E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni FSD's

03-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Exclamation Koni FSD's

I wanted to share what is posted on Koni's website:http://www.koni-na.com/display.cfm?m...ubmit=Continue
It says that FSD's are for non lowered suspension's including ZSP.

So if your getting new Koni shocks for your E90 zsp or lowered car, go with the sport yellows.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Danny,
How are they riding compared to your stock zsp? Does it ride smoother over bumps? Im thinking about jumping on a set, but Id like a little more input from people with personal experience, like yourself...

COOOOOLD BLOODED!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
JMeezee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SG 335i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
So people should choose the Yellows if they're lowering the car beyond ZSP height, correct? Does that leave any reason for e90 owners to even consider the FSDs over the stock sport shocks? Just curious.

EDIT: CRUD THIS THREAD IS OLD....NVM...

2007 SG E90 335i: OEM Spoiler / Hartge Replica lip / M-Tech Sides and Rear / ACS Replica roof spoiler / Blacklines / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / Koni Yellows / 19" Miro M6 Reps / Modded CDV / 35-20 Tint / LUX 3.0 / MTEC Fogs / Stealth Turn Signals / OEM Leather Short Shift knob / NO TUNE YET so I drive slow

Last edited by JMeezee; 04-11-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
ShinBalNom
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

But why would Eibach sell their lowering springs with FSD's then? False, advertisement... i want my money back.. =(

Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly...

BBS CK 19" / Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni FSD / Blacklines / M-tech
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeezee View Post
So people should choose the Yellows if they're lowering the car beyond ZSP height, correct? Does that leave any reason for e90 owners to even consider the FSDs over the stock sport shocks? Just curious.

EDIT: CRUD THIS THREAD IS OLD....NVM...
Yea, its a year old...I wanted his input after a years use of on these dampers...

COOOOOLD BLOODED!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinBalNom View Post
But why would Eibach sell their lowering springs with FSD's then? False, advertisement... i want my money back.. =(
NO, read this

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55574
      04-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
JMeezee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SG 335i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huchung View Post
Yea, its a year old...I wanted his input after a years use of on these dampers...
Gotcha - but I believe he's been rolling on the Yellows (not FSDs), so he may not have first-hand experience with the FSDs.

2007 SG E90 335i: OEM Spoiler / Hartge Replica lip / M-Tech Sides and Rear / ACS Replica roof spoiler / Blacklines / Eibach Pro-Kit Springs / Koni Yellows / 19" Miro M6 Reps / Modded CDV / 35-20 Tint / LUX 3.0 / MTEC Fogs / Stealth Turn Signals / OEM Leather Short Shift knob / NO TUNE YET so I drive slow
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Should've made it more clear, but Im asking about the Yellows.... Fraggy said in the other post that the FSD doesnt work too well with H&R sports springs...

COOOOOLD BLOODED!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Does anybody know for sure are the FSDs that come with the Eibach springs different from the ones that are sold separately?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
Does anybody know for sure are the FSDs that come with the Eibach springs different from the one that sold separately?
Yes postive, they're the same thing, with same dampening (just look at the website, description applies to both with Eibach lowering recommendation) Can't speak for H&R though

http://www.koni-na.com/fsd.cfm?
      04-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Isn’t that strange? First they say:
FSD kit must be used with stock height suspension.
After that they sell them with lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Danny,
How are they riding compared to your stock zsp? Does it ride smoother over bumps? Im thinking about jumping on a set, but Id like a little more input from people with personal experience, like yourself...
Sorry for the late response! The ride a year later is the same as it was from the beginning. I love the ride! I have them set one turn from full soft. They are slightly harsher than the ZSP setup during speed bumps and the like. But when the springs compress, i.e., hard cornering, the ride is much stiffer. We have a 2 month old and my wife rides back there and she does say it gets kinda rough back there sometimes.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #13
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
Isn’t that strange? First they say:
FSD kit must be used with stock height suspension.
After that they sell them with lowering springs.
The Eibach + FSD kits are suppose to have shorter bumps stops and the valving is not the same as the std FSD.

If they are lower more than the Eibach springs and are even slightly riding on your bump stops the sytem will go full soft and behave very badly.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The Eibach + FSD kits are suppose to have shorter bumps stops and the valving is not the same as the std FSD.

If they are lower more than the Eibach springs and are even slightly riding on your bump stops the sytem will go full soft and behave very badly.

Orb

Do you have the documentation or proof on that? I would like to check it out, since I have the FSD w/Eibach springsbut think DTM got them seperate instead of the pre-packaged kit
      04-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
huchung
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
Sorry for the late response! The ride a year later is the same as it was from the beginning. I love the ride! I have them set one turn from full soft. They are slightly harsher than the ZSP setup during speed bumps and the like. But when the springs compress, i.e., hard cornering, the ride is much stiffer. We have a 2 month old and my wife rides back there and she does say it gets kinda rough back there sometimes.

Danny
Thanks for the update Danny. Have you by any chance tried setting the dampers to full to see how much smoother the bumps are? At your current setting, I believe you're at the 50% mark. Also, do you have to take off the shocks/springs to adjust the dampening? Thx

COOOOOLD BLOODED!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine View Post
Do you have the documentation or proof on that? I would like to check it out, since I have the FSD w/Eibach springsbut think DTM got them seperate instead of the pre-packaged kit
They have a part number on the shocks so what more would want as they are not the same.

As menetioned in another post I spoke with Koni in Europe about these questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #17
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the update Danny. Have you by any chance tried setting the dampers to full to see how much smoother the bumps are? At your current setting, I believe you're at the 50% mark. Also, do you have to take off the shocks/springs to adjust the dampening? Thx
One turn from full soft isn't close to halfway, but I'm happy with the settings. I don't mind the occainsional harshness, and I think I have a good mix of retaining my kidneys (I've had them on full stiff on my previous car) and enhancing the sporty nature of the E90.

To adjust, the fronts are traditional in that you can access them from the top with the included knob. The rears however are only internally adjustable, i.e., have to be removed from the car to adjust.

Danny

Last edited by HRC; 04-12-2007 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: harhness to harshness
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
They have a part number on the shocks so what more would want as they are not the same.

As menetioned in another post I spoke with Koni in Europe about these questions.
There's conflicting information on this as I just got a replied from Koni, along with confirmation from Gary on E46fanatics earlier (when they spoke with Koni in person on their testing day during ZSP vs FSD vs Yellow) Here's the reply from Stoney Hamilton at Koni..

"The FSD shocks that we put in our FSD/Eibach kits are the same shocks.
We just did testing and found the Eibach Pro Kit to be a match with the
FSD and therefore created a kit so that the vehicles can be lowered
using FSD"

and here's my inquiry:

"Hi, This question in regards to Koni FSD and Eibach springs. I know
you guys have a package that comes with FSD and Eibach prokit. Unfortunately,
the shop I went to purchased the shocks and springs seperate and I was later
told the FSD shock will only work on stock height and dampening on the FSD kit
is different? "

So I guess the guessing continues...Koni Europe said one thing and Koni USA another. We won't know for sure until we have the two shocks side by side and compare
      04-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
ShinBalNom
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

So I shouldn't sell my FSDs for pennies just yet... =)

Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly...

BBS CK 19" / Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni FSD / Blacklines / M-tech
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #20
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
My boxed kit didn't have new bumpstops and the part #'s on the shock bodies were the same as what koni-na have listed.

I'm pretty sure they get away with it because the lowering is so mellow. My front end doesn't look nearly as low as the pics (and the ones I had on my e46) of H&R sport. I've still got a good 2-1/2, three if they're small, finger gap up front.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #21
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
This what they say from Koni on the subject:

Yes the same shocks are in the 2100 kits and the 2150 lowering kits. The
note about using them with stock height is because when we originally
released them that was the information that we had. Also Eibach is the
only spring that we have approved for use in conjunction with the FSD.

Stoney Hamilton
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #22
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for looking into this. I originally called Koni NA but once they knew I was inquiring about the 335i they got hostile and they wouldn’t answer that question so I called Koni Europe and they told me the dampeners are specifically tuned and need short bump stops ect. He went on explaining in detail how the bump stops are the problem with the FSD valving so I am bit surprised if he is wrong but I rather have the facts.

Like you said if the part numbers on the shock are the same then it is fact and not hear say.

If the shocks are indeed the same then Koni is saying that the dampeners can work on NON sport spring to the Eibach spring which is about 35%-40% stiffer. The fact the system still uses a shim system with a special pressure chamber still means that more dampening is needed so stiffer shims are required. There will be an off set in the slew rate for sure with stiffer springs (parallel valve cross over point). It might explain why people get mixed results with the system as it might not be optimized. From a mechanical point of view it the system does look to be very sensitive to mass and spring rate and not easy to tune.

Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine View Post
There's conflicting information on this as I just got a replied from Koni, along with confirmation from Gary on E46fanatics earlier (when they spoke with Koni in person on their testing day during ZSP vs FSD vs Yellow) Here's the reply from Stoney Hamilton at Koni..

"The FSD shocks that we put in our FSD/Eibach kits are the same shocks.
We just did testing and found the Eibach Pro Kit to be a match with the
FSD and therefore created a kit so that the vehicles can be lowered
using FSD"

and here's my inquiry:

"Hi, This question in regards to Koni FSD and Eibach springs. I know
you guys have a package that comes with FSD and Eibach prokit. Unfortunately,
the shop I went to purchased the shocks and springs seperate and I was later
told the FSD shock will only work on stock height and dampening on the FSD kit
is different? "

So I guess the guessing continues...Koni Europe said one thing and Koni USA another. We won't know for sure until we have the two shocks side by side and compare
Appreciate 0