F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 50k out of warranty: mhd vs Bm3 for n55 pwg
Extreme Powerhouse

07-11-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i M-Sport

50k out of warranty: mhd vs Bm3 for n55 pwg

Hey guys! This is my first forum post so forgive any mistakes I might make. I've read the many pages on here of this topic but haven't seen many recently. Mhd seems to be less problematic with the pwg cars and it's half the cost of Bm3 so I wanted to get some feedback from you guys who have been running the tunes for awhile.

I have 2013 n55 pwg with mpe and upgraded vrsf chargepipe (mine blew up while stock ). I want to run a stage 1 tune for the time being as I'm not sure i want to go to stage 2 since this is my daily and I want to keep it as reliable as possible for the next 2-3 years before I upgrade.

Thanks in advance!!
      07-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
fuhsm1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky_the_f30 View Post
Hey guys! This is my first forum post so forgive any mistakes I might make. I've read the many pages on here of this topic but haven't seen many recently. Mhd seems to be less problematic with the pwg cars and it's half the cost of Bm3 so I wanted to get some feedback from you guys who have been running the tunes for awhile.

I have 2013 n55 pwg with mpe and upgraded vrsf chargepipe (mine blew up while stock ). I want to run a stage 1 tune for the time being as I'm not sure i want to go to stage 2 since this is my daily and I want to keep it as reliable as possible for the next 2-3 years before I upgrade.

Thanks in advance!!
I have similar set up, 2013 335i RWD. So far VRSF chargepipe & VRSF catted downpipe. I went with MHD tune after reading threads for what works better for PWG vs EWG.

Running Stage 2+. Love it, night and day difference. Just have to be smart about how hard I push to keep IAT down until I have larger FMIC.

My biased opinion votes MHD
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

I also have a rwd car and have seen the forums of mhd working better on pwg cars. Did you jump straight to stage 2?
      07-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhsm1 View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!
I have similar set up, 2013 335i RWD. So far VRSF chargepipe & VRSF catted downpipe. I went with MHD tune after reading threads for what works better for PWG vs EWG.

Running Stage 2+. Love it, night and day difference. Just have to be smart about how hard I push to keep IAT down until I have larger FMIC.

Look at Wagner Competition series FMIC when you are ready. Very high flow because of tube & fin design so doesn't add turbo lag like the other FMIC bar and plate designs that are made more for high revving track use than daily driving. I've got a 2015 335 with Wagner Competition EVO1. No heat synch and no added turbo lag. Red light to red light all day long!
Best price and FMIC advice from Mike at X-PH!
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

2013 335i PWG running MHD stage 2+ 👍🏻👍🏻
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #6
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
Quote:

How long have you been running it? Any issues!
      07-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!

Look at Wagner Competition series FMIC when you are ready. Very high flow because of tube & fin design so doesn't add turbo lag like the other FMIC bar and plate designs that are made more for high revving track use than daily driving. I've got a 2015 335 with Wagner Competition EVO1. No heat synch and no added turbo lag. Red light to red light all day long!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for the info I haven't considered them until you mentioned it. I just started looking at fmic's and saw a lot from vrsf of course but also have seen a lot of forum posts about their quality issues recently so I will definitely look into Wagner. What tune are you running?
      07-13-2019, 12:25 AM   #8
mihail.b
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

I'm running MHD 2+ on my 335i PWG with Wagner hiflow catted DP, Wagner evo2 comp IC and upgraded chargepipes.

loving it so far, no issues either.

Everything bolted up nicely with no modifications required.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for the info I haven't considered them until you mentioned it. I just started looking at fmic's and saw a lot from vrsf of course but also have seen a lot of forum posts about their quality issues recently so I will definitely look into Wagner. What tune are you running?
I'm running a BootMod3 Stage2 93 Octane off the shelf tune in my 2015 335ix using Wagner Competition EVO1 FMIC and Fabspeed HJS catted downpipe with M Performance Exhaust. aFe Pro Dry drop-in airfilter in an M Performance intake box and Evolution Raceworks charge pipe both help the airflow as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihail.b View Post
I'm running MHD 2+ on my 335i PWG with Wagner hiflow catted DP, Wagner evo2 comp IC and upgraded chargepipes.

How long have you been running it? Thanks for the info!
      07-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #11
mihail.b
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihail.b View Post

How long have you been running it? Thanks for the info!
Ran Stage 2 for about 2 months before upgrading IC and going stage 2+ few weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #12
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

You will not experience any issues with the OTS maps from MHD. OTS maps for Pure Stage 2 turbo is also in the works should you chose to go that route (which you should ).
      07-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
You will not experience any issues with the OTS maps from MHD. OTS maps for Pure Stage 2 turbo is also in the works should you chose to go that route (which you should ).
That's good to hear! I'm probably going with mhd since it seems to be better for pwg cars. Haha as far as pure turbos I'd love to but I'll probably sell this car and upgrade before getting to that stage.
      07-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I've been running MHD with E25 BEF and sometimes the JB4 BEF on JB4 map 7 for the last year. No issues at all.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Can't go wrong either way for flashing tools but I've always liked how MHD is more open source do you don't need a dedicated internet connection or to load your maps to clouds and stuff like that.

The maps we help setup for our fuel kits for use with the JB4 are designed in MHD but are unlocked and be loaded via either system.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
I've been running MHD with E25 BEF and sometimes the JB4 BEF on JB4 map 7 for the last year. No issues at all.
You cannot compare a MHD BEF and a MHD full flash - two different things.
      07-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #17
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Thanks for the feedback man. That's great to hear no issues for the past year.
      07-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
With the PWG V2 systems running integrated boost control now, where map0 is truly flash only, things have changed a lot for the better since you last ran a JB4 and BEF.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:07 AM   #19
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
With the PWG V2 systems running integrated boost control now, where map0 is truly flash only, things have changed a lot for the better since you last ran a JB4 and BEF.
I assume this is Steven writing...? Back to integrated again...interesting. Sound like a better solution cooperating than bullying I had some scary moments running isolated hence the JB4 retirement.
      07-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #20
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Not comparing just providing info on my setup, informational only.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #21
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

BM3. Been running it for 30k miles now zero issues and you get a transmission flash free which changes the car entirely. You can also move your license to another car free when you switch cars and it flashes much faster.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #22
Becky_the_f30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
BM3. Been running it for 30k miles now zero issues and you get a transmission flash free which changes the car entirely. You can also move your license to another car free when you switch cars and it flashes much faster.
Oh wow that's awesome. What stage are you running? I was tempted by that transmission flash.