F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pure Turbos Stage2 N55 EWG- anyone running 93 Octane?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-30-2019, 12:14 AM   #1
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Pure Turbos Stage2 N55 EWG- anyone running 93 Octane?

Has anyone upgraded their N55 EWG engine to a Pure Turbos Stage2 turbo AND running just 93 octane pump gas?

Had a conversation with a tech resource at Pure Turbos today who said that their Stage1 turbo is a very minor upgrade (not worth it) to the OEM N55 EWG stock turbo. He claimed that the PT Stage2 turbo would be a quick-spooling significant power upgrade.

The interesting thing was that he claimed that the other mods that I keep reading that are necessary for PT Stage2 are not necessary if my intention is to only run 93 octane pump gas. (Not talking about mods I already have like CP, FMIC, DP, BootMod3 Stage2)

The PT Stage2 required mods that I keep reading about are things like DV+, PT larger turbo input pipe, N20 MAP sensor, higher pressure fuel pump(s), etc. (Of course, I would upgrade to an appropriate BootMod3 tune for the PT Stage2 turbo.)

Has anyone upgraded their N55 EWG to a Pure Turbos Stage2 AND you are only running 93 octane pump gas? Have you needed to do the additional mods or not?

For a daily driver in stop and go traffic, etc, does the Pure Turbos Stage2 turbo add any perceptible turbo lag from standing starts, etc?

Thanks for any input!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
cjlane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Has anyone upgraded their N55 EWG engine to a Pure Turbos Stage2 turbo AND running just 93 octane pump gas?

Had a conversation with a tech resource at Pure Turbos today who said that their Stage1 turbo is a very minor upgrade (not worth it) to the OEM N55 EWG stock turbo. He claimed that the PT Stage2 turbo would be a quick-spooling significant power upgrade.

The interesting thing was that he claimed that the other mods that I keep reading that are necessary for PT Stage2 are not necessary if my intention is to only run 93 octane pump gas. (Not talking about mods I already have like CP, FMIC, DP, BootMod3 Stage2)

The PT Stage2 required mods that I keep reading about are things like DV+, PT larger turbo input pipe, N20 MAP sensor, higher pressure fuel pump(s), etc. (Of course, I would upgrade to an appropriate BootMod3 tune for the PT Stage2 turbo.)

Has anyone upgraded their N55 EWG to a Pure Turbos Stage2 AND you are only running 93 octane pump gas? Have you needed to do the additional mods or not?

For a daily driver in stop and go traffic, etc, does the Pure Turbos Stage2 turbo add any perceptible turbo lag from standing starts, etc?

Thanks for any input!
It is true the additional things you listed a not required to run the stage 2 turbo. The upgraded diverter valve and inlet are good ideas to do while the turbo is being installed. They are relatively inexpensive and will provide better performance. There is also a decent amount of labor to access these parts if you decided to change them at a later date.

Without additional fueling mods you are going to be limited with how far you can push the turbo. The N20 TMAP is only needed if you are going high boost which you wouldnt be able to do with fueling mods.
2014 F30 335i xDrive 6MT - Pure Stage 2 GFB DV / Inlet | XDI-35 HPFP | Fuel-It PI w/ AIC and LPFP Upgrade | BM3 | Fabspeed Catted DP | Dinan axle back | VRSF Race FMIC/CP | Dinan CAI | KW V3 | Wiechers CF strut bar | Dinan ARB | Spec stage 2+ clutch SMFW | Full M Performance Interior | M Performance BBK | Vorsteiner VFF107 MPS4S | Jordan Tuned Full E85 - 558WHP/520TQ on Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      07-31-2019, 04:32 AM   #3
my335i403
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I’m planing on doing ps2 ... subscribing
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

What cjlane said. You can definitely run PS2 without additional mods and even run the bm3 OTS map for upgraded turbo, but it depends on what your power targets are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlane View Post
It is true the additional things you listed a not required to run the stage 2 turbo. The upgraded diverter valve and inlet are good ideas to do while the turbo is being installed. They are relatively inexpensive and will provide better performance. There is also a decent amount of labor to access these parts if you decided to change them at a later date.

Without additional fueling mods you are going to be limited with how far you can push the turbo. The N20 TMAP is only needed if you are going high boost which you wouldnt be able to do with fueling mods.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      07-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Its not mandatory to buy the additional parts but worth it if you want more power.

The stage 2 has a quick spool, i dont think you will notice a lag

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      07-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport 14'

I'm running Pure stg2, and as said above, I just upgraded the dv+ because its easier to do while upgrading.

I'm not running any fueling mods, just 93oct. I'll hit the dyno soon, after my tune revision.

And by the way, I'm getting more MPG in normal driving conditions compared to the oem turbo lol
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      07-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjt View Post
I'm running Pure stg2, and as said above, I just upgraded the dv+ because its easier to do while upgrading.

I'm not running any fueling mods, just 93oct. I'll hit the dyno soon, after my tune revision.

And by the way, I'm getting more MPG in normal driving conditions compared to the oem turbo lol
How is the turbo lag from a standing start and in stop & go traffic? More lag or the same as stock?

I've read that the DV+ reduces lag in some situations so if you changed both turbo and DV at the same time it could be tough to figure out a change- or they could even appear to cancel each other out.

UPDATE TO MY OLD POST:
The feel of turbo lag is real when upgrading to a Pure Stage2 turbo because the torque curve is about 1,000 RPMs higher than the stock turbo. That's the delay that guys feel. The TTE460 is the only turbo upgrade that I've heard of that adds more power while keeping the low end torque of the stock turbo.

With E85 now available to me locally in NJ my goal of using the stock N55 EWG turbo with 93 octane has changed to using the stock turbo with ethanol fuel. That entailed the addition of a Dorch Stage2 HPFP, a Precision Raceworks Stage2.5v2 LPFP, XHP transmission tune, ethanol sensor and Bootmod3 FlexFuel MultiMap tune.

E85 provides monster performance but I believe that the real sweetspot is to run E50 on the N55 EWG turbo. It only requires a Dorch1 instead of Dorch2. And no LPFP upgrade is required <E60. It's difficult to run higher ethanol in colder climates because it's difficult to start the car in the 40's and below (Fahrenheit)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep

There might be some lag added but almost unnoticeable really, nothing to worry about. The DV will help you maintain boost while WOT and shifting. The DV benefits don't come into play in an stop & go scenario.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      07-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

I agree with Jared, depending on your power goals that will determine if you need the extra parts listed above.

I have an upgraded GFB DV+ and Vader Solutions inlet sitting in on my garage shelf if anyone is going PS2 and would like to buy them off me though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

I've been running PS2 with stock fueling since February of this year and only use 93 octane. I was running a custom map through MHD but have recently switched to the OTS map for PS2. I just enjoy the way the OTS map feels compared to the custom tune. I was having issues running into rail pressure drops with the OTS maps but after a few updates in the last few months it has improved. There is a slight lag compared to the stock turbo but not terribly noticeable. As someone else mentioned, my fuel economy has increased as well which is odd but i really cant complain.

Im waiting for another company to develop a HPFP option to compete with XDI because the cost is insane. I don't want to go port injection or meth or E85 but the idea of lowering my IAT's does have me intrigued so who knows lol!!
      07-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
I've been running PS2 with stock fueling since February of this year and only use 93 octane. I was running a custom map through MHD but have recently switched to the OTS map for PS2. I just enjoy the way the OTS map feels compared to the custom tune. I was having issues running into rail pressure drops with the OTS maps but after a few updates in the last few months it has improved. There is a slight lag compared to the stock turbo but not terribly noticeable. As someone else mentioned, my fuel economy has increased as well which is odd but i really cant complain.

Im waiting for another company to develop a HPFP option to compete with XDI because the cost is insane. I don't want to go port injection or meth or E85 but the idea of lowering my IAT's does have me intrigued so who knows lol!!
Same here, i might go with snow performance 2.5 and bms stealth tank.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 10:24 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralF30 View Post
I agree with Jared, depending on your power goals that will determine if you need the extra parts listed above.

I have an upgraded GFB DV+ and Vader Solutions inlet sitting in on my garage shelf if anyone is going PS2 and would like to buy them off me though.
Thanks for your response. I purposely didn't talk in terms of power goals because responses almost immediately go to fueling changes.

My goal is to use 93 octane pump gas on my N55 EWG. So if the stock turbo is upgraded to a Pure Turbos Stage2, then which other upgrades will maximize power with 93 octane and which upgrades are really for maximizing power with other fueling options? Also, which upgrades would you prioritize since they would have the biggest impact on power with 93 octane?
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      07-31-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post

Thanks for your response. I wonder how your experience with that setup running an MHD tune would compare to BootMod3 which is the tune that I am running?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I wonder how your experience with that setup running an MHD tune would compare to BootMod3 which is the tune that I am running?
I'd be happy to test it out if someone donates a BM3 license

08-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #15
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks for your response. I purposely didn't talk in terms of power goals because responses almost immediately go to fueling changes.

My goal is to use 93 octane pump gas on my N55 EWG. So if the stock turbo is upgraded to a Pure Turbos Stage2, then which other upgrades will maximize power with 93 octane and which upgrades are really for maximizing power with other fueling options? Also, which upgrades would you prioritize since they would have the biggest impact on power with 93 octane?
My personal opinion, I would definitely get the DV+ and the Pure inlet if you have the money. Vader Solutions also has a pipe upgrade also if you want to save money.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      08-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
You may or may not know this but with a flash tune and the availability of custom tunes, who'd really want OTS maps anyway. Let's be honest they are good maps but a custom one will always be better.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
You may or may not know this but with a flash tune and the availability of custom tunes, who'd really want OTS maps anyway. Let's be honest they are good maps but a custom one will always be better.
I'm sure a custom tune setup exactly for my engine would be better, but how much better? Noticeably better? All these custom tunes start at $500. I've talked to several people who have said that the custom tune just fined tuned a few things, nothing dramatic, so I'm skeptical if I can really justify $500 over what I already paid for BootMod3 and their OTS tunes.
My goal is a really smooth daily driver running on 93 octane pump gas with as little turbo lag as possible. I'm not tracking the car.
Any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Honestly, if you're looking for a really smooth daily driver and worried about $500, I would stop and be happy where you're at (CP/FMIC/DP/BM3 Stage 2). The next step (i.e. PS2, HPFP, etc) starts becoming a significant money and time investment to see noticeable gains on the road. Just my 2 cents.

This is exactly where I'm at with my 435i and I'm happy in terms of power and feel. Next steps for me will be getting the M Performance LSD installed (still sitting in the garage from the big sale) and thinking about suspension upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Honestly, if you're looking for a really smooth daily driver and worried about $500, I would stop and be happy where you're at (CP/FMIC/DP/BM3 Stage 2). The next step (i.e. PS2, HPFP, etc) starts becoming a significant money and time investment to see noticeable gains on the road. Just my 2 cents.

This is exactly where I'm at with my 435i and I'm happy in terms of power and feel. Next steps for me will be getting the M Performance LSD installed (still sitting in the garage from the big sale) and thinking about suspension upgrades.
Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to evaluate parts/labor/gains for a Pure Stage2 running 93 octane, and which other mods would help for 93 octane like maybe DV+ and Pure turbo inlet pipe. And maybe other mods like fuel pump(s) are only necessary for methanol or other fueling upgrades which I wouldn't do.

I'm doing LSD also. Have gotten installation labor prices from $300-$700. BMW M Performance brochure quotes 2.5 hours which is what it should take if someone has done it before. Dealers are trying to charge more hours despite the actual product saying 2.5 hours. Watch out for someone installing one for the very first time and charging you for their first time learning curve.

Parts Needed: LSD, two special clips for the ends of the half shafts that plug into each side. Cost a couple dollars from dealer. Buy a quart of special diff fluid from dealer for $35. (See photo for exact fluid) You'll need it to change fluid at 1,200 miles anyway. LSD comes filled with fluid but last installation step is to check fluid level and top off if necessary.

Tools Needed: If someone doesn't have these special tools don't let them bugger up your LSD trying to rig something. One tool is used to pop the half shafts off from each side. The other tool is used to get the large nut off the drive shaft. Both of these are tight spaces and really difficult to do without the special German tools.

The LSD does not have a drain hole so fluid must be suctioned out of the fill hole when it's changed at 1,200 miles. Doesn't need replacement again until 30k miles.

The LSD has a special red loctite on the threads that connect the drive shaft. Once the driveshaft is reinstalled there is a five minute working time to tighten it up. Then the car has to sit for a minimum of two hours for the loctite to setup. It must not be driven for at least two hours!

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #20
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:

I'm doing LSD also. Have gotten installation labor prices from $300-$700. BMW M Performance brochure quotes 2.5 hours which is what it should take if someone has done it before. Dealers are trying to charge more hours despite the actual product saying 2.5 hours.
OK, we are way off original topic . . . I too have the LSD and the dealer install time is not 2.5 hours.

It is actually 25 FRUs. (Flat Rate Units)
25 FRUs is equal to at least 3 hours of labor. (The ratio of FRU/Labor Hour has changed as BMW has fiddled with how many FRUs there are in a "labor hour," essentially adjusting it's reimbursement rate to the dealers in BMW's favor.)
The other factor is that these are warranty times and NOT what the dealers charge customers. Dealers will usually mark up that labor time for customer pay applications because BMW's reimbursement often does not cover the amount of time actually spent on the vehicle.
My Service Advisor friend had to move some numbers around for me to get out the door at $530.
This is the SF Bay Area so everything is more expensive, but it's important to know that the "2.5" referred to in the part document is not meant to imply 2.5 hours of labor to the consumer.

Last edited by ChrisFulton; 08-02-2019 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
OK, we are way off original topic . . . I too have the LSD and the dealer install time is not 2.5 hours.

It is actually 25 FRUs. (Flat Rate Units)
25 FRUs is equal to at least 3 hours of labor. (The ratio of FRU/Labor Hour has changed as BMW has fiddled with how many FRUs there are in a "labor hour," essentially adjusting it's reimbursement rate to the dealers in BMW's favor.)
The other factor is that these are warranty times and NOT what the dealers charge customers. Dealers will usually mark up that labor time for customer pay applications because BMW's reimbursement often does not cover the amount of time actually spent on the vehicle.
My Service Advisor friend had to move some numbers around for me to get out the door at $530.
This is the SF Bay Area so everything is more expensive, but it's important to know that the "2.5" referred to in the part document is not meant to imply 2.5 hours of labor to the consumer.
I understand what you are saying. The document that I read actually says "2.5 hours". Please see attached. One of the local dealers that I checked with in the Philly area quoted me 3.5 hours at $160/hr, so $560. One of the independent BMW shops that I checked with quoted $300-$350. Another dealer quoted $700.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #22
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. The document that I read actually says "2.5 hours". Please see attached. One of the local dealers that I checked with in the Philly area quoted me 3.5 hours at $160/hr, so $560. One of the independent BMW shops that I checked with quoted $300-$350. Another dealer quoted $700.
Yes.
It's from the 2014 release document and you will also see on page 7: "25 FRUs - Approximately 2.5 hours." (This is what they pay the dealer for warranty work which is NOT what you will pay.)
Your Philly quote is right in line. $700 quote is just milking it but not out of line for just asking a dealer to install a LSD.
I would be wary of $300-350. Competent indy shop here in Bay Area quoted $500.
Anyway, really good info in your post about the LSD. It definitely changes the car for the better & I hope you are happy with yours.
Sorry all for hijacking this thread . . .
Appreciate 0