F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Speaking of logs.....
GetBMWParts

07-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Speaking of logs.....

So I know I know its the same old sh#t and it's hot as hell outside down here lol, but I've been reviewing some logs because of heat and recent wastegate issues and Being that I'm the only person I know with a FBO PWG N20 (if you know someone with one point them my way) its been some trial and error on tune and other things for sure! My car is is 12 so on top of that I'm blessed with bad timing chain fears and oil pressure failures and all the goodies. Right now My plugs are gapped at .26 up from .22 due to trying to solve a recent problem that's fixed now. I know it's hot but I'm getting some knocks and I believe timing has been a bit erratic lately. I can't get E85 and I only run shell 93 which still sucks. any trusted octane additives out there? Here's a 5th gear pull, one from 2nd and another from start mild throttle. wanted some second opinions.

2nd: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d2e5c98ae729b72761209be
5th:http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d2e5ea1ae729b72761209c8
start: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d2281c2c090c63fa5b13c65

I just got my wastegate duty cycle back in it's normal range and she's pulling hard (although the stock turbo can't keep up lol) want to keep the motor healthy. I'll most likely update the timing chain for good measure next summer. Im at 80k miles right now.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

I think given the high IATs, these logs look pretty good. Considering the 110°+ IATs that timing is about as good as I would expect it to be. I would say that those few examples of knock are artifactual, and personally wouldn't worry about them. The only time knock should be of any concern is if you get a ton of them every pull, it throws a super knock code, or if you can feel/hear it as you make the pull.
      07-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
Being that I'm the only person I know with a FBO PWG N20 (if you know someone with one point them my way)
<<< FBO PWG

rjdnyy224 said it...IATs will throw timing. I didn't look at the logs, but with IATs above 100...you can expect to see pulled timing.
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
<<< FBO PWG

rjdnyy224 said it...IATs will throw timing. I didn't look at the logs, but with IATs above 100...you can expect to see pulled timing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
I think given the high IATs, these logs look pretty good. Considering the 110°+ IATs that timing is about as good as I would expect it to be. I would say that those few examples of knock are artifactual, and personally wouldn't worry about them. The only time knock should be of any concern is if you get a ton of them every pull, it throws a super knock code, or if you can feel/hear it as you make the pull.
Alright! Finally someone with a PWG! I'm not alone in this world lol. Yeah I figured Heat is the main culprit but I feel our gas quality has been crap since hurricane michael wrecked us here so I dont always trust it when reviewing logs, Second Opinions help me with peace of mind so I appreciate it. I have a few buddies that test and fine gas stations in my area if they violate FTC & minimum octane requirements and they said they have had to fine more gas stations in the last 9 months (since the storm) then they had in the 2 years prior and had one station shut down for having 87 in all three grade tanks. People are shitty, so its making me trust local gas stations less and less. Of course I dont think any station in the suburbs would have the balls to risk it as I'm assuming they get visited more often and we are pretty well recovered on getting gas in now but who knows. I'll just have to take it easier in this blistering Florida heat. How's your car doing rjdnyy224 I havent actively been on the forum lately so anything new going on with yours? upgrades, issues? Saw some of your track times which are nice, I wish we had one in my area. I'd love to go to some 1/4's and post up.
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright! Finally someone with a PWG! I'm not alone in this world lol. Yeah I figured Heat is the main culprit but I feel our gas quality has been crap since hurricane michael wrecked us here so I dont always trust it when reviewing logs, Second Opinions help me with peace of mind so I appreciate it. I have a few buddies that test and fine gas stations in my area if they violate FTC & minimum octane requirements and they said they have had to fine more gas stations in the last 9 months (since the storm) then they had in the 2 years prior and had one station shut down for having 87 in all three grade tanks. People are shitty, so its making me trust local gas stations less and less. Of course I dont think any station in the suburbs would have the balls to risk it as I'm assuming they get visited more often and we are pretty well recovered on getting gas in now but who knows. I'll just have to take it easier in this blistering Florida heat. How's your car doing rjdnyy224 I havent actively been on the forum lately so anything new going on with yours? upgrades, issues? Saw some of your track times which are nice, I wish we had one in my area. I'd love to go to some 1/4's and post up.
Shitty gas will do it as well. That plus the heat considered, and I think your car is running better than I'd expect it to

Nothing has really changed with my car, but thanks for asking I have an exhaust cutout going in sometime soon, just waiting for the shop to be able to fit me into their schedule. It's a custom exhaust place and they're booked for the next month doing work for Pebble Beach cars, the parts have been sitting in my house for a few days now. That'll be by mod this summer, can't seem to get through a summer without doing something lol. Flashed the PTF 8AT tune as well, so after I get the exhaust cutout in I'm going to see if I can't finally make a 12 second 1/4 mile pass.
      07-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Shitty gas will do it as well. That plus the heat considered, and I think your car is running better than I'd expect it to

Nothing has really changed with my car, but thanks for asking I have an exhaust cutout going in sometime soon, just waiting for the shop to be able to fit me into their schedule. It's a custom exhaust place and they're booked for the next month doing work for Pebble Beach cars, the parts have been sitting in my house for a few days now. That'll be by mod this summer, can't seem to get through a summer without doing something lol. Flashed the PTF 8AT tune as well, so after I get the exhaust cutout in I'm going to see if I can't finally make a 12 second 1/4 mile pass.
Hell yeah, Exhaust work is always exciting. I'm going to try to save for a super sprint resonated midpipe soon but first I think I'm going to do an oil cooler like the Gplus W/ a mishimoto radiator, I want to try to drop some temps. my dash read 96 degrees out yesterday. So whats your fastest time on the 1/4 atm?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hell yeah, Exhaust work is always exciting. I'm going to try to save for a super sprint resonated midpipe soon but first I think I'm going to do an oil cooler like the Gplus W/ a mishimoto radiator, I want to try to drop some temps. my dash read 96 degrees out yesterday. So whats your fastest time on the 1/4 atm?
Yes it is, I'm super excited to see how it'll sound with a dump right after the downpipe Oil cooler is definitely a good investment, and you can't go wrong with Mishimoto. My car has been feeling particularly sluggish lately with the recent heatwave in the northeast.

Best at the 1/4 so far is 13.088 @ 101.79. Just close enough to 12's to keep me coming back and trying.