E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328xi front Abs sensor touching axle

07-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Platinum Child
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tiag z4mc

328xi front Abs sensor touching axle

Getting 4x4 and dsc lights and pulled a code for a front right abs sensor, no signal.

Confirmed with inpa that I am getting a signal, however i pulled the sensor and it has touched the axle. There are rub marks. This is the second sensor that I removed with rub marks. The first time I figured it was just something that got caught it there.

Now I'm thinking that the reluctor ring may have swelled due to corrosion. It looks a little bit rusty, but nothing crazy.

I checked for a bad wheel bearing, but there is no play or indication of a bad bearing.

Does anyone know where I can get just a reluctor ring to replace? Everything I see online is for the rear. Are they the same size?

Not looking to replace the axle, I don't trust FEQ axles and oem is pricey.

Thanks!
      07-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Some FWD/AWD vehicles have frequent problems with BROKEN "Tone Rings" or Reluctors (toothed-wheel) that the ABS Sensor "reads." That problem is due to rust forming between the drive axle and tone ring causing the ring to expand until it cracks and then spins loose on the axle.

If your Reluctor is still intact (NOT "free-wheeling") then simplest fix is to simply shim the Sensor you have so that it does NOT contact the Reluctor. I don't think the "Air Gap" between the Sensor & Reluctor is that sensitive that it matters if one side of Reluctor is closer to Sensor than opposite side. There MAY be some slight voltage fluctuation, but since the sensor is sending a Square Wave Signal, that should NOT matter.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0