BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Anyone try ordering without privacy glass?

I plan on tinting my windows and would rather have ceramic film on the car that can dissipate heat so the privacy glass just becomes something I need to work around. I was wondering if anyone here has tried to order their car without (420) privacy glass?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

The privacy glass does not impact putting ceramic film on at all.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The one advantage I could see leaving the privacy glass off is if you're planning on tinting you will get a consistent look from your front windows and your rear windows. I have yet to find a ceramic film that comes close to matching the color hue of privacy glass.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:19 PM   #4
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

In the US I don’t think it is possible to get clear glass in the rear windows . My guess is that it has to do with safety testing and the fact that the cars tested have privacy glass and so that is the only glass that can be sold here. In other counties you can of course get clear glass all Around. Australia for example.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
Pictor
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
The privacy glass does not impact putting ceramic film on at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
The one advantage I could see leaving the privacy glass off is if you're planning on tinting you will get a consistent look from your front windows and your rear windows. I have yet to find a ceramic film that comes close to matching the color hue of privacy glass.
I realize I can still put ceramic tint on the windows but as VTENGR said, it's difficult to color match. Good shops will get close but there is always a slight difference in hue. I would rather start with clear windows if I can and avoid the need to find a good match.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      08-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
I realize I can still put ceramic tint on the windows but as VTENGR said, it's difficult to color match. Good shops will get close but there is always a slight difference in hue. I would rather start with clear windows if I can and avoid the need to find a good match.
I to was worried about color match. I did the 80% all around and it matches. I could see if you go darker that could end up looking much darker in the rear. I have not seen one on the lot that doesn't have factory colored windows... Actually the more I think about it does any manufacture of SAV/SUV have none colored in the back??? A quick google search says no.... Update us with your findings!!
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I to was worried about color match. I did the 80% all around and it matches. I could see if you go darker that could end up looking much darker in the rear. I have not seen one on the lot that doesn't have factory colored windows... Actually the more I think about it does any manufacture of SAV/SUV have none colored in the back??? A quick google search says no.... Update us with your findings!!
That's b/c 80% is hardly any tint at all. When you get into the darker tints, like 30% and below, you will see there is a pretty noticable difference in the hue of the windows.

On my ML I have 20% on the front windows and as you approach the car, you can see that my front windows have almost a purple hue to them, whereas the back windows simply look black. I'm not sure how dark Ceramic tints can get, for some reason 15% is coming to me, but if given the option, I would get plain windows and go as dark as possible in the back and have the fronts at the legal limit (no need getting pulled over just b/c your windows are dark). That way all the windows will be the same color, at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's b/c 80% is hardly any tint at all. When you get into the darker tints, like 30% and below, you will see there is a pretty noticable difference in the hue of the windows.

On my ML I have 20% on the front windows and as you approach the car, you can see that my front windows have almost a purple hue to them, whereas the back windows simply look black. I'm not sure how dark Ceramic tints can get, for some reason 15% is coming to me, but if given the option, I would get plain windows and go as dark as possible in the back and have the fronts at the legal limit (no need getting pulled over just b/c your windows are dark). That way all the windows will be the same color, at least.
Yup fully agree with you, I did 80% because of how dark it made the privacy I didn't see the need to go darker. I like the ceramic for the protection it offers more than how dark it goes. I honestly cannot locate a single SUV/SAV that doesn't have factory privacy now adays... I made it a side mission of mine for fun to locate one
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup fully agree with you, I did 80% because of how dark it made the privacy I didn't see the need to go darker. I like the ceramic for the protection it offers more than how dark it goes. I honestly cannot locate a single SUV/SAV that doesn't have factory privacy now adays... I made it a side mission of mine for fun to locate one
Doubt you find one state side. It would be nice if that was one of those "optional" standard features that you could decline, just no one ever knew you could. If all the X5s in the world are made in SC, and some countries get no tint - why can't the US cars be optioned that way? Could it be the US regs for glass are different so the no tint glass does not meet specs? IDK.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      08-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
A1723
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 3.0 xDrive, 2020 X4M

Quote:
Quote:

Try Porsche. It is optional in their configurator.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
Pictor
Major
Rep

Garage List
The non-tinted windows where available in the US on the base model E53's. I know BMW still offers it for the G05 in other markets. The included "option" code for the tinted windows is S420A which makes me think it's possible. I also see the part number for the windows without "Sun Protection Glazing" although that seems to also omit the possibility to get "Acoustic Comfort Windows." I'll have to try and see what happens.
Appreciate 0