E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where to go from here mod wise?

07-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Where to go from here mod wise?

So I have a 2008 335XI E92, and was wondering if I could get some insight on what to do as far as modifications from where I stand currently?

I have:
BMS dual cone cold air intakes
Phoenix Racing charge pipe
Tial Q Blowoff Valve
VRSF 3" catless downpipes
JB4 G5 ISO Tune
Alpina Transmission Flash
Secondary Cat delete from PE modified exhaust

So what my plan from here was to step more into running an E30 or maybe higher mix. I understand the car can take around 2-3 gallon of E85 mixed with 93. However, it cannot do so very consistently. My plan was to go with a VRSF 7" intercooler and then the Fuel-It stage 2 LPFP upgrade. Once both of those are done I was going to do a backend flash using MHD. Is this what most would recommend or am I forgetting anything? I want to get more power from the car as I've just grown used to it in its current state.

Also, I am in NY and have emissions to worry about. However, I do already have the BMS DP fix in. Would flashing with MHD change anything in that regard? Or am I okay with the current setup in addition to these changes?

I also have just learned about the xHP transmission flash, does anybody have any experience with this VS the Alpina that I currently have? It seems to have more customization, but ultimately the same effect.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Intercooler is a must, VRSF 7.5" competition is a really good option (the 7" has been discontinued).

Next step after that is methanol injection or Pure stage 2 turbo

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Intercooler is a must, VRSF 7.5" competition is a really good option (the 7" has been discontinued).

Next step after that is methanol injection or Pure stage 2 turbo
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I was just reading another thread and saw they will not ship out till 8/31?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
wrrush
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

have you thought about upgrading your turbos, the price has come way down on the ones from frankenturbo, which he is having a sale on the fuel pump, outlets, and a vrsf intercooler i think. depending on the miles on your turbo now why not drop $2k on all that and you will feel a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfulmaxhavoc View Post
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I was just reading another thread and saw they will not ship out till 8/31?
Correct they are on back order, other options include Wagner EVO II & Evolution Racewerks.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrush View Post
have you thought about upgrading your turbos, the price has come way down on the ones from frankenturbo, which he is having a sale on the fuel pump, outlets, and a vrsf intercooler i think. depending on the miles on your turbo now why not drop $2k on all that and you will feel a huge difference
I have, but mine have around 35k miles on them so nothing too crazy. Could you provide the link for that though. Sounds like a great deal
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

XHP trans flash and intercooler

You can run more than 2-3 gallons of ethanol with stock fuel pump no problem but you should monitor. If you're considering a fuel pump, may as well do it as well and you'll just be set for any mix up to E60.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Number #1 is back-end flash if you want to stay with JB4 or off-the-shelf MHD tune if not. You probably know that JB4 is not able to adjust fueling or ignition timing, just boost. You are leaving a lot of power on the table if you do not install an actual tune (i.e. back-end flash).

If you do that, as others suggest an intercooler is probably next, unless you don't do WOT pulls through the gears very often.

As for the DP fix, you don't need it and you are better off without it in the long run. NY, like many states, will allow you to pass inspection with one OBDII monitor "not ready". The MHD flasher can disable the cat monitor so it shows as "not ready". Therefore, you can have DPs and still pass, as long as there is no visual inspection (a la California) and you have all other systems working correctly (as you should).

So buy the MHD software, flash your backend and enjoy both much better performance and passing inspection with no hardware devices required.

Edit: forgot about your desire to mix in E85 - a good idea for many reasons. If you keep the levels relatively low (E30), you may not need to bother with a stage II pump, which is a fairly expensive item. Use MHD logging functions to determine if your fuel pumps are healthy enough to keep up. If they do, save your cash. If they don't, I personally can recommend the stage I set up - half the cost and more than enough for stock turbos operating within their design parameters and certainly good enough for E30. If you're going higher with E85 and thinking about bigger turbos, than by all means upgrade the pump further.

Last edited by dpaul; 07-10-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Number #1 is back-end flash if you want to stay with JB4 or off-the-shelf MHD tune if not. You probably know that JB4 is not able to adjust fueling or ignition timing, just boost. You are leaving a lot of power on the table if you do not install an actual tune (i.e. back-end flash).

If you do that, as others suggest an intercooler is probably next, unless you don't do WOT pulls through the gears very often.

As for the DP fix, you don't need it and you are better off without it in the long run. NY, like many states, will allow you to pass inspection with one OBDII monitor "not ready". The MHD flasher can disable the cat monitor so it shows as "not ready". Therefore, you can have DPs and still pass, as long as there is no visual inspection (a la California) and you have all other systems working correctly (as you should).

So buy the MHD software, flash your backend and enjoy both much better performance and passing inspection with no hardware devices required.

Edit: forgot about your desire to mix in E85 - a good idea for many reasons. If you keep the levels relatively low (E30), you may not need to bother with a stage II pump, which is a fairly expensive item. Use MHD logging functions to determine if your fuel pumps are healthy enough to keep up. If they do, save your cash. If they don't, I personally can recommend the stage I set up - half the cost and more than enough for stock turbos operating within their design parameters and certainly good enough for E30. If you're going higher with E85 and thinking about bigger turbos, than by all means upgrade the pump further.

I already have the dp fix in place, so no point in removing it I believe. I think I'll go with the MHD BEF sometime soon. Any recommendation for what to buy/what map with what I have done? I do plan on running higher than E30 so I should be picking up the stage 2 sometime soon after the intercooler.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew641.00
      07-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

There are free backend flashes on N54tech.com designed for different fuels, if that's what you mean. If you mean which JB4 MAP, my answer would be the most aggressive one that doesn't give significant timing pulls. The one good thing about JB4 (from my limited perspective) is the ease with which it lets you customize boost profiles (MAP 7, if I remember correctly). Basically same answer as above; try a map, make some logs and keep going until something doesn't look right.

There is a reason not to leave the DP fix installed - basically that the pre-cat sensors use the output of the post-cat sensors as a calibration standard and the DP fix alters that output to fool the DME about cat efficiency without taking the calibration function into account. Furthermore, it spoofs bank2 sensor output from bank1 so there is no actually reporting from bank 2 at all. I can go on about this if you really care. The DP fix is nothing more complex than a voltage divider so the post-cat voltage is always too low. One presumes the DME can look at the shape of the post-cat voltage response to different conditions and adjust its calibration routines but who knows.

Anyway, pretty much anyone connected with Burger will tell you to remove the thing, and they were doing that well before they got so concerned about the legal issues. But you'd be best off to do your own reading and make your own decision. Just because something has been brought to market doesn't mean it is either safe or effective, particularly something designed to circumvent existing federal law..

Last edited by dpaul; 07-10-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

big Intercooler should be first on your list 7" is a minimum... next is a custom tune, you will feel a huge difference if you have access to e85 even without a stage 2 pump

Quote:
So I have a 2008 335XI E92, and was wondering if I could get some insight on what to do as far as modifications from where I stand currently?

I have:
Tial Q Blowoff Valve
JB4 G5 ISO Tune

So what my plan from here was to step more into running an E30 or maybe higher mix. I understand the car can take around 2-3 gallon of E85 mixed with 93. However, it cannot do so very consistently. My plan was to go with a VRSF 7" intercooler and then the Fuel-It stage 2 LPFP upgrade. Once both of those are done I was going to do a backend flash using MHD. Is this what most would recommend or am I forgetting anything? I want to get more power from the car as I've just grown used to it in its current state.

Also, I am in NY and have emissions to worry about. However, I do already have the BMS DP fix in. Would flashing with MHD change anything in that regard? Or am I okay with the current setup in addition to these changes?

I also have just learned about the xHP transmission flash, does anybody have any experience with this VS the Alpina that I currently have? It seems to have more customization, but ultimately the same effect.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Last suggestion. Make one change at a time, see what happens to engine performance by monitoring logs. See how perfect you can get your match to boost targets by adjusting the parameters in JB4. See if anything breaks. Then add the next piece of hardware and repeat the cycle

Keep in mind that there is a lot of mythology on these boards, to be fair as there is in all walks of life. Example: everyone says that the charge pipe must be replaced - it's made of plastic and it will blow up. To be sure some have but not mine. More than 6 years of running at 20psi, no explosions, no leaks. There are plenty with the same experience. Another is that you must have a larger intercooler. Well, of course, I do have larger one. But it was abundantly clear that if all I was doing was going WOT from one stop light to another, it didn't matter that the IATs were going up quickly - I didn't stay WOT long enough or often enough for it to matter. If you're racing in any form at a track, that's another story. Challenge every assumption until you really understand what those assumption are based on.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Last suggestion. Make one change at a time, see what happens to engine performance by monitoring logs. See how perfect you can get your match to boost targets by adjusting the parameters in JB4. See if anything breaks. Then add the next piece of hardware and repeat the cycle

Keep in mind that there is a lot of mythology on these boards, to be fair as there is in all walks of life. Example: everyone says that the charge pipe must be replaced - it's made of plastic and it will blow up. To be sure some have but not mine. More than 6 years of running at 20psi, no explosions, no leaks. There are plenty with the same experience. Another is that you must have a larger intercooler. Well, of course, I do have larger one. But it was abundantly clear that if all I was doing was going WOT from one stop light to another, it didn't matter that the IATs were going up quickly - I didn't stay WOT long enough or often enough for it to matter. If you're racing in any form at a track, that's another story. Challenge every assumption until you really understand what those assumption are based on.
That's an excellent point, I'm thinking of doing a 93 octane map through MHD first and seeing how that runs. With the DP fix, based on what you said, I will see how it functions once BEF is done and if any issues then I'll disconnect it and leave it there in case I have to get back to a setup that allows for inspection. Fortunately, that's a problem for March.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
Andrew3424
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Quote:

I have:
Tial Q Blowoff Valve
JB4 G5 ISO Tune

Thanks all
Prepare to open ya wallet. Cause once you start digging it's not gonna end
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #15
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew3424 View Post
Thinking of doing these 3 mods (around $1k) and then wheels next summer. Turbos whenever they blow, but they have about 35k on them. At that point it's probably time to start looking at another platform lol. I just have too much love for this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #16
Andrew3424
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Thinking of doing these 3 mods (around $1k) and then wheels next summer. Turbos whenever they blow, but they have about 35k on them. At that point it's probably time to start looking at another platform lol. I just have too much love for this car.
Your off to a good start after the intercooler with the LPFP definitely get a e85 flash as you will get very gains from it. Then next will be clutch and flywheel once it starts slipping 🤦🏼*♂️
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #17
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Your off to a good start after the intercooler with the LPFP definitely get a e85 flash as you will get very gains from it. Then next will be clutch and flywheel once it starts slipping 🤦🏼*♂️
This is an auto
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Turbo Inlets made a huge difference for me.
Custom e40 BEF via MHD stacking with your JB4.
Intercooler maybe.
      07-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #19
lawfulmaxhavoc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
Turbo Inlets made a huge difference for me.
Custom e40 BEF via MHD stacking with your JB4.
Intercooler maybe.
From what I understand the inlets are relatively cheap but are a pain to install. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
From what I understand the inlets are relatively cheap but are a pain to install. Is this true?
Yes. Worse if you're awd.

Definitely only do them if you're doing a custom tune same time. That said a custom tune will be a major jump in power as well.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #21
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
Yes. Worse if you're awd.

Definitely only do them if you're doing a custom tune same time. That said a custom tune will be a major jump in power as well.
this doesnt make sense

unless you are doing an oil pan gasket or dropping the subframe inlets are a pain in the ass, 6-8 hour job by itself so get inlets done when doing other maintenance.

you can get a custom tune without them and its still gonna make a huge difference, i ran 11.9 1/4 mile last year with no inlets, downpipes or upgraded lpfp, only a custom tune at 21.5 psi E40 mix

2007 E92 335i / VRSF 5" FMIC-Charge Pipe-DCI-Inlets/ TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP / E50 Custom Tune by WedgePerformance / APEX ARC8 / MT ET Street / 11.6 @ 118 / Instagram @silent11n54
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #22
LessIsMore
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 535i Sport

IC and BEF.
Appreciate 0