BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2019, 03:43 AM   #1
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

UK People

A few threads about software versions but none really in the UK. In particular, whether the Driver Assistance Professional is more advanced? I have not seen anyone in the UK with the lane change functionality (looking at other threads showing a different driver assistance option) - I should have all this but it seems not the right software (yes it was a December 2018 build).

Also, I do not believe anyone has heard any exhaust theatrics with the 40i even with the M Sport exhaust. Agreed?

Thanks team.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Good shout on this forum, I would also be interested in UK customer thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

I’ve seen a YouTube video filmed in Europe where an X5 is driven for an extended time hands free at slower speeds. I wonder if this is the same in the UK version. Drive Assist Pro is an expensive option and other than adaptive cruise I wonder what the added value is?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I’ve seen a YouTube video filmed in Europe where an X5 is driven for an extended time hands free at slower speeds. I wonder if this is the same in the UK version. Drive Assist Pro is an expensive option and other than adaptive cruise I wonder what the added value is?
UK owners don't get lane 'change assist' or Drive Assist Plus (extended hands free).

Lane change assist was in the brochure for the UK X5 when I purchased mine, but has since been removed.

I contacted BMW UK and got this response

"Your BMW X5 has Driving Assist Professional which includes Lane Change Assistant and we can’t see why this shouldn’t be working. I’d suggest contacting your local BMW Centre to look into this for you – I’m afraid we don’t have dates when Driving Assistant Plus will be available in Europe."

Dealer hasn't been any help to date, I think because lane change is coded out specifically for our market. It's odd as the 5 series has it.

WRT lane change assistant, it 'might' be possible to code it using options similar to these. It would be MGU rather than NBT for starters on the G05 of course:

C:\Data\CAF\CAFD_00001C7A_002_240_003.ncd
SAS10
C_SWA_Vorhanden -> True

C:\Data\CAF\CAFD_00001EF6_006_028_018.ncd
HU_NBT_EVO
Spurwechselassistent -> Aktiv

Last edited by archivedaccount; 07-25-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

I have all the relevant options on my 40i. At speeds < 10 mph, I can remove my hands from the steering wheel for extended periods, and the Driving Assistant Pro takes care of steering, speed and braking. Once a traffic jam starts to clear and speed increases above 10 mph, I'm reminded to put hands on the wheel.

My car is April build, but with 2018 iDrive software still.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW lifer View Post
I have all the relevant options on my 40i. At speeds < 10 mph, I can remove my hands from the steering wheel for extended periods, and the Driving Assistant Pro takes care of steering, speed and braking. Once a traffic jam starts to clear and speed increases above 10 mph, I'm reminded to put hands on the wheel.

My car is April build, but with 2018 iDrive software still.
Drive Assistant Plus is a 3rd DAP mode that allows unlimited hands free driving up to 40 mph.

Are you saying you have automatic lane change assist i.e. you can change lanes without moving the steering wheel?
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
c_hri_s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

I've noticed that too. When in a stop-start traffic jam I'm not asked to put my hands on the wheel at low speeds ... even for extended periods.

When it's stopped it won't set off unless I'm looking forwards, though. It beeps - I look - then it starts off.

Anything above about 10mph and it's bugging me to put my hands back on the wheel.

No lane change here either.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Very interesting responses. I find it amazing considering the value of the car and options just how little tangible info BMW put out on these assistance features. It’s almost as if they feel if they don’t say much they can’t be wrong
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Drive Assistant Plus is a 3rd DAP mode that allows unlimited hands free driving up to 40 mph.

Are you saying you have automatic lane change assist i.e. you can change lanes without moving the steering wheel?
No auto lane change, but as I described above
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I plan to take my car in for some warranty issues inc CarPlay to be sorted. I plan to make an issue about the lack of accurate information about the functionality we get in UK (esp as it differs from published brochures)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:37 AM   #11
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am pretty sure we all have the same system but are describing it slightly differently. I can take hands off for about 15 seconds below 37mph and maybe 5-10 seconds at other speeds. No lane change. There are videos on here of the US system that shows more options and illustrates the lane change. So I am 99% sure none of us have it and look forward to hearing from BMW lifer and others who question it in person soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

To be clear, I can leave my hands off the steering wheel *forever* if I stay below 10 mph
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #13
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

I'm from the UK. When I was test driving a 30d M Sport equipped with Driver Assistance Professional it seemed to keep in lane, though i did not try changing lanes with it.

I have a M50i on order now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Very jealous of the 50i - would seem to hit all the marks, but tough to justify breaking the 40i early!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

OK looks like I might have cracked Automatic Lane Change in the UK via coding.

It's been a PITA to track down the settings and big thanks to jokinawa for the assistance from a working US spec G07.

I suspect i have enabled more settings than required so need to trim those down to just the necessary ones and do some robust testing.

As it stands Automatic Lane Change is now available as a menu option and is ticked. I've also coded a change so that it will work on any road, and not just highways/motorways.

If all goes well I'll post the codes tomorrow. They are not the same as have previously been posted for other models.

Next mission will be the extended hands free TJA/DAP - I spotted a few likely candidates while reviewing the lane change codes. Also spotted a 'detect traffic lights' option which sounded interesting.....
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      07-31-2019, 05:31 PM   #16
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

Quote:

It's been a PITA to track down the settings and big thanks to jokinawa for the assistance from a working US spec G07.

I suspect i have enabled more settings than required so need to trim those down to just the necessary ones and do some robust testing.

As it stands Automatic Lane Change is now available as a menu option and is ticked. I've also coded a change so that it will work on any road, and not just highways/motorways.

If all goes well I'll post the codes tomorrow. They are not the same as have previously been posted for other models.

Next mission will be the extended hands free TJA/DAP - I spotted a few likely candidates while reviewing the lane change codes. Also spotted a 'detect traffic lights' option which sounded interesting.....
That is a great find. Waiting for your code tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:03 AM   #17
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

you guys are braver than I am. As much as I would like the additional functionality - if it is illegal or BMW has judged it not ready for UK roads, then I will keep my thumb on the wheel. Won't stop me looking at your videos with envy : )
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #18
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
you guys are braver than I am. As much as I would like the additional functionality - if it is illegal or BMW has judged it not ready for UK roads, then I will keep my thumb on the wheel. Won't stop me looking at your videos with envy : )
Did you see my reply from BMW UK?

It's already in-use on UK roads on a number of BMW models and it works great! It's an extra layer of safety. You still have to keep your hands on the wheel or it wont engage.

I gave it a thorough test this AM and it's a good feature. I won't use it all the time i.e. in really heavy but fast moving traffic, but in other scenarios it works fabulously with the Assisted Driving Mode

The only reason I can think it was restricted is the EU regulations which have caused Tesla to redact a number of features in their recent AutoPilot firmware updates.

Or it's just another BMW bug

Edit: you raised an interesting point on the legality. It's not illegal to use the system. While it can change lane without much user interaction, including without the user checking mirrors, or a quick shoulder check, it doesn't preclude the user from doing so and meeting the highway code:
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/mult...iageways.html#

133 - covers it
137 + 138 seem to be an urban myth to some people

Last edited by archivedaccount; 08-01-2019 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      08-04-2019, 02:55 AM   #19
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

40i must be a great car. It is what I put the order in for but changed it for a M50i. My build slot is now for week 34. Unfortunately I couldn't get to drive a 40i.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #20
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:

Great stuff!!! Looking forward for a code. Interesting times ahead!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:48 AM   #21
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The Auto Lane Change is a great feature. I've posted the settings here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640290

Struggling with TJA - not sure its working. I really need someone with a US G05, confirmed they can use extended TJA, and is willing to provide the cafd for their vehicle so we can compare a non-US version with a US version.

I know 2 settings that are 100% required, and I have made those changes, but it didn't work when I tested. There are some other factor(s) at play.

Also need confirmation that the US G05 FA has 5AR TRAFFIC_JAM_ASSISTANT
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 05:11 AM   #22
artg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i G05

Unlock assisted driving?

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post on this forum.

My i40 does not have assisted driving package (no buttons on the steering wheel), however it has assisted breaking, parking and reversing. Is there an option to enable assisted driving and lane change?

A
Appreciate 0