E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoking from engine?

08-09-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Ghibli
Ghibli
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Hey I replaced the valve cover, the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and coils but the engine is still smoking and the "Service engine soon" light is still on. Any ideas? It's a 2007 335i coupe. 86,000 miles.
      08-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

What codes are you throwing?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Ghibli
Ghibli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
What codes are you throwing?
Guy at a 3rd party garage said cylinder 3 is misfiring and my car is shakey and I don't have full power when I want to floor it.
      08-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Your gonna want to get the trouble codes first. If it's just a misfire cylinder 3, and you replaced the coil and plug, next culprit could be the injector. What color is the smoke?

You dont want to be driving it around with a potentially stuck injector.

Also, should probobly find a new mechanic who knows these cars well, surprised he'd give it back to you in this condition.
      08-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #5
Ghibli
Ghibli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Your gonna want to get the trouble codes first. If it's just a misfire cylinder 3, and you replaced the coil and plug, next culprit could be the injector. What color is the smoke?

Also, should probobly find a new mechanic who knows these cars well, surprised he'd give it back to you in this condition.
I can't tell what the color is but it smells like something's burning. It smokes every time I drive it. I think it's still leaking oil too. This car sucks lol but Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I'm new to fixing my own car and bmw's in general so forgive me if I sound like a moron haha.
      08-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghibli View Post
Quote:

I can't tell what the color is but it smells like something's burning. It smokes every time I drive it. I think it's still leaking oil too. This car sucks lol but Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I'm new to fixing my own car and bmw's in general so forgive me if I sound like a moron haha.
Is it smoking out the tail pipes or from the engine bay? My response was based on smoke from the tailpipes.
      09-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
Ghibli
Ghibli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghibli View Post
Quote:

Is it smoking out the tail pipes or from the engine bay? My response was based on smoke from the tailpipes.
It was the valve cover gasket that needed to be replaced. I did didn't put it on correctly so I think the oil was leaking onto the exhaust. car still reads misfires however.