F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF F30 DP Fix Problem (N55)
Extreme Powerhouse

06-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
StephensF30
VRSF DP & CP, Straight Pipe, H&R Springs, AG Rims
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Exclamation VRSF F30 DP Fix Problem (N55)

Hey all I am back with another problem. I just had a shop install my VRSF Downpipe fix (blackbox thing) on my 2013 335i (F30). It is supposed to throw off the CEL from the oxygen sensor and get rid of it. Instead when I got the car back they claimed it did not work and called VRSF directly and could not resovle the problem. Now my car throws 2 codes instead of one I am running MHD stage 0 on it rn, would that be the cause of it throwing more codes..? I'm at a loss rn and do not know what else I can do to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

1. If you have MHD, why are you attempting to use a dp fix?

2. Those dp fixes are already known to not work.

3. Read #1.

MHD should be enough to suppress the CEL so you can pass emissions. This is assuming your emissions test doesn't include sniffing the exhaust gas.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
StephensF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
1. If you have MHD, why are you attempting to use a dp fix?

2. Those dp fixes are already known to not work.

3. Read #1.

MHD should be enough to suppress the CEL so you can pass emissions. This is assuming your emissions test doesn't include sniffing the exhaust gas.
MHD does not auto clear the codes for me permanently, every hundred or so miles the cel pops back up and I have to go in and clear it (O2 Sensor). Could this be from running Stage 0?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #4
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephensF30 View Post
Hey all I am back with another problem. I just had a shop install my VRSF Downpipe fix (blackbox thing) on my 2013 335i (F30). It is supposed to throw off the CEL from the oxygen sensor and get rid of it. Instead when I got the car back they claimed it did not work and called VRSF directly and could not resovle the problem. Now my car throws 2 codes instead of one I am running MHD stage 0 on it rn, would that be the cause of it throwing more codes..? I'm at a loss rn and do not know what else I can do to pass emissions.
Not sure what black box thing your talking about but did you install a catless or catted DP?

Also, are you PWG or EWG?

Lastly, why are you running stage 0 and if you are running a catted DP, do you have the catted option checked in the MHD app prior to flashing?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Running MHD on setting 0 is the stock setting so the cel light will show. Set it to any other map and the cell will be inhibited. MHD will not allow you to pass emissions with or without exhaust smell test. The OBDii will show o2 readiness fail.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
StephensF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Not sure what black box thing your talking about but did you install a catless or catted DP?

Also, are you PWG or EWG?

Lastly, why are you running stage 0 and if you are running a catted DP, do you have the catted option checked in the MHD app prior to flashing?
I am PWG (2013), and the back box is the VRSF catless dowpipe fix which is wired into my ecu. I am running stage 0 because I already blew my first chargepipe on the first pull on stage 1. Got scammed by the dealership saying it voided my warranty being a "pipe" $800. I am going to get the fix removed soon and see if it removes one of the codes it is throwing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
StephensF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trcb777 View Post
Running MHD on setting 0 is the stock setting so the cel light will show. Set it to any other map and the cell will be inhibited. MHD will not allow you to pass emissions with or without exhaust smell test. The OBDii will show o2 readiness fail.
I dont think most NC emissions places do the sniff test so I should be fine there. Just need to remove the 2 codes I am throwing because of my O2 sensor.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Quote:
I am PWG (2013), and the back box is the VRSF catless dowpipe fix which is wired into my ecu. I am running stage 0 because I already blew my first chargepipe on the first pull on stage 1. Got scammed by the dealership saying it voided my warranty being a "pipe" $800. I am going to get the fix removed soon and see if it removes one of the codes it is throwing.
Its not a scam, you modified the car past the OEM config. CP is textbook first part to replace on the car before modifying it. You took the risk of adding power to a stock engine and BMW has all the right to not replace because you modified the stock mapping to gain more power thus blowing up their OEM component. If the CP blew under stock mapping (which does happen) then they will replace. This is simple modification/warranty logic. Please read about your warranty and possible OEM fail points when modifying to save yourself a future headache. Also CP aftermarket (aluminum) can be had at for under $200 so you got scammed on install rather than the warranty.
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
StephensF30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tlink View Post
Its not a scam, you modified the car past the OEM config. CP is textbook first part to replace on the car before modifying it. You took the risk of adding power to a stock engine and BMW has all the right to not replace because you modified the stock mapping to gain more power thus blowing up their OEM component. If the CP blew under stock mapping (which does happen) then they will replace. This is simple modification/warranty logic. Please read about your warranty and possible OEM fail points when modifying to save yourself a future headache. Also CP aftermarket (aluminum) can be had at for under $200 so you got scammed on install rather than the warranty.
This is pretty off topic of my issue now. The full story is I flashed mhd stage 1 on and immediately blew my chargepipe. Flashed it back to oem. Brought it to the dealership where I have a engine/drive train warranty and was told it would be covered. 2 hours later I get a phone call of it being done and it turns out my warranty doesn't cover it. The only reason I brought it there was to pay the $100 deductible. I was flat out scammed and you can say what you want. He was going to charge me $1100 but I threatened to sue them and brought it down to $800. This is very off topic now of my real issue now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

Quote:
This is pretty off topic of my issue now. The full story is I flashed mhd stage 1 on and immediately blew my chargepipe. Flashed it back to oem. Brought it to the dealership where I have a engine/drive train warranty and was told it would be covered. 2 hours later I get a phone call of it being done and it turns out my warranty doesn't cover it. The only reason I brought it there was to pay the $100 deductible. I was flat out scammed and you can say what you want. He was going to charge me $1100 but I threatened to sue them and brought it down to $800. This is very off topic now of my real issue now.
Apologies for getting off topic, but my statement still stands for modifying the car and trying to claim a warranty. Regardless to help you out with the DP fix, the only way you can pass an inspection is if you either use a Fabspeed catted DP (guaranteed to show cats in ready state) or throw the OEM cat back in for inspection. Using other catted DPs or catless DPs will not show ready state. For me in NY I'm allowed to have 1 in a not ready state to pass, but since you have 2 O2 sensors that's where the issue happens. The VRSF DP fix is more if you aren't running a tune it will get rid of the CEL but your cats will still not be in a "ready" state, the code is just being masked. MHD does the same thing that your VRSF fix is trying to do.

TLDR: Put OEM back in for inspection then, revert after inspection as most of us with catless DPs do
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

I just passed NYS emissions 2 weeks ago using VRSF DP Fix. Ensure the shop installed correctly by using This DIY. Then you need to drive the car around randomly until monitors become ready. I think I logged 50-100 miles before mine became ready. Depending on what your state requirements are, you may be able to get away with 1 monitor not ready which was my case (all but o2 sensor not ready). GL
      02-07-2022, 11:11 PM   #12
DriverX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6 Spd

Reviving a old thread since I just installed my VSRF DP on my M235i (2016). Car got stage one tune (from a a local tuner, really good tune too) and no more check engine light but still throws the EVAP, o2S, HRT and EGR when testing for readiness, was told to drive it for a bit and then test again but it’s been a week and same issue. Not sure if this fix still works, if so where can I find it? Almost thinking I should put the stock Cat back at this point but would like to see options available before giving up.

I live in MA so should be able to pass with one one ready.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #13
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
It doesnt work on EWG cars

Appreciate 0