E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermediate starting problems

06-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Itsmeveee
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320d msport

Intermediate starting problems

Hi all , first post on forum so here we go...

I've bought an 2008 e90 320d msport a few months back and it's been driving like a charm for the first (lets say) 15k miles.

One day I drove the car for about 5 miles to a friend's house, parked up , engine off.

After about 10 minutes I got back to the car and to my surprise it wouldn't start ....

Ive put the key in ignition press brake pedal press start button ...nothing (no cranking , no error on dash).

Then I've put the key into ignition, this time without the brake pedal , accessories on first then brake pedal and start button, nothing.... (no cranking ,check lights off, no error or warning on dash).

After that , I've disconnected the negative battery for about 3-5 min thinking it might be an error somewhere in the ECU...

Re-connected the battery, tried again , nothing..(still the same , no error no warning , no cranking).

At this point I thought there is no hope and decided to phone the rescue truck , after about 15 min on the phone to recovery company + 10 min wait time I've tried the car again...aaaaand , it started - no hesitation on the starter or cranking , just started straight away...

cancel the rescue...( cost on me )..

I drove the car home happly thinking it was probably the battery or alternator , or maybe starter ( although it started within the first crank- after a while... ).

Got home , switched the car off , left it for a couple of hours , got back in it , tried starting again ...first go , no problem...

Had the battery , alternator + starter check at my local garage and the guys couldn't see anything wrong with anything , so I left thinking the problem is gone ...

was I lucky ?

No... after about a month of driving ( no problems with starting) , one morning I start the car ...drive it roughly 15 miles , park the car , go to work...

After my shift I get into the car , no problems starting , few miles down the road , park up , quick shopping stop .. back to the car .. routine - key in , press start , check light come on and then all go off ,press brake pedal then start button and nothing again , just single click from "around the dashboard "as usual
.. I couldn't locate where this was coming from...

Thought maybe I just have to wait again .. without disconnecting the battery I sat in the car for about 20 min , tried to start....nothing

disconnected the battery again...

i wait 5 min before re-connecting...

plug the battery negative back in ... sat in the car (20) min, let's try start again... nothing

call the recovery...

20min gone , recovery nearly here , key in , accessory on , brake on, press start aaaaannd it started again ....

another recovery cancel (cost on me )..

after another (2k ??) miles the no start happened to me again today ,same story , wait , battery disconnect, wait ...re-connect ..wait..wait and the car finally started up...sigh...

I've checked all the fuses after the first and second occurrence , all seem to be ok...

I'm not sure what to look at next ...?

Might be wrong but i don't think it's the starter as it starts with the first crank ( when it actually cranks when i press the start button ) , battery is in very good condition
, alternator charges , fuses ok ...

are there any relays I should be checking ?

Atm I have no idea where to start looking , any advice ? thanks in advance and also , sorry for the long post , just wanted to make this as clear as possible...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
N52bigblock
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

It could be the starter motor, but you should really start by getting the car scanned for any fault codes.
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2425.00