I just wait it out? I don't want to establish a hostile relationship but the lack of communication is killing me. At the same time I wonder if I'm just being too impatient with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I would be just as impatient as you (although I wouldn't have changed the build after agreeing on it) although that may not make it right. If it was me, I would give the CA a call and tell him you need to have the updated information. If he doesn't get it to you within a day then go to the GM and ask for it. At the outset you probably want to just express some concern and not threaten to go elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I would be just as impatient as you (although I wouldn't have changed the build after agreeing on it) although that may not make it right. If it was me, I would give the CA a call and tell him you need to have the updated information. If he doesn't get it to you within a day then go to the GM and ask for it. At the outset you probably want to just express some concern and not threaten to go elsewhere.
Thanks, I'm thinking the same. I called the CA and he said he'd get me the updated lease quote. Didn't really give me a concrete answer on the production #/allocation, just generally said they get allocations all the time. But I'll wait till tomorrow, if I still don't get anything then I'll shoot an email over to the GSM.

Also wasn't sure if getting an allocation is typically an issue for something as mass produced as the X5. This is my first order experience and reading everyone else's experiences of getting the production # same day or a day after placing the order, I was concerned.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I think the assignment of the production number may depend on when the allocation slot is but not sure of that. I got my production number the next day and the VIN was assigned in another day or two.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I think allocations are handed out to dealers periodically. They use them to fill their inventory and fill customer orders as they see fit. Once they use them up they have to wait to get more. So customers get their allocation from the dealer, not the factory.

When we ordered our 2020 X5 in July before we went in the dealer told us he had 5 allocations. When we when in and finished our configuriation we left with a production number in hand and we were able to use to check status on-line when we got home.

So my guess is that your dealer is out of allocations at the moment and as soon as he gets more you will get a production number.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
I think allocations are handed out to dealers periodically. They use them to fill their inventory and fill customer orders as they see fit. Once they use them up they have to wait to get more. So customers get their allocation from the dealer, not the factory.

When we ordered our 2020 X5 in July before we went in the dealer told us he had 5 allocations. When we when in and finished our configuriation we left with a production number in hand and we were able to use to check status on-line when we got home.

So my guess is that your dealer is out of allocations at the moment and as soon as he gets more you will get a production number.
Thanks. That makes sense. And I'm fine if the dealership doesn't currently have an allocation and would inform me of it. Maybe even give me an idea of when they were expecting to get one given that it's a decent sized dealership in the Chicagoland area.

But the lack of communication and general vagueness of the CA's responses are just killing me. As of now I don't know if I'll get the car in 1 month or 6 months.... or ever for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Just an update - spoke to the CA again, he said still no allocations so still no production #, but that new allocations should be released this month and my build will be assigned to that new batch.

As for the updated lease quote, he sent me a picture of the old lease quote, highlighted the monthly payment and hand wrote "+$15 for harmon kardon" and then wrote in a new monthly payment.

I guess as long as it's from him that should suffice....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Just an update - spoke to the CA again, he said still no allocations so still no production #, but that new allocations should be released this month and my build will be assigned to that new batch.

As for the updated lease quote, he sent me a picture of the old lease quote, highlighted the monthly payment and hand wrote "+$15 for harmon kardon" and then wrote in a new monthly payment.

I guess as long as it's from him that should suffice....
Invoice on HK is $805 - or approx $22 over a 3 yr lease. Handwritten +$15 is

Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Invoice on HK is $805 - or approx $22 over a 3 yr lease. Handwritten +$15 is
Well considering residual is 55%, I'd only expect to pay 45% of the price of the option plus tax & interest. So anywhere between $12-$15 is appropriate. I just wanted it in writing so that there's no surprises whenever I do go to pick up the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Called again today as I still don't have a production #, and as of tomorrow it'll have been 2 weeks since I put the deposit down.

The CA tried feeding me some BS about how nobody really has allocations yet because the plant is retooling for 2020 model builds. So I called him out on his BS.

He said he'd get get back to me by later today.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
It's now been 2 weeks and a day since placing my deposit and I still have no production #. I finally resorted to threatening to take back my deposit today, and the CA called me back saying that they magically had an allocation, so I should be getting a production # by end of day.

I told him to call me back today with that information. I wait till 10 minutes before the dealership is about to close, still no call, so I call him. He says he doesn't have anything for me and the manager who inputs the builds has left for the day, but that he would give me a call first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking I'll be requesting a refund tomorrow and go elsewhere, it's obvious this dealer is playing games.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
It's now been 2 weeks and a day since placing my deposit and I still have no production #. I finally resorted to threatening to take back my deposit today, and the CA called me back saying that they magically had an allocation, so I should be getting a production # by end of day.

I told him to call me back today with that information. I wait till 10 minutes before the dealership is about to close, still no call, so I call him. He says he doesn't have anything for me and the manager who inputs the builds has left for the day, but that he would give me a call first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking I'll be requesting a refund tomorrow and go elsewhere, it's obvious this dealer is playing games.

Unless you a getting a tremendous deal that no other dealers will come close to, I say get the deposit back and go elsewhere. If they treat you this bad during the sales process just think what it will be like when you need service.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

From my recollection the build allocations are given to dealers on a month to month basis. Like; here's your allocations for vehicles being built in August (maybe, July 20-25th), and on August 20-25 you'll get your allocations for vehicles being built in Sept. and so on and so forth.

If you go at the end of a month and they don't have an available open customer allocation to be specced, you're going to wait until the tail of the next month for that allocation to be built.

Now, usually each allocation will be scheduled for 1 of the 4-5 build weeks in it's month. But, say allocations go out today; your build spec is final. Your dealer locks up an production # with your exact build - the status changes to one that reflects sold to a customer and specced. That allocation will normally rise to the front of the build queue, with any other immediately submitted builds.

Now, I can't guarantee that's the process with the G05's, but it is what hundreds hours of mind melting searching/reading/asking/etc. led me to while waiting almost a year on an individual build car.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

^ That seems to go along with my understanding of the process but that doesn't mean you can keep putting off and misleading a customer. The CA in this case is doing an abysmal job.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #15
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Unless you a getting a tremendous deal that no other dealers will come close to, I say get the deposit back and go elsewhere. If they treat you this bad during the sales process just think what it will be like when you need service.
This. I had a production number within 5 days of placing my order. Definitely find another dealer.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #16
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

^ My understanding of the process too. But your dealer should explain the process to you. Do you think your dealer is using his allocations for bigger ticket sales than yours? You could ask him that point-blank. Why not call another dealer and at least ask it the had an allocation available if you were to buy a car today? That would give you some idea if sales were outrunning allocations in your area.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #17
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Yeah so I placed the deposit on Wednesday, 8/7. It's now 8/23 and no production #. I did call around and a dealership about 45 minutes north of me still has 15 allocations. From my understanding if one dealership doesn't have allocations, they can just request one from another dealership that does have them.

This other dealership is matching the same offer, and said they can get me a production # same day.

If this dealership was straight with me from the get go, I would have no problem being patient. But they've been feeding me constant BS every time I contacted them.

Here's my timeline:

8/7 - Placed the deposit

8/8 - Requested to add a feature to the build, and had dealership resend the updated VIR report. Also requested an updated lease quote since the added feature would change the MSRP. Dealership sent VIR report but no updated quote.

8/9 - Called dealership and again asked for updated lease quote, as well as a production #. Was told I'd get both in a couple days.

8/14 - Still no updated lease quote or production #. I call CA again and tell them I need an updated lease quote. They send me a picture of the old lease quote with numbers crossed off and new monthly payment amount handwritten in. I reply back to the email saying thanks, and to please keep me updated on production #. I send a separate email to the GM asking about when they're expecting more allocations - No reply.

8/19 - Still have heard nothing. Send an email to CA asking about any updates with production # - No reply.

8/20 - Call CA, ask him if they truly have no allocations, why haven't they asked for one from another dealership (at this point I've verified with another dealership in the area who has confirmed they have 15 allocations available). CA says nobody has allocations because the SC plant is retooling for 2020 builds. I tell him that's not true, they began production of the 2020 models in July. He says he'll look into it and get back to me. CA calls me back couple hours later saying yes other dealerships do have allocations, and they should have a production # to me "within a day or two".

8/22 - No update from CA, so I call him in frustration asking why a 15 minute process has taken over 2 weeks at this point. CA says well other dealerships have to be willing to give up an allocation, again I dispute this saying dealerships trade allocations all the time without any issue. CA says the manager who enters in builds has gone for the day. I threaten to take back my deposit. CA says he'll look into it. CA calls back in a couple hours saying they've now found an allocation, and the manager who enters the builds has not left for the day, and they might have the production # to me by tonight. I say then I need a call back tonight. CA does not call back. I call 10 minutes before dealership closes, CA says he does not have a production # for me but it's "probably" in the system so he can check on it tomorrow.

8/23 - No contact from the CA. Once a build has been assigned an allocation, it's made public to other dealerships to be able to see. The other dealership I've been in contact with sends me a screenshot showing still nothing out of the dealership I'm working with, meaning they still haven't done anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
^ My understanding of the process too. But your dealer should explain the process to you. Do you think your dealer is using his allocations for bigger ticket sales than yours? You could ask him that point-blank. Why not call another dealer and at least ask it the had an allocation available if you were to buy a car today? That would give you some idea if sales were outrunning allocations in your area.
In talks with the other dealership (I have an acquaintance that works as a CA there so I trust his word), the only reason he can think of for them stalling like this is that they're hedging on the conquest rebate coming back, and also hoping I won't know about it so that they can claim it for themselves, and that's how they're justifying the deal they gave me.

I don't know if that's actually the case, but with everything else that's gone on with this dealership, lying to me and feeding me BS every step of the way, I wouldn't be surprised.

I should have walked away when the first red flag went up - After they agreed to my price, I asked for a detailed breakdown including monthly payment amount, MF etc. They came back with a monthly payment figure roughly $80/month higher than what I calculated. When I told them it looks off, they accused me of missing something in my calculation (I was using the leasehackr calculator). I told them they need to double check on theirs. They then come back and claim that they "forgot to hit enter" in their system.

This dealership has been nothing but shady, with questionable ethics.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

No need to fool around anymore, just go in and demand your deposit back.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No need to fool around anymore, just go in and demand your deposit back.
Deposit requested!

And new order being worked out with different dealership.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy12885.00
RowanBuds1707.00
      08-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Good luck on the new order. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00
      08-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

There's a saying "Starts bad, ends bad" ... Good that you cut ties with this dealership you obviously were having trust issues with. Did the other dealer match their number?
Appreciate 1
wtwo317882.00