E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering Lock, researched, couldnt find fix

07-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
ENIN3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i m sport

Steering Lock, researched, couldnt find fix

Good evening all, I need some help. I replaced my steering column on my 2011 335i and my steering wheel doesn't seem to unlock. I've searched for a few days now, and none of the symptoms seems to be what I have. I swapped the steering column originally because dropping the subframe bent my original one. I got an OEM one from a seller and installed. now I cant get the steering wheel to unlock. I saw the thread about taking the lock out and having it coded to a non locking one, but I don't have the steering wheel icon. everything seems normal when start up, but my steering wheel doesn't unlock. the only errors I have are my adaptive headlights and that's it. one symptom I do have that was mentioned, was a dead battery, this is an aftermarket battery purchased from autozone. I will have it registered and coded once I can get this steering wheel unlocked. any help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I thought they had dropped the steering wheel lock totally
in cars after around 07 because they had so much trouble
with the cheap ass plastic actuated lock in the 06.
You didn't replace the column piece with one from an older car
did you?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I'm not sure they eliminated it - they did change it though. we replaced the column in our E91, it came with a redesigned lock. The one in my 330i has been fine though.

Are you sure something isn't binding or not connected properly?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
ENIN3D
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I thought they had dropped the steering wheel lock totally
in cars after around 07 because they had so much trouble
with the cheap ass plastic actuated lock in the 06.
You didn't replace the column piece with one from an older car
did you?

That could be possible, I was thinking I’d switch out the box from my old one to the new column, same harness. I thought about that last night. Thanks for the help bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
ENIN3D
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I'm not sure they eliminated it - they did change it though. we replaced the column in our E91, it came with a redesigned lock. The one in my 330i has been fine though.

Are you sure something isn't binding or not connected properly?

It’s definitely connected properly, the only thing that’s off is the plastic pieces and the Bluetooth, speaker, etc attached to the tray. It’s not binding , it’s totally locked. I sprayed some wd40 on the u joints Incase it was binding
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
ENIN3D
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just thought about it, i can look up the part number and see what model the column is from, would that narrow down my problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIN3D View Post
I just thought about it, i can look up the part number and see what model the column is from, would that narrow down my problem?
It certainly wouldn't hurt. Worth cross-checking it for sure.
      07-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I thought they had dropped the steering wheel lock totally in cars after around 07...You didn't replace the column piece with one from an older car did you?
[It would be helpful if OP would indicate the BMW Part#s from original Column & Replacement Column -- we'll probably never know.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
According to Bentley, 003-16, p.25 of pdf:
ELV (electric steering lock) warning
shown in instrument cluster
(up to 9/2006 with manual transmission)
(up to 12/2006 with automatic
transmission)
I would take that to mean that NO 2007 model with MT has the ELV, and NO 2007 model made after 12/1/2006 has ELV. My 328xit built 3/14/2007 does NOT have ELV (AFAIK ;-)

Questions for those WITH ELV:
1) Is there a routine (when Lock working correctly) warning on the Instrument Cluster (padlock & steering wheel icon) under certain conditions (I've never seen such a warning on my 3/14/2007 build date 328xit)?

2) WHEN (e.g. upon removal of Remote Key from Insert Compartment, etc.) does the wheel lock (mine NEVER locks)?

3) What is the effect upon the steering wheel when locked -- does it turn X degrees & then lock -- is it immediately locked wherever it is positioned?

4) In other words, HOW can one determine whether his vehicle HAS ELV (Steering Wheel Lock)?

5) What's the build date (MMYYYY) & Tranny in that E91 with "redesigned lock"?

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #9
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Well, one thing is for sure - ELV is the only thing in 20 years of driving BMWs that has ever left me absolutely stranded.

Luckily, it happened in Canada (70 cents on the dollar, lol), and the dealer tech wasn't an asshole - and they happened to have a new column in stock. And we knew people who were able to take my family home while I waited for them to fix it.

Which was so bad, they couldn't even boot the car to reset the ELV counter, or read error codes. I have no idea to this day how they got the car off the tow truck into the service bay. Good thing it was a manual and not a fucking automatic...

Last edited by hassmaschine; 07-27-2019 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #10
ENIN3D
Enlisted Member
Rep

well I kind of figured out what the issue could be. I opened up the steering lock box under the steering column and NOTHING was in there. im assuming either the last owner took out the lock and coded the non locking steering, or the actually stopped the lock. ill know for sure once I pull the new steering column and pull the lock out of that one and try it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #11
wreckman
Rep
Drives: 325i E93 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
According to Bentley, 003-16, p.25 of pdf:
ELV (electric steering lock) warning
shown in instrument cluster
(up to 9/2006 with manual transmission)
(up to 12/2006 with automatic
transmission)
I would take that to mean that NO 2007 model with MT has the ELV, and NO 2007 model made after 12/1/2006 has ELV. My 328xit built 3/14/2007 does NOT have ELV (AFAIK ;-)
Just FYI, if someone finds this thread. They re-inserted the ELV on later models, and it keeps breaking just like on the former models (mine just broke).

But now, there is no steering wheel lock icon on the dash, instead you just get the dreaded "car on lift" icon, and the car bricks itself (the dealer wanted $2000 just to replace the steering column, it's a big big shame that BMW doesn't take their responsibility for this idiotic PoS plastic lock that seems to have bugged people for 10+ years now).
Appreciate 0