F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust Valve - how to make it?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
pavvel
Poland
Rep
Drives: 430i

Exhaust Valve - how to make it?

At the beginning, hello to everyone 

I’m new here but I hope that it’s a good place to share opinions and get knowledge. 
Im from Poland, so I’m very sorry If i make any languages mistakes. 

I’m planing to buy BMW 430i. In general, i’m pretty sure that it will be my next car. Despite of not having it yet, I would like to have everything planned. I’m really interested in good exhaust. I need to have a really loud one. Really, really loud. Previously I had a car with a straight pipe and it was really good, but unfortunately I didn’t have valve, so sometimes it was a bit irritating. 

If I know well, BMW has a valve exhaust, which is open when we set car in Sport or Sport+ mode.
In general it’s a good information, because, I will do downpipe and remove middle muffler, however it’s not good at all.

The valve is open only on sport and sport+, it means that then we also have some others settings which these modes give us, like harder steering wheel, rigid suspension and the engine is more „sport” - don’t know how to say it in English. So it’s a bit bad, cause I would like to have my exhaust loud when I go to work, be in traffic jams etc. Then these settings are not needed or even useless and irritating.

But in the other hand, I would like to have opportunity to close it. Sometimes there are situations, when we need it. Early morning, long trip, underground car park. So .. have you got any ideas how to do it?

Is it a chance to set this valve to be open in comfort, sport and sport+ modes? And only in ECO closed? 
Admit, it will be interesting and nice. Want be ECO? Then you are eco in full way D

Let’s discuss guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

The OEM valve does not make as big of a difference in exhaust volume as you think it does. It has little to no effect on volume. In order to get the different levels of volume that you are looking for, you'll need to do a cutout of some sort, like a valve before the muffler. I believe NicksN20F30 did this, he might be able to answer some questions if you have them.
      06-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

an electric valve is what you are looking for.

Even on the M Performance exhaust, it's not that big of a difference. Also I happen to like the heavier steering on sport mode. It's a nice change yet not like you are driving a car with no power steering. I am honestly in sport mode around town and eco when I go on a long mundane drive (aka commute to work)

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Garage List
An electronic exhaust cut out right before the muffler is the way to go. Opening it allows you to by pass the muffler and as long as you install a downpipe and remove the resonator, it's a straight pipe. When you close the valve, it runs thru the muffler again. Still has a nice tone when the valve is closed but not nearly as loud.

Being that the fuse box is in the boot of BMW's, it makes it easy to run the wires. A real valve exhaust is another options but well more expensive than this method. I will attach pictures.

Also the cut out is pointed downwards allowing the exhaust to essentially bounce off the ground making it even louder.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
rjd_F301999.50
      07-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
Lukelar1283
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328ixdrive

[QUOTE=NicksN20F30;24977319]An electronic exhaust cut out right before the muffler is the way to go. Opening it allows you to by pass the muffler and as long as you install a downpipe and remove the resonator, it's a straight pipe. When you close the valve, it runs thru the muffler again. Still has a nice tone when the valve is closed but not nearly as loud.

Being that the fuse box is in the boot of BMW's, it makes it easy to run the wires. A real valve exhaust is another options but well more expensive than this method. I will attach pictures.

Also the cut out is pointed downwards allowing the exhaust to essentially bounce off the ground making it even louder.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about it.[/QUOTE
] I feel like you would scrape this quite often with it hanging down so low
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Lukelar1283;24977474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksN20F30 View Post
An electronic exhaust cut out right before the muffler is the way to go. Opening it allows you to by pass the muffler and as long as you install a downpipe and remove the resonator, it's a straight pipe. When you close the valve, it runs thru the muffler again. Still has a nice tone when the valve is closed but not nearly as loud.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about it.[/QUOTE
] I feel like you would scrape this quite often with it hanging down so low
Surprisingly it rarely does. Granted I am at stock ride height. Scraping could be avoided however.

When I had the y-pipe welded in, it was positioned at an angle lower than I wanted. So long as you weld it in fairly close to the bottom of the car that shouldn't be an issue.

Only time I've scraped was backing out of a steep driveway. Other than that, speed bumps/humps, are no issue and rarely are driveways.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:

Do you have a link to that cut out please and thanks?
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
Quote:

Do you have a link to that cut out please and thanks?
I got mine from this website. Unfortunately it looks to be sold out but there is other options for similar ones.

https://m.tmart.com/search.html?q=El...xhaust+cut+out

This website has a lot more options, but a little more expensive. Still significantly cheaper than a valves exhaust. These are probably a little better quality as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...ummit%20Racing®%20Complete%20Electric%20Exhaust%20Cutout%20K its

One thing I forgot to mention was that after 6-8 months the motor for the valve did seize up not allowing me to open it. But $40 bucks later after ordering a new motor and 20 minutes under the car, it worked like brand new.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2019, 04:13 AM   #9
pavvel
Poland
Rep

Is it safe? I thought about that and it's really interesting but emissions are under the car. What's about the heat from that? Maybe it's not a problem while driving but what if you stand in traffic?
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #10
rackjuediger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6mt

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have a cutout in mine. Placed right after my catless downpipe. Im lowered on coils so yes, it does scrap against the top of inclines a lot if I don't take then side ways.
Attached Images

Bimmerworld, H
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
rackjuediger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I should add that I get the power for the motor through my cigarette lighter in the car. The kit came with a switch that connects to the port, and then a wire runs through my firewall, down the engine bay, and to the motor itself if that makes sense.
Bimmerworld, H
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
Lukelar1283
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328ixdrive

Quote:

At first I wasn’t very against this idea. But it seems like a semi cheap and easy way to get that “muffler delete” but also not have to deal with the drone when you don’t want to. I think I would do this before ever getting a muffler delete cool idea.. Is this noticeable from the back of the car?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukelar1283 View Post
Quote:

At first I wasn't very against this idea. But it seems like a semi cheap and easy way to get that "muffler delete" but also not have to deal with the drone when you don't want to. I think I would do this before ever getting a muffler delete cool idea..
Exactly my thoughts when I decided I was going to do this. Muffler delete sounds pretty good on this platform but I knew I didn't want to hear it all the time. Plus parking in a garage and living in a residential area, a loud exhaust can be annoying to others or other people in my house. Having the best of both worlds on a budget lol.

It is slightly noticeable from the back of the car. Standing near it, you can't see it. Driving behind it in another sedan or low car you can kind of see it. Anyone who's wanted to check it has to get down on the ground to take a look. When I had it welded in, the shop positioned it a little lower hanging than I would have preferred and also it could have went higher. In addition to that, you could place it almost anywhere that there's a straight section in the exhaust. So in theory you could make it virtually invisible unless you're all the way on the ground or the car is on a lift.

Where I have mine made it very easy to wire directly into the fuse box which is a big part of why I put it there.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvel View Post
Is it safe? I thought about that and it's really interesting but emissions are under the car. What's about the heat from that? Maybe it's not a problem while driving but what if you stand in traffic?
So I had that thought too. I have sat in my car with the valve open for at least 5 minutes before. Never have I smelled exhaust fumes (emissions) in the car.

The valve is also pointed down so I do not believe heat is an issue. If you think about it, there is heat shield placed in the area already because of the stock system. So adding this cut out should not make a difference in heat in that area.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
NicksN20F30
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackjuediger View Post
I have a cutout in mine. Placed right after my catless downpipe. Im lowered on coils so yes, it does scrap against the top of inclines a lot if I don't take then side ways.
I like how yours is set up. At the time I was thinking about a muffler delete. So I considered the placement of mine to be right before the muffler obviously.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #16
pavvel
Poland
Rep

Maybe its stupid, but ... are you not afraid of hooking it? Many times when i park on curbs I unfortunately hear this bad sound that something is being scrubbed
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #17
pavvel
Poland
Rep

Yesterday some guy told me something interesting...

Let's plug the valve to some button in your car and open/close it when you want. The power is, the main problem is the smart guy who knows electronic should build this connection - 0/1 button which switch on/off it. Do you think about it?

Second think, can anyone explain me how the exhaust works? When the valve is open, the way for the emissions is longer so it should be quieter.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Nice! Link to this e-cut-out please and thanks?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would also appreciate a link to where you got it
      07-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #20
rackjuediger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Quote:
Would also appreciate a link to where you got it
Bought it off ebay. It won't let me share the link with you guys unfortunately. They're all over the place
Bimmerworld, H
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bought it off ebay. It won't let me share the link with you guys unfortunately. They're all over the place
Gotcha... I just ordered the Raceland 3" cutout. Probably going to go right behind the DP like yours. Hopefully will have it installed within the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help
      07-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #22
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

ECS tuning has a good selection and allows you to "build your own"

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...pdk=AAAABgQEAg
Appreciate 0