E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Remap on 335D Questions

08-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Remap on 335D Questions

From what i've read, am i right in saying that if you buy a remap, with or without a dyno run, you get the same map regardless?

The dyno run is just to show the before and after i.e relative gains?

Should i get the car remapped the same day i get it, or get used to it std and then get it remapped?

Cheers

PS - I'm new to Beemers, but on Audi-sport.net we got group buys and discounts? Is that the same here?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

i had my 335D remaped about 3 monthes after i bought it, simon at emaps said he maps a lot of brand new cars, but i thought it might be a good idea to at least run the car for a few thousand miles before mapping.

I think emaps do a discount group buy, if you can find someone in the roughly the same area to you that is.

Yes you are right , there is no difference between mapping a car and then using a dyno afterwards, except with the dyno you have the reasurance the car is performing/has the gains what the mapper said it would. Plus you get a pretty little graph ... i didnt have a dyno, as emaps came to my home address and did the car there, but a few miles in the car afterwards is enough to tell you have your moneys worth

good luck and enjoy the new car !

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
i had my 335D remaped about 3 monthes after i bought it, simon at emaps said he maps a lot of brand new cars, but i thought it might be a good idea to at least run the car for a few thousand miles before mapping.
The car is new to me, and 9000miles on the clock. So should be perfect for tuning.

Quote:
I think emaps do a discount group buy, if you can find someone in the roughly the same area to you that is.
Cheers - will look into, but considering there are no 335's on bmw.co.uk in Scotland at the moment (i'm in glasgow) i might be hard pushed to find someone

Quote:
Yes you are right , there is no difference between mapping a car and then using a dyno afterwards, except with the dyno you have the reasurance the car is performing/has the gains what the mapper said it would. Plus you get a pretty little graph ... i didnt have a dyno, as emaps came to my home address and did the car there, but a few miles in the car afterwards is enough to tell you have your moneys worth

good luck and enjoy the new car !
Cheers CD - pick it up on 27th. Itching to get it! Currently drive a 2001 S3, so will be night and day in terms of torque and refinement.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
hi and welcome allready thinking about remap before driving it, now thats hardcore tuning, 335d is a great engine umapped but remapped a beast and very quick, click this link we did a dyno run few months ago there was 5 335d's there very mapped by different company, price wise £350-700ish and the results was the cheaper maps very the same,we had a 635d there and i heard he give 1000 i think for the map and it was the same as everyone elses,
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=surrey
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

CD has pretty much answered most of your questions, however here are a few of my thoughts.

The maps you can buy are not all the same. In general they will all give the similar peak power and torque figures (anywhere between 320-340bhp and 480-520lb/ft), however the way these maps are written will dictate how well you car drives (e.g driveability). An example is that I used to run a certain companies map that whilst offering the usual power / torque gains it didn't give me a very nice car to drive, the power delivery was "spikey" on part throttle which for me became a pain as I do most of my driving on the M1 / A1 / M25, it also felt very breathless at light throttle and low revs...which for me just wasn't right. The only time it was ok was when my foot was flat on the throttle...but you can't drive the car like that all of the time.

I had the map changed by DMS (a couple of times) and the map was superb, driveability was excellent almost like having a different car.

I have since had the map changed again by Evolve, this gives a touch more power / torque but maintains the excellent driveability.

If you are going to go down this route then ideally you need to use one of the established tuners for the 335d / E90, these are:

Evolve - www.evolveyourcar.com (forum sponsers on here)
DMS Automotive
E-Maps

Another option is to contact Ant of Speed Religion as he can offer remaps, although apart from his own car I don't know of too many others whpo run his maps.

Here is a link to a thread for my remap via Evolve - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155537

Hope this helps
Jules.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the read JJ and for you input Jules.

Driveability is key for me. I wouldn't be getting beemer otherwise. So a smooth curve rather than headline figures seems to be the key (i think)

I'm picking up my car in Cornwall, so thought i could swing by DMS on the way back to London (stopping of for a few days) before coming home (Glasgow).

But i'll give Evolve a look too thanks as i am at Silverstone the day after i get my car, and stopping off there wouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks again guys.

PS - cheeky question. As forum sponsors, do evolve do a forum price? Also if they map gets wiped at service do the replace FOC like DMS?

Last edited by misterS3; 08-16-2008 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Jude1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
PS - cheeky question. As forum sponsors, do evolve do a forum price? Also if they map gets wiped at service do the replace FOC like DMS?
Yes they do. Give them a call.

Jules.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1 View Post
Yes they do. Give them a call.

Jules.