E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Orange service light won't leave

07-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Orange service light won't leave

Hey guys,

Im pretty sure this isn't normal but now i cant recall anymore. Every time I start my car i get the orange service light, when i look through the menu everything is reset so i don't know what else i can do.

Any advice is appreciated and if this is normal on start up then im way confused because i feel like i used to not see this on stsrt up and it would say OK...

Thanks

Mitch
      07-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

The orange triangle with the exclamation mark in the center?
      07-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN4D View Post
The orange triangle with the exclamation mark in the center?
No the orange car that pops up. I feel like it didn't appear before and it would say OK but maybe im completely out of it? Lol
      07-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
No the orange car that pops up. I feel like it didn't appear before and it would say OK but maybe im completely out of it? Lol
If the icon is a car, NOT on a lift, Neither hood nor trunk open, and its ORANGE and NOT either Yellow or Red, then that means "No Service Due." If you had the car serviced by a Dealer recently, perhaps they "enabled" that little "Feature" to get you to "stop by" and make a deposit.

If you get a chance, take a photo of your instrument cluster or CID, wherever it appears, showing any accompanying icons or text, and post it here as an attachment. You might review the section in your Owner's Manual related to "CBS Condition Based Service." While reviewing the Manual, see the section on "Check Control" and if you have "CC-ID 285", that's what it means. NOT sure how to prevent that from displaying though.

George
Appreciate 1
OTO335i144.50
      07-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
If the icon is a car, NOT on a lift, Neither hood nor trunk open, and its ORANGE and NOT either Yellow or Red, then that means "No Service Due." If you had the car serviced by a Dealer recently, perhaps they "enabled" that little "Feature" to get you to "stop by" and make a deposit.

If you get a chance, take a photo of your instrument cluster or CID, wherever it appears, showing any accompanying icons or text, and post it here as an attachment. You might review the section in your Owner's Manual related to "CBS Condition Based Service." While reviewing the Manual, see the section on "Check Control" and if you have "CC-ID 285", that's what it means. NOT sure how to prevent that from displaying though.

George
Lol yea, that's the norm I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

George
Yes the icon is just an orange car, I don't know why I thought that I didn't see this before lol This and the seatbelt warning are the only two things that pop up when I start my car so you just confirmed that I'm out of it lol

I don't get my car serviced at the dealer or any shop for a matter of fact, I do all my own work on this car so that's out of the question lol also, when I bought my car the owners manual was nowhere to be found so that sucks!

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I think I'm mostly annoyed by the two gongs I get every time I start it so I always think something's up .
      07-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

E9x References; Service Manuals, Owner's Manuals, DTC Lookup

Quote:
...This and the seatbelt warning are the only two things that pop up when I start my car so you just confirmed that I'm out of it lol I don't get my car serviced at the dealer or any shop for a matter of fact, I do all my own work on this car [] so that's out of the question lol also, when I bought my car the owners manual was nowhere to be found... I'm mostly annoyed by the two gongs I get every time I start it so I always think something's up .
For those whose Prior Owner left you "Paperless" here are links to pdf (searchable) manuals, and how to let BMW know how to find you for recall notices, etc. -- no need to feel "out of it" simply because PO WAS, in fact, out of it and kept/lost the manuals:

BMW Owner’s Manual for Vehicle:
https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html

BMW Owner’s Manuals for Radio, Telephone, etc.:
http://www.bavarianmw.com/guide-1347.html

BMWUSA.com Register as New Owner (Get Recall Info, etc.):
https://www.bmwusa.com/secured/conte.../Register.aspx

Don't know if that last one is of any benefit to Canadian owners, but you may have a similar Web page to register.

I don't know how CA (Convenient Access) works or if you have it, but with the standard Remote Key system, the gong should NOT sound at startup UNLESS you have the driver door still open when you put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment. It's actually a reminder that the key is in the slot if you open the door to get out and have left the key in.

Once again, if Prior Owner selected "annoying options," look in your Owner's Manual (paper or pdf), "Settings" in the Index, and see how to correct all of the things that annoy you (Domestic Issues NOT addressed ;-)

For those who want to know how to find FREE service manuals, electrical circuit diagrams, code lookup and MORE, see the attached pdf, "E9x References."

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 30 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For those whose Prior Owner left you "Paperless" here are links to pdf (searchable) manuals, and how to let BMW know how to find you for recall notices, etc. -- no need to feel "out of it" simply because PO WAS, in fact, out of it and kept/lost the manuals:

BMW Owner’s Manual for Vehicle:
https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html

BMW Owner’s Manuals for Radio, Telephone, etc.:
http://www.bavarianmw.com/guide-1347.html

BMWUSA.com Register as New Owner (Get Recall Info, etc.):
https://www.bmwusa.com/secured/conte.../Register.aspx

Don't know if that last one is of any benefit to Canadian owners, but you may have a similar Web page to register.

I don't know how CA (Convenient Access) works or if you have it, but with the standard Remote Key system, the gong should NOT sound at startup UNLESS you have the driver door still open when you put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment. It's actually a reminder that the key is in the slot if you open the door to get out and have left the key in.

Once again, if Prior Owner selected "annoying options," look in your Owner's Manual (paper or pdf), "Settings" in the Index, and see how to correct all of the things that annoy you (Domestic Issues NOT addressed ;-)

For those who want to know how to find FREE service manuals, electrical circuit diagrams, code lookup and MORE, see the attached pdf, "E9x References."

George
Thank you for providing all of this useful information, unfortunatelywhen trying to access the owners manual I get an error message "The BMW Driver´s Guide for this vehicle identification number (VIN) is currently not available." Just my luck lol

I do not have convenient access on my vehicle, but my procedure when starting my car is: get in my car, close the door and place the key in the insert compartment, clutch in and start. The first thing that pops up is the orange car icon (gong 1) then the red seatbelt dude (gong 2) and that's it. I'll have to go through the settings and see if there's something not set to off.