BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
cwiginton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

Laser Headlight Question

I have a gate access sticker that I need to affix to my headlight (instructions say not to affix to windshield if you have rain sensing wipers). Is there are particular location that is better than others on the laser headlight assembly to place this sticker? I don't want to mess up the auto dimming function. Also, for reference, it needs to be affixed to the left headlight because of where the gate sensor is located.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Why not place it just below the headlight? Or if it is small enough then between the grill and the headlight? There are so many places to put it on the left side except the headlight...i am so confused why even bring this up? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Why not place it just below the headlight? Or if it is small enough then between the grill and the headlight? There are so many places to put it on the left side except the headlight...i am so confused why even bring this up? lol
Sorry that I have somehow confused you by asking a question. Yes, there are certainly a lot of different options on the left-hand side of the vehicle for a sticker to be placed. It is an RFID sticker and instructions specifically state that it either has to be placed on the windshield (for non-rain sensing vehicles) or on the headlight itself for the RFID to work. Now I am not an expert in RFID, but I am trying to follow the instructions and am asking a question specific to the G05 with laser headlights. All I want to do is to make sure there is no place on the headlamp itself that is off limits because I really like the auto-dimming function and do not want to inhibit this function.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

You can't place an RFID tag on metal unless the tag and equipment that reads it is made for placing it on metal. That's why they probably want it on the Windshield or Headlight.

https://www.rfidjournal.com/blogs/experts/entry?11528
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwiginton View Post
I have a gate access sticker that I need to affix to my headlight (instructions say not to affix to windshield if you have rain sensing wipers). Is there are particular location that is better than others on the laser headlight assembly to place this sticker? I don't want to mess up the auto dimming function. Also, for reference, it needs to be affixed to the left headlight because of where the gate sensor is located.

Thanks.
What's the diameter of the sticker?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Sorry that I have somehow confused you by asking a question. Yes, there are certainly a lot of different options on the left-hand side of the vehicle for a sticker to be placed. It is an RFID sticker and instructions specifically state that it either has to be placed on the windshield (for non-rain sensing vehicles) or on the headlight itself for the RFID to work. Now I am not an expert in RFID, but I am trying to follow the instructions and am asking a question specific to the G05 with laser headlights. All I want to do is to make sure there is no place on the headlamp itself that is off limits because I really like the auto-dimming function and do not want to inhibit this function.
There's no simple answer for those, like me, who are not RFID tech. However, I would not place any kind of sticker on a plastic lense, which is what your headlight lense is. You will only do damage to the lense when/if trying to remove/replace it.
Rain sensors are at the top center of your windshield, why can't you place the sticker, assuming its only like 1x2" or so, on the drivers side lower windshield? Not sure where you put registration stickers in Alabama but even if they are on the lower drivers side, you still have room for your RFID sticker. Did the instructions say why not to put it on the windshield if you have rain sensing wipers? They afraid it will trigger the wipers? Heck, you can certainly test that theory...find a suitable place on your windshield and temporarily tape the RFID tag there, turn on your wipers to the sensing mode and give it a test or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
It is 1/2" x 4 1/2". The instructions also say that the RFID sticker must be installed vertically.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
It is 1/2" x 4 1/2". The instructions also say that the RFID sticker must be installed vertically.
I would put that on the edge of the windshield personally. It won't interfere with the rain sensing wipers if it is on the edge - the IR sensor only looks at the glass area immediately in front of it (top centre), not the whole windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Geez, that freak'n huge! I would do as russelldav said. I'm not one for any kind of stickers on my car but when forced would only choose to put them on glass so they can be removed without permanent or expensive damage. Like I said, tape it on, go through the gate to be sure the reader sees it and then turn on your sensor function of your wipers, my money is on the fact that they will be just fine. Once you're done testing, peel and stick the tag.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

It depends on how the windshield senses rain. Some rain-sensing windshields are made with some metal dispersed throughout them to make them infared reflecting. RFID tags won't work on these windshields unless they specially made for that kind of installation or put in part of the windshield that doesn't have infrared reflecting glass.

Here is a list of cars that need SunPass RFID tags mounted in special locations.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sun...sponders.shtml

Most of these places are by the review mirror but is; but sounds like the OP has instructions to mount it elsewhere.

Some BMW's have these kinds of windshields, but I don't know if any of the current ones do.

I think the current BMW's use the camera by the rearview mirror to count rain drops and don't depend on the so-called "Infrared Reflecting Glass". Maybe your dealer can give you some info about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
It depends on how the windshield senses rain. Some rain-sensing windshields are made with some metal dispersed throughout them to make them infared reflecting. RFID tags won't work on these windshields unless they specially made for that kind of installation or put in part of the windshield that doesn't have infrared reflecting glass.

Here is a list of cars that need SunPass RFID tags mounted in special locations.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sun...sponders.shtml

Most of these places are by the review mirror but is; but sounds like the OP has instructions to mount it elsewhere.

Some BMW's have these kinds of windshields, but I don't know if any of the current ones do.

I think the current BMW's use the camera by the rearview mirror to count rain drops and don't depend on the so-called "Infrared Reflecting Glass". Maybe your dealer can give you some info about that.
Right, the RFID folks have no clue what cars people will put their tags on so they play it safe with generic instructions and warnings. The thing to do it simply test out various locations by using temporary tape just to hold it in place and then peel and stick once you know where to put it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I would tape it to the windshield in a few different spots before permanently adhering it. that way you can see what works and what doesn't. If the GO5 doesn't use the IR technology for the rain sensing, you will know soon b/c it won't work. If it does work, then you're golden and you can install it inconspicuously on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
cwiginton
Private
Rep

Spoke with dealership and they said BMW recommends putting those types of stickers in the lower left corner of the windshield. I'll tape it in that section to see if it works before I permanently stick it there.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Spoke with dealership and they said BMW recommends putting those types of stickers in the lower left corner of the windshield. I'll tape it in that section to see if it works before I permanently stick it there.
Appreciate 0