Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Waze and Google Maps not working in apple carplay

08-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
peacefulshade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 & BMW X3 35i F25

Waze and Google Maps not working in apple carplay

Hey Guys

Just in case someone has an issue similar to mine I'll leave my experience here.

Whenever I opened Waze or Google Maps and started driving they constantly thought I took the next turn even though I continued straight, this even happened with U turns which made Waze go specially crazy because it thought I was going in the exact opposite direction!

This cause the route to be recalculated and I missed a ton of turns because of the error.

The error turned out to be an old iDrive 7 version with which my car was delivered.

I took the car to the dealer and they updated my iDrive 7 software to the latest version; this solved the issue and now Waze and Google maps work flawlessly on the awesome central screen in my G20; it is a dream come true!

Important Note:
I live in a country where OTA (over the air) updates are disabled and seeing the system version is not possible, if you are in the US or Europe and Waze/Google Maps go crazy AND you are in the latest iDrive version then your problem might be different =(

I hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Don’t understand what iDrive 7 has to do with CarPlay apps other than displaying them on the screen. Both Waze and google maps are running from your phone.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Don't understand what iDrive 7 has to do with CarPlay apps other than displaying them on the screen. Both Waze and google maps are running from your phone.
+1
      08-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
ferbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 2019 Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulshade View Post
Hey Guys

Just in case someone has an issue similar to mine I'll leave my experience here.

Whenever I opened Waze or Google Maps and started driving they constantly thought I took the next turn even though I continued straight, this even happened with U turns which made Waze go specially crazy because it thought I was going in the exact opposite direction!

This cause the route to be recalculated and I missed a ton of turns because of the error.

The error turned out to be an old iDrive 7 version with which my car was delivered.

I took the car to the dealer and they updated my iDrive 7 software to the latest version; this solved the issue and now Waze and Google maps work flawlessly on the awesome central screen in my G20; it is a dream come true!

Important Note:
I live in a country where OTA (over the air) updates are disabled and seeing the system version is not possible, if you are in the US or Europe and Waze/Google Maps go crazy AND you are in the latest iDrive version then your problem might be different =(

I hope this helps!

What i level you car had before the update and what after? Mine has 18-11-557 and am experiencing the same issue.
Appreciate 0