F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Having a bit of a crisis — could use some advice
Extreme Powerhouse

07-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Having a bit of a crisis — could use some advice

So I was planning on going fbo this summer because my factory warranty just went out until I took my car in for service and they said that I had extended warranty until May.

My options are: I can either forget they told me that and go full send anyway or I could wait until my extended warranty goes out for peace-of-mind's sake

Does anyone have experience with being modded with a warranty? How does it work if I want something covered even if I have aftermarket parts?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedCrewCab View Post
So I was planning on going fbo this summer because my factory warranty just went out until I took my car in for service and they said that I had extended warranty until May.

My options are: I can either forget they told me that and go full send anyway or I could wait until my extended warranty goes out for peace-of-mind's sake

Does anyone have experience with being modded with a warranty? How does it work if I want something covered even if I have aftermarket parts?

Welllllllll.....being its mid July, I'd say fire away

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

I never understood the idea of modding AFTER your warranty expires. The likeliness of something going wrong with the stock car is small and if something should go wrong after you have modded it you might get away using the warranty
      07-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post

Welllllllll.....being its mid July, I'd say fire away

Next may*
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I've been FBO + bm3 stage 2 tune for almost two years. My extended warranty as well as BMW Ultimate Care maintenance package doesn't end until this September. I've had all my routine maintenance done at the dealership, other than an additional oil change between dealership oil change intervals and more frequent spark plug changes. I've also had the oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. I'm cool with the SA so all has been good so far.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I never understood the idea of modding AFTER your warranty expires. The likeliness of something going wrong with the stock car is small and if something should go wrong after you have modded it you might get away using the warranty
Ditto!!!

I bought brand new 2012 Mx5 and dropped 8k in upgrades the first year. Car was a beast!!!!

Last edited by BigJack75; 07-19-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I've been FBO + bm3 stage 2 tune for almost two years. My extended warranty as well as BMW Ultimate Care maintenance package doesn't end until this September. I've had all my routine maintenance done at the dealership, other than an additional oil change between dealership oil change intervals and more frequent spark plug changes. I've also had the oil filter housing gasket and oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. I'm cool with the SA so all has been good so far.
After thinking on your response for a couple days I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. I really appreciate the insight. By the way, are you SPI films on YouTube? I've watched a few of your videos and your car sounds great! If you are, have you had any issues with your clutch/trans with bm3 stage 2? And how many miles do you have on the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
You have the mod bug my friend, pull the trigger!
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

You should do it man, first thing start with the charge pipe.

If you have over 50k miles on the engine, I will also look at OFHG, VCG, and intake valves. You want to make sure the engine is fundamentally healthy before modding; once you treat it good, it will return the favor when you mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
My BMW dealership takes care of my car

Last edited by FastF30; 09-15-2019 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
You should do it man, first thing start with the charge pipe.

If you have over 50k miles on the engine, I will also look at OFHG, VCG, and intake valves. You want to make sure the engine is fundamentally healthy before modding; once you treat it good, it will return the favor when you mod.
I put my vrsf charge pipe on a couple weeks ago so I guess I'm on the right track. I'll probably order a catless dp in the next few days.

Even though I've had the car for a year, I'm still pretty new to the world of modifying and dyi maintenance for bmws. I recently got an oil leak fixed at the dealer (turned out to be VCG) but I'm not sure if they checked any other gaskets while they were at it. Where can I find guides to check on all that you stated and fix them if necessary?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I put my vrsf charge pipe on a couple weeks ago so I guess I'm on the right track. I'll probably order a catless dp in the next few days.

Even though I've had the car for a year, I'm still pretty new to the world of modifying and dyi maintenance for bmws. I recently got an oil leak fixed at the dealer (turned out to be VCG) but I'm not sure if they checked any other gaskets while they were at it. Where can I find guides to check on all that you stated and fix them if necessary?
I also have a VRSF CP and it gives me a peace of mind to run Stage 2 Dinan.

As far as oil filter housing gasket, I think we can see it around the oil filter? I haven't experienced it myself but I am sure there are plenty of picture on Google since it is so common. For intake valves you will have to remove the intake manifold. You can get a general idea by looking up walnut blasting. One way to prevent/significantly reduce carbon build-up is oil catch can. You probably noticed some oil in the CP when you replaced it, those oil are basically where the build-up comes from.

What is the emission rule like in Dallas? The reason why I ask is that my team is in Dallas and I will most likely have to move there when I finish grad school next year
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
What is the emission rule like in Dallas? The reason why I ask is that my team is in Dallas and I will most likely have to move there when I finish grad school next year
I actually blew my charge pipe with a dinan sport tuner and had it replaced under warranty so I never got to see what 45k miles of oil buildup on the stock cp looked like. I put a couple thousand miles on the oem replacement and I could still see some buildup so a catch can is high on my priority list.

As for emissions in dallas, It's not as lax as Florida but definitely not as strict as California. A lot of my friends have catless cars and you can easily pass emissions with a o2 spacer or if you just go to the right shop
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I actually blew my charge pipe with a dinan sport tuner and had it replaced under warranty so I never got to see what 45k miles of oil buildup on the stock cp looked like. I put a couple thousand miles on the oem replacement and I could still see some buildup so a catch can is high on my priority list.

As for emissions in dallas, It's not as lax as Florida but definitely not as strict as California. A lot of my friends have catless cars and you can easily pass emissions with a o2 spacer or if you just go to the right shop
Sounds like you are on the right track on modding

Thank you for the input on the local emission, I will most likely take advantage of that on top of the cheaper gas price
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Just do a JB4 for now and enjoy. After the warranty period add in a back end flash for the best of both worlds!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Just do a JB4 for now and enjoy. After the warranty period add in a back end flash for the best of both worlds!
Can you not relock the dme with bm3 whenever you need to bring it into the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #17
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Can you not relock the dme with bm3 whenever you need to bring it into the dealership?
You can but if your engine blows up it doesnt matter, they will find it. Tip and be nice to your SA, they will most likely pretend they dont see your mods for basic warranty repairs such as OFHG and VCG which are the only 2 things id be worried about on the 335i. If your turbo or rods fail then it will most likely be on you. Turbo will cost around 4-5k with the labor. Engine 8-12k with labor.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
You can flash back to stock but the problem is the dealerships know how to catch you now. When you run a flash map there are modules out there other than the ECU that store the true torque and load values, like the trans computer, ABS computer, and others. So even if you replaced the ECU all together they'd still be able to easily tell with a scan.

You can do a lot of stuff flashing but you just have to understand that once flashed there is really no going back from a detection perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 06:28 AM   #19
cjlane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
You can flash back to stock but the problem is the dealerships know how to catch you now. When you run a flash map there are modules out there other than the ECU that store the true torque and load values, like the trans computer, ABS computer, and others. So even if you replaced the ECU all together they'd still be able to easily tell with a scan.

You can do a lot of stuff flashing but you just have to understand that once flashed there is really no going back from a detection perspective.
Would a dealership not be able to see this same info with a JB4 being used? The ECU would still show the boost levels and performance of the engine at the time of a failure.
2014 F30 335i xDrive 6MT - Pure Stage 2 GFB DV / Inlet | XDI-35 HPFP | Fuel-It PI w/ AIC and LPFP Upgrade | BM3 | Fabspeed Catted DP | Dinan axle back | VRSF Race FMIC/CP | Dinan CAI | KW V3 | Wiechers CF strut bar | Dinan ARB | Spec stage 2+ clutch SMFW | Full M Performance Interior | M Performance BBK | Vorsteiner VFF107 MPS4S | Jordan Tuned Full E85 - 558WHP/520TQ on Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #20
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

My thinking on that subject is to flash back to stock for routine service visits. Assuming nothing seriously wrong, more in depth scans will not likely happen. That way you're not getting your car flagged as tuned and possibly having small unrelated things denied.

Of course, should something major go wrong, own up to the tune. They're going to find it anyway and no reason to damage your relationship with your SA and dealership by lying about the tune.

Just my opinion, I certainly could be wrong.
      07-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #21
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Yes I'm SPI Films on Youtube. Thanks, I love the way the car sounds. I now have my burble setting perfected. I'm not a fan of the loud gunshot or even the pops so I have it set to give a nice grumble on decel. I've had no issues with the clutch/tranny and have almost 73,000 miles on the car.

Quote:
After thinking on your response for a couple days I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. I really appreciate the insight. By the way, are you SPI films on YouTube? I've watched a few of your videos and your car sounds great! If you are, have you had any issues with your clutch/trans with bm3 stage 2? And how many miles do you have on the car?

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #22
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Yes I'm SPI Films on Youtube. Thanks, I love the way the car sounds. I now have my burble setting perfected. I'm not a fan of the loud gunshot or even the pops so I have it set to give a nice grumble on decel. I've had no issues with the clutch/tranny and have almost 73,000 miles on the car.
Would you mind sending me those burble settings? My friend has max aggression for his 435i and it sounds super obnoxious and kind of artificial. I prefer the low grumble like you were saying with maybe a little pop or two sprinkled in there.
Appreciate 0