BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #1
Kripster
Techie
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Tax credit for leasing EV

Just read that it's the leasing company, not the end customer that's officially entitled to the government tax credit. Though it can b passed on to end customer. Any tips on making sure we do indeed benefit from the tax credit?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I think that it will be very hard to confirm that somehow you are getting the rebate. The leasing company is, in effect, paying less for the cars because of the rebate they receive and so should be able to make the lease less expensive. All leasing companies are getting the rebate and they have to compete with each on the price of their product.

It's really no different than if you buy the car outright and then sell it to someone else after a year or two. Will you pass the part of the rebate on to the person that buys the car from you? Again, whether you got a rebate or not, you will be competing on price with all the other used cars that are for sale and that will set what price you can get for your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

The lease company gets it, but here is how you negotiate.

If you are buying the car and they agree to 10% off MSRP then they should also agree to 10% off MSRP with a lease PLUS the tax rebate.

Just tell them you will pay cash, negotiate the price then say you will lease and you want the same discount + tax rebate. If they say no walk away.

**Sometimes there are lease incentives that are not included for purchasing so make sure you check that too and you add that on there as well.
Appreciate 0