BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

08-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Claying a new car

Well I'm gearing up for my first big detail day with the car. As much as I wanted to avoid all the steps, I'm going to do it. Here is what I'm using on my Alpine White M3:

(1) Wash with P21S
(2) Clay with CG Light (Blue Color) Clay
(3) Polish with Zymol HD CLeanse
(4) Jetseal 109
(5) Zymol light creme wax as a topper.

Sounds good?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

sorry I meant to ask is it 100% necessary to clay a new car????
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamie92m3 View Post
sorry I meant to ask is it 100% necessary to clay a new car????
No, not at all. Clay is to remove contaminants from the paint surface, which a new car has not had time to accumulate. Also, since clay contains an abrasive, it's best not to overuse it.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 e92

How about POLISHING a new car with hardly any spider marks? Is that really necessary?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

My experiance with clay-bar and polish is that first; you don't need to clay-bar a new car (paint job) unless it was stored someplace where contaminates got to it and after you polish it, you run your hand across the paint and can still feel little bits of crap, then it might need it, but a rare situation.
Second; if you use a polish then without a good quality variable speed buffer, it's pointless. But with a new car paint, i don't think you need it and unless your very carefull and have done it a number of times with a buffer, you'll end up making swirl marks instead of getting rid of them.
I've used a variable speed buffer for years on my cars and only on the paint that after time has taken it's couse on the paint, was it usefull and removed the swirl marks. So my advise to you is, if you don't have swirl marks or bad ones at least, hand polish with good quality clean clothes and just go with a good quality wax and keep it clean. Good luck!

By the way, if you do end up doing the clay-bar job, it'll leave rub marks on the paint, not very noticable on white, but then after you will be forced to use a buffer to polish the paint and remove the rub marks, then wax with the buffer. I've done this many times on two black cars and every 6 months I would clay-bar and allways had to go with a buffer afterwords to clean up the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Question

SO then the best thing to do is?

(1) Wash
(2) Glaze with Zymol HD Cleanse (I have used this stuff on all my cars and it works great in removing old wax, cleaning the paint, and creating a nice shine. You definitely don't need a mechanical buffer for this stuff
(3) Jet Seal (I prefer not to wax every month)
(4) Layer of Carnauba wax for nice shine

Does this sound Good? Then in 6 months if the car has any dirt in the paint I can clay it then?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
dunkarooos
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, Hummer H2, BMWz3

I am going to go against what everyone has said. It is recommended you clay when you get a new car. Sure there aren't any visible contaminates on the paint but there certainly is rail dust and other industrial impurities. As for paint "marring" from clay, it can be from a myriad of reasons: 1) You're not using enough lube. 2) You're pressing down too hard. 3) You're using the wrong strength of clay (ranging from fine to extreme). As for swirls, I can almost guarantee you have light swirls, just look at your paint on a sunny day; I suggest you remove them. No matter how expensive or great the wax and/or sealant is, you're not going to be able to achieve its full potential because of the multitude directions that light will reflect.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Guys, here is a great resource. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41760

For those who say not to clay a new car, I also disagree. Before you seal your car for the first time, it is important to get all those contaminants off the paint (rail dust, factory wax, etc). Also, what would be the point of polishing a new car when it has no scratches or swirl marks? I would recommend a paint cleaner and skip the polish.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I'd say that everyone is right and no one is wrong about clay-barring your new car. The contamination on the paint is minimul on a new car (normally) and if you're good with a buffer then spend the time and do it all but if your not carefull, you could add to the problem so just take your time, find some threads on how to clay-bar and buff a car and be carefull. www.premiumautocare.com has some good info and tips + products.
Appreciate 0