F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Seat swap problem
proTUNING Freaks

06-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #1
N8k
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW

Seat swap problem

Good day everybody! Yesterday i changed seats in my 2012 f30 from the ordinary one with sensatec(mechanics, seat heat) to leather sport lci. I also changed the blue thingy in connector because i found them a little bit different, i used my old ones from previous seats and put them to the new. What i got now - heating is working, BUT - when i turn on heat for passenger it work for driver, and the same way for drivers button Where and what i did wrong ? Thanks, Nik.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
BTW, the blue thingy in the connector is the end from the seat airbag wiring, while the white connector is from wiring to active seat belt adjuster...

I have done (2) seat swaps in my BMW's - 1 with M3 seats into my E90, the other just recently with M4 seats into my F32

I have found by experience (while some say it's not necessary) that it's best to swap over the Airbag, Active Seat Belt Adjuster, & the Seat Control Module from your old seats - to the new seats

The airbag is a PITA & a little fiddly due to the wire routing, but it's worth it in the end as my swaps have had absolutely no errors & all functions work as they should

> My advice would be to 1st get the Control Modules off your old seats (gray or white box that most of the wires plug in to as seen in pic below) & install them in your new seats. Make sure you plug all the wires back in to the correct spots

DS for DS, PS for PS, don't mix them up, & see if that cures the problem

BMW has the DS/PS wired in a funky fashion that tends to create problems when retrofitting
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
N8k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
BTW, the blue thingy in the connector is the end from the seat airbag wiring, while the white connector is from wiring to active seat belt adjuster...

I have done (2) seat swaps in my BMW's - 1 with M3 seats into my E90, the other just recently with M4 seats into my F32

I have found by experience (while some say it's not necessary) that it's best to swap over the Airbag, Active Seat Belt Adjuster, & the Seat Control Module from your old seats - to the new seats

The airbag is a PITA & a little fiddly due to the wire routing, but it's worth it in the end as my swaps have had absolutely no errors & all functions work as they should

> My advice would be to 1st get the Control Modules off your old seats (gray or white box that most of the wires plug in to as seen in pic below) & install them in your new seats. Make sure you plug all the wires back in to the correct spots

BMW has the DS/PS wired in a funky fashion that tends to create problems when retrofitting
Big thanks to you for such a big answer !!

This is how "control module" on my seats look like ?!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

About Airbag replacement - i think i can do it, not a big deal for sure, but need to unscrew seats again. =))
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5680/3...6abcb5fe_z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/gCS4tH/E6_CC5_D...969_E60_F2.jpg[/IMG]

Interestingly enough I've installed f82 seats into my F30. Original control module was fine for the driver, all functions great. For the passenger not so much. With original control module nothing works. With the SM2 grey box (used from original al F82 seat) I get power now but it cuts after a minute. Only way to get power is to unplug battery and then again after 60 seconds it cuts out every time.

So drivers seat is good, but passenger side being a pain.

I've swapped out all airbags and seat belt connectors as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8k View Post
Big thanks to you for such a big answer !!

This is how "control module" on my seats look like ?!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

About Airbag replacement - i think i can do it, not a big deal for sure, but need to unscrew seats again. =))
At this point, if you aren't getting any airbag codes then your good to go - no need to switch the airbag out. It will have nothing to do with the seat heating

Try swapping in your original seat modules and see if that helps
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
N8k
Rep

Quote:
At this point, if you aren't getting any airbag codes then your good to go - no need to switch the airbag out. It will have nothing to do with the seat heating

Try swapping in your original seat modules and see if that helps
By seat modules do you mean this black boxes under my seats on the photo ?!
Yeah, i have nothing at the dashboard about Airbags, i think they are ok. I made my seat swap with turned off the minus from the battery. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By seat modules do you mean this black boxes under my seats on the photo ?!
Yeah, i have nothing at the dashboard about Airbags, i think they are ok. I made my seat swap with turned off the minus from the battery. Thanks!
Yes the black boxes

To be certain, disconnect ground from battery again when you swap the modules
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
N8k
Rep

Quote:
Yes the black boxes

To be certain, disconnect ground from battery again when you swap the modules
Sure! Thanks, ill try it.
Text here after it with results...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
N8k
Rep

Good day, update after black boxes replacement(seat modules) from old factory seats to new ones
-nothing changed, seat heat still work incorrect
-good news is that there is still no errors

[IMG]
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
And here is another question. New seats came with electro side seat support, my old ones didn't have this function. I read about it what ppl just connect 2 wires under the seat and it work... any suggestion on how is better for me to make it work ?!

Under the seat look
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

07-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #10
N8k
Rep

anyone ?! any thoughts ?

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Just wondering if you swap your left and right seat modules if that fixes the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
N8k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
Just wondering if you swap your left and right seat modules if that fixes the problem?
thanks for advice, gonna try this tomorow
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #13
N8k
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
did not help..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
N8k
Rep

Problem solved with switching sides of yellow underseat connectors, because seats were from rhd auto...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Right one from second picture should be under passenger seat(with 2 grounds).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Problem solved with switching sides of yellow underseat connectors, because seats were from rhd auto...

Right one from second picture should be under passenger seat(with 2 grounds).
I had the thought that perhaps you had RHD vehicle replacement seats but you never mentioned that and thought it was a very long shot.

I believe it could be reversed in the coding....but apparently you did it in the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Good to hear you got it working, there are a few differences in wiring to drivers seat and passenger seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:36 AM   #17
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC340_F30 View Post
Interestingly enough I've installed f82 seats into my F30. Original control module was fine for the driver, all functions great. For the passenger not so much. With original control module nothing works. With the SM2 grey box (used from original al F82 seat) I get power now but it cuts after a minute. Only way to get power is to unplug battery and then again after 60 seconds it cuts out every time.

How did you mount the seat belt? Since in the M4 the seat belt is mounted to the chassis, in the F30 the belt is mounted to your seat. 🤔
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #18
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabDev View Post
Quote:

How did you mount the seat belt? Since in the M4 the seat belt is mounted to the chassis, in the F30 the belt is mounted to your seat. 🤔
The M4 seat has a bolt in the same sport, different style bolt but mounting points the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #19
Szab
@ PaddleShifterz
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The M4 seat has a bolt in the same sport, different style bolt but mounting points the same.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah okay, good to know. Could you please take a photo? Unfortunately M2Competition seats don't have that.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #20
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah okay, good to know. Could you please take a photo? Unfortunately M2Competition seats don't have that.
Sorry man I sold the car and seats about 6 months ago...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:00 AM   #21
Bubble Boy
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:

I am in the midst of the same swap, I have the same issue. Did you ever sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #22
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

PM sent - sorry I don't have a photo and sold my car a few months ago.

As mentioned though there's a nut in the same place as your old seat. You take the nut off and slide the belt harness on the bolt and screw.

Can't miss it.
Appreciate 0