BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
BUYSELLFIL
NASDAQ
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60

AT&T Wi-Fi (G05)

So I took delivery on Wednesday and went to setup the free trial. Spoke to AT&T @ 1 (866) 595-1222. All of the team members are offshore and some are very tough to understand.

I gave them the car's mobile number which was provided to me by the Lead Genus at my delivering dealership. He congratulated me on the free trial and went over the terms. I gave him my old X5's cell number so that he could cancel that service at the same time. Never had an issue with my F15. He explained that he would send out an email with the Terms of Service and then the trial would be active. He disconnected and I realized later that night the email never showed up.

I logged into the following website: www.att.com/bmw and entered the phone number and created an account. It told me that it needed a credit card number and I entered it. Congratulations, you have subscribed to Unlimited Data @ $20/mo USD. What?!?!?!?! What about my trial?

I called the following day as they were not opened past 9pm EST and was told they couldn't get the free trial back. They didn't know what happened and told me it must have been used during the car being a demo.... Car came into the dealership and was delivered to me 2 days later. It was NEVER a demo.....

Long story short, no trial subscription and 7 calls to AT&T and we can't get the data to work. Shows the device is connected to Wi-Fi but no content loads on any of the phones in the vehicle.

I am completely stumped. Was told by the same Lead Genus to reset the system because I also lost all audio today as the car thought a phone call was in progress and only wanted to adjust the call volume.

The reset fixed the volume issue but AT&T resending a signal to the car 3 times as yet to resolve the issue.....

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

If BMW Genius can't help, cut your losses and take it in for service. Tell them to figure it out and only return the car to you once the free trial is activated.

At&t wireless is a nightmare. They have complete morons working for them. Thank Randall Stephenson for his leadership that sacrifices customer service for the all mighty buck.
      08-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #3
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Looks like the Genius was not that genius! you might be trapped into the "Locked contract" now and it might be hard to reset things from here but keep trying because I recall I had a same kind of situation with my Q7 (a bit different scenario because they assigned and registered two different VINs to me and one of them expired in a week and expired my trial time too).

Mind you, probably it's only your SA which can help you this now. Stick to the Dealer to save your time instead of calling AT&T.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I turned mine off because the entertainment system is junk. My father in law who works at Chrysler was making fun of me when he was in my car because I I to keep adding my phone to bluetooth. Having the wifi resolves the issue of it not being able to connect....50% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
BUYSELLFIL
NASDAQ
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60

mystery has been solved....... I think....

IMEI was not correct in the AT&T system. It will take a couple of days and it should be updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

this att wifi shit is complete junk and nothing but issues with. I cannot use my iphone normally with carplay as this crap keeps tryign to connect and due to the fact that i dont use att it disconnects me from carplay. In order for me to fix this i need to delete and readd my phone back.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUYSELLFIL View Post
mystery has been solved....... I think....

IMEI was not correct in the AT&T system. It will take a couple of days and it should be updated.
Did it finally work after updating IMEI? did you have to call ATT to give your IMEI to them?
Who provided IMEI to you? dealer or BMW assist?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
vinnymac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Did it finally work after updating IMEI? did you have to call ATT to give your IMEI to them?
Who provided IMEI to you? dealer or BMW assist?
I would really like to know this answer as well. I have been trying to get my AT&T WiFi to work since early July. AT&T customer service and technical support has been worthless. My dealer's BMW genius has been working on it for 3 weeks without any results. In the meantime, the only thing that is working is AT&T's billing department because they are charging me for the service.
Appreciate 0