E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Seat Belt question

08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
q_and_a
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Seat Belt question

This is not your typical, I'd like to take my life in my own hands, how do I turn off the seat belt warning indicator. I actually have a problem. Admittedly, it is probably self or passenger caused, however, I can't seem to fix it. I have an '07 e92. The passenger seat belt seems to have folded in half (length wise) and is stuck. I can't seem to get it to pull out any further (without exerting a lot of force), and I can't seem to get it to retract. Is there anything else I can do? I don't remember seeing any other posts where someone has done anything stupid like this, and I'd hate to take it to the dealer if I can fix it myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Do you have any pictures.

It may help

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
q_and_a
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've actually never posted a picture, but I'll try to figure out how when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E85 M

Should be covered under warranty. Take it to the dealer.
      08-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by q_and_a View Post
I've actually never posted a picture, but I'll try to figure out how when I get home.
Its easy as pie mate.

Just click the little red '+' to the right of the smile next to the fonts section above where you type a message.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Happened to me. All I did was pull up on the buckle while straightening out the buckle as I went up. It does take some muscle.

You could take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
q_and_a
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I'll try some more muscle, I was a little afraid of breaking something. If I do, then I'll take it to the dealer. I'll also take a picure and post it just to prove I'm not afraid of that either.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

why don't you take it to the dealer BEFORE you break something?
If you're not comfortable working on your car, best to leave it to the dealership to take care of the problem under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q_and_a View Post
Thanks, I'll try some more muscle, I was a little afraid of breaking something. If I do, then I'll take it to the dealer. I'll also take a picure and post it just to prove I'm not afraid of that either.
      08-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

btw, when you say it's folded 'length-wise', I'm guessing you meant "width-wise"??

Personally, I would remove the B-pillar cover to take a look and see if I can unfold the seat-belt.
      08-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

It sounds like what happened is that your belt, during retraction, folded over so it's width doubled and then got stuck trying to go through the retraction slot in the B-pillar. Right?

This happens to me once or twice a month. (And for my e36 for years before, too).

Firstly, don't worry about breaking anything by pulling strongly on the seat belt. It's designed to keep you from flying out the windshield from a crash - it can take more than you can give - guaranteed.

Next, what I've found to work best is to slip a finger inside the fold, and then pull it out as much as you can get (sometimes only a 1/2 inch or so), and then force it back as much as you can while unfolding it as best you can. When it gets really stuck, it might take me 4-5 cycles to get it unfolded enough that it has the slack to pull out far enough that the fold opens up. Then it can retract normally.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
exo-ak-dk
Black Magic Wheels - BMW
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90

yea try to post pics....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
q_and_a
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mech_Man View Post
It sounds like what happened is that your belt, during retraction, folded over so it's width doubled and then got stuck trying to go through the retraction slot in the B-pillar. Right?

This happens to me once or twice a month. (And for my e36 for years before, too).

Firstly, don't worry about breaking anything by pulling strongly on the seat belt. It's designed to keep you from flying out the windshield from a crash - it can take more than you can give - guaranteed.

Next, what I've found to work best is to slip a finger inside the fold, and then pull it out as much as you can get (sometimes only a 1/2 inch or so), and then force it back as much as you can while unfolding it as best you can. When it gets really stuck, it might take me 4-5 cycles to get it unfolded enough that it has the slack to pull out far enough that the fold opens up. Then it can retract normally.

Good Luck!

That's it exactly. Your description of how it is folded is spot on. Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm not really worried about breaking anything, I just didn't want to take the b-pillar cover off. In my experience, interior trim pieces take a little more patience to deal with than I typically have. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and don't have the time or desire to go to the dealer right now. If I am unsuccessful, I'll be sure to take it back under warranty. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
q_and_a
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your suggestions. Mech_Man's method worked like a charm. Problem solved and no trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
The post is always a good source for bimmer information.
      08-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

don't have the answer, but here is a detailed description of how the thing works (and some more). Can't remember how i found it. I looked too at disabling the chime. Should be 'easily' done by shortening the seat belt switch (but be careful the cable is next to the seat belt tightening / airbag device), but the the extender won't work anymore. On the bright side the chile switches off after two minutes or so :-)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E92%20COMPLETE%20VEHICLE[1].pdf (1.07 MB, 343 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

Glad to help.

I hadn't heard about these boards until I started looking for details when I found I had to get a new car. Learned about an Option Credit, and just like that, saved a cool $1,210.

Reading these messages are not only entertaining, and informative, but profitable!
Appreciate 0