BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
orthopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport LCi

Disabling "Auto Stop/Start" via Bimmercode

Dear All,

I tried disabling the Auto Stop/Start via Bimmercode, and when I completed the coding, the engine cut out and a warning message showed on the car's screen (not the instrument cluster, the other one), something about taking the car to the workshop etc.

Naturally, I suffered instant diarrhoea and therefore immediately reset the code back to the default.

Question is, does this happen to everyone when you disable it, or is there something wrong I'm doing?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I didn't have any drama with ASS coding with Bimmercode and I don't believe I've heard of anyone else here with any issues. You do have to follow the instructions, specifically: a) car has to be in diagnostic mode (engine NOT running!), and b) disable all other wifi and Bluetooth on phone except the OBD adapter. Worthwhile to read the applicable instructions a couple of times and do things step by step as specified.

https://www.bimmercode.app/support/

While ASS hasn't had any trouble from anyone, some of the other functions seem to have regional or software version dependency — for example, Canadian G05 versions didn't work for a while until Stephan cleaned something up in Bimmercode to fix that. But that exhibited itself by just not allowing coding of specific ECUs until the fix came out, nothing as dramatic as your experience so far.

PS By the way, ASS coding doesn't disable ASS. Rather it allows the car to remember the last ASS setting — not quite the same thing, but in practice almost as good.
      07-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #3
orthopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport LCi

Thanks a lot, looks like I fell at the first hurdle itself!!!! Will try again with the engine off :-D
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

It's normal to get a error after a successful coding. Suggest you read all the instructions on Bimmercode as some ECUs only code when you follow specific steps promoted by the app.

Quote:
After coding the ECU is reset and therefore not reachable for the other ECUs in the car for a short time. This results in errors displayed in the car, but these errors will disappear after turning the ignition off and on again.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Yes, very normal to get an error message. Doesn't stop that feeling of "oh shit, what did I just do?" the first time you see it, though.
Appreciate 1