F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F36 AC turns ON while the car is shut off
proTUNING Freaks

08-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
zombik
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

F36 AC turns ON while the car is shut off

Hey guys! For the last couple days Ive been having this weird issue with the car. Once the car is completely shut off and locked the AC turns on The first time that I realized this was when I was walking up to the car and the compressor or vent was working then I tried to open the car with the keyless function and it was not unlocking. When I got into the car the screen was showing the message of "Increased battery discharge battery". Yesterday I was inside the car with everything turnoff and all the sudden the AC start running

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
I have a video if you guys think it would help.

Thank you!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombik View Post
Hey guys! For the last couple days Ive been having this weird issue with the car. Once the car is completely shut off and locked the AC turns on The first time that I realized this was when I was walking up to the car and the compressor or vent was working then I tried to open the car with the keyless function and it was not unlocking. When I got into the car the screen was showing the message of "Increased battery discharge battery". Yesterday I was inside the car with everything turnoff and all the sudden the AC start running

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?
I have a video if you guys think it would help.

Thank you!!!!!
Sounds like an electrical problem somewhere or something. That's odd, I've never seen that before
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
///M248
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralF30 View Post
Sounds like an electrical problem somewhere or something. That's odd, I've never seen that before
+1on this. Install and diagnose with ISTA /D is your best bet. Find suspect modules/ecu’s and disconnect them one by one to rule out the culprit
2014 F33 435i M Sport N55 EWG - MHD - Wagner HFC - VRSF 6" Race FMIC, CP & TIC - GFB DV+ - FuelIT Stage 3 525 - EOS PI - Turner Strut Brace - Bilstein B14 - M-LSD - Turner Aluminum Subframe Mounts - PowerFlex Adjustable LCA & TS Bushings - H&R Sway Bars - Dorch Stage 1 HPFP
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Turbontk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F36

May want to check your settings in i drive for the climate timers.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
zombik
Rep

Sorry Ive been busy with work. I brought the car to a mechanic to diagnose what is wrong with the car, they found one of the blowers weren’t working properly. After they changed it, the same day the car did the same thing so they recommend me to bring it to the dealer. The car has been there since Wednesday and Im still waiting for them to call me and see if they figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very unusual problem. Please share an update with the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

You sure it’s not the climate timers like asked above?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
zombik
Rep

I don't think so because it comes on when the car is fully shut plus its been a week and the car is still at the dealer and they could not replicate the problem so far...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Certainly makes sense that you could have an electrical problem. But in the off chance that is not the case, the timed climate control does work via the bmw connected app and can be set to turn on when ever you want including remotely via a timer setting on the app. It blows air when the car is shut off (including when locked). I use it when it is really hot out to try to cool the car a bit before I walk from my office to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
zombik
Rep

I have news guys, the dealer called me today and said what I was expecting... they couldn't duplicate the problem (the manager even drove the car home and kept it overnight to see if it would happen again) so after paying the regulatory $300 I'm back home hoping it doesn't happen again.
PS: I have checked the climate timer and I don't have any timer set in the car or on the BMW APP.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
zombik
Rep

Well it has been a couple days with the car and it seems like the problem went away by it self. I have a question though, do you guys think could it have been from driving it thru heavy rain and going over some big puddles of water some of the electrical connections got wet? I say that because back in the day if you where driving a gas car thru a good amount of water the wheels could splash water to some electrical components or wet the air intake filter causing the car to stall. Not sure if that scenario would apply with the newer cars but its a thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 12:27 AM   #12
zombik
Rep

Sorry for the refloat of the post but I did not want to open a new one since this one here still open.

Well the problem came two months after BMW couldn’t find anything wrong. Now it seems the problem got way worst.
It is still turning the compressor on while the car is off and draining the battery but now the AC has a mind of its own, sometimes it blows cold air sometimes just from the driver side vents, sometimes while it is selected for the air to come from the windshield defrost it comes to the feet, auto and Max AC sometimes work some doesn’t. The Heater doesn’t work at all, it just blows air.
I changed the thermostat and the water pump, did not fixed the heater issue. Took it to a specialized AC shop and they change the blower, blower resistor and the climate control controller and it is still doing whatever the car wants.
Oh and I checked the fuses, all seemed in good shape.
Any help at all? I don’t want to take it to a shop/ dealer because I am not willing to keep throwing the money on parts that don’t have to be changed that early, the car has just 55k miles!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #13
Beemn Milan
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F36 435i GC/JCW Works Cup Car

i had an issue where we had not hot air on the right side...and that ended up being a replacement heater core, so entire dash out job, but was never mental like yours
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #14
snaken
Vitalijus
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

I have recently bought F30 320d 2014 and have similar issues.
First everything was fine, but few weeks when the outside temperature got colder (around + 5 degrees Celsius) the air blower motor started to perform weirdly. When you start the car and outside temperature below +5, the motor blower is not working, but after you drive few miles and the engine warms up the blower start working fine (you can change the blow speed, so I assumed it is not the resistor). When the outside temperature is warmer that approx. +6 celsius, the motor blower works fine straight when you start the car.
But in both cases, when the blower "works" it also sometimes behaves weird as you said "AC has a mind of its own" and randomly changes where the air blows from.
And on top of that few times had same issue with the air come from the windshield defrost after the car is turned off, but if that is the case I just start the engine again and turn it off and that solves the issue.
Appreciate 0