F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Best door lock cylinder?
Studio RSR

06-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Best door lock cylinder?

Reading online some ABS ones suck. The Avocet can be picked.

Are there any decent cylinders out there now?

Pretty much all the 3 star versions are anti-bump, anti-snap and, anti-drill.

However, even the best 3 star diamond ones such as Ultion can be picked within 10 seconds - videos online.

I want something that cannot even be picked by a locksmith and the entire door needs to be kicked in by the fire brigade if I lose all keys.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post

However, even the best 3 star diamond ones such as Ultion can be picked within 10 seconds - videos online.

I want something that cannot even be picked by a locksmith and the entire door needs to be kicked in by the fire brigade if I lose all keys.

Thanks
Evva 4KS.

They're a fortune but meant to be good.

I just went with Ultion. Think anyone who knows what they're doing can pick a lock. An everyday thief just wants an easy way in by snapping a lock.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13361.50
      06-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
M40CCA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xdrive LCI msport

I have a ironmongery/locks department at work I'll have a word with the sales manager tomorrow for you mate
Soul_Glo13361.50
      06-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

Thanks
Whilst any lock can be picked, the people doing the YouTube videos are professional lock smith/ pickers and are working in a calm environment. They have probably also practised a hundred times on the lock in question.
I somehow doubt anyone on this forum is in the league to attract serious professional burglars that are ace pickers. You are more likely to have a patio door glass smashed as that takes zero intelligence and 2 seconds.

You can only make it as difficult as possible by fitting locks that aren't made of cheese.
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13361.50
Russbmw680.00
      06-24-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I'm inclined to agree with the above - get any 3 star lock, ultion/ abs/ yale etc.

The average criminal use brute force to get in - and wont pick it.

Organised crime that target houses dont pick them either.. and use some other forced means of entry - my sister had a targeted break in last year - they lifted an upstairs window panes to gain entry - then went through stud walls to avoid the interior PIR.... and she had ABS euro cylinders!

I'd image the only people that would want to pick a lock are those that want to cover their tracks - think espionage/ CIA etc
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13361.50
      06-24-2019, 04:49 AM   #6
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

Or someone will just smash a window if they want to get into your house!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the responses and know there are many other methods for breaking in. I am thinking about how to approach security for my daughters new home. It's an end terrace house and as such there is side access. It's a wooden gate. Looks sturdy but with brute force it could be overcome.

So far she has gone down the Nest Camera route. She doesn't have a lot in savings so cannot get an alarm sorted this month. Next month she says.

Anyhow, the back of the house is most vulnerable and if someone didn't want to break glass then under cover they could spend their time picking the lock to their hearts content.

Our local lock smith picked an ABS Avocet in 10 seconds flat. I was going on and on about how good the brand is and he said he would show me.

I am awaiting to hear from him on further solutions but he did have some great suggestions when he visited.

I understand that some thieves are dumb but I won't chance it. Yes if someone wants to get in that bad they can but I want to slow them down and make life as difficult as possible for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
I appreciate the responses and know there are many other methods for breaking in. I am thinking about how to approach security for my daughters new home. It's an end terrace house and as such there is side access. It's a wooden gate. Looks sturdy but with brute force it could be overcome.

So far she has gone down the Nest Camera route. She doesn't have a lot in savings so cannot get an alarm sorted this month. Next month she says.

Anyhow, the back of the house is most vulnerable and if someone didn't want to break glass then under cover they could spend their time picking the lock to their hearts content.

Our local lock smith picked an ABS Avocet in 10 seconds flat. I was going on and on about how good the brand is and he said he would show me.

I am awaiting to hear from him on further solutions but he did have some great suggestions when he visited.

I understand that some thieves are dumb but I won't chance it. Yes if someone wants to get in that bad they can but I want to slow them down and make life as difficult as possible for them.
Got french patio doors per chance?

Locks are the least of the issue. Get a decent lock (we have Yale 3*) and a patlock - other than that they will bust the wooden gate and pop the glass in ours.

If it wasn't for the dogs - they're better than 3* locks, but alot more hassle - seriously though - you can only deter and you have to weigh up the cost sensibly - lots of criminals out there are not at all bothered by cameras etc...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
Quote:

Got french patio doors per chance?

Locks are the least of the issue. Get a decent lock (we have Yale 3*) and a patlock - other than that they will bust the wooden gate and pop the glass in ours.

If it wasn't for the dogs - they're better than 3* locks, but alot more hassle - seriously though - you can only deter and you have to weigh up the cost sensibly - lots of criminals out there are not at all bothered by cameras etc...
Yes French doors. I have been speaking to a few security experts and owners of companies that provide alarms as their bread and butter. Two companies and my research point toward cameras. One guy said cameras and alarms are the ultimate. One said cameras are pointless as people obscure their face. Another said well a camera is a deterrent. We see car thefts on here where crooks give the camera the finger. The guy said that even if that's the case the footage can be used to place someone at the scene of the crime: date, time, weather, clothes, what features were visible...

I think what I will do is invest in a metal gate. To reinforce the wooden door and put a metal gate behind it.

The glass on the French doors has been security fitted so it cannot be removed from outside. It can be cut though as all glass can be even if it is anti-shatter. The frame is reinforced so again it cannot be cut unless an industrial strength angle grinder is used.

The lock smith said he had attended to a few where the entire latch was cut out. The owner didn't have a rock door and was devastated. Ultion refused to pay out naturally because why would you part with £1000 when the lock was intact?

Where the fork is Brigand when you need him?! The least he could have done was remaining on the off topic board.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I've just had a Rock Door fitted, fuck me they're expensive! Like the door of a Swiss vault though. Don't know what lock barrel is in it; whatever Rock supply as standard I assume. It has a 3* marking on it.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

We have a Hormann Steel door and it’s great. Couldn’t believe how quiet the house was after we had it installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Yes French doors. I have been speaking to a few security experts and owners of companies that provide alarms as their bread and butter. Two companies and my research point toward cameras. One guy said cameras and alarms are the ultimate. One said cameras are pointless as people obscure their face. Another said well a camera is a deterrent. We see car thefts on here where crooks give the camera the finger. The guy said that even if that's the case the footage can be used to place someone at the scene of the crime: date, time, weather, clothes, what features were visible...

I think what I will do is invest in a metal gate. To reinforce the wooden door and put a metal gate behind it.

The glass on the French doors has been security fitted so it cannot be removed from outside. It can be cut though as all glass can be even if it is anti-shatter. The frame is reinforced so again it cannot be cut unless an industrial strength angle grinder is used.

The lock smith said he had attended to a few where the entire latch was cut out. The owner didn't have a rock door and was devastated. Ultion refused to pay out naturally because why would you part with £1000 when the lock was intact?

Where the fork is Brigand when you need him?! The least he could have done was remaining on the off topic board.
If its a new build then building regs means all windows and doors should be internally beaded so you cant remove the pane from the outside.

If its standard new build cheap as chips patio door then you can get a screw driver/ crow bar etc to the frame and flex the door frame - which will shatter the door glass allowing a quieter entry then smashing the door.

Best option really is a visible deterrent/alarm, lighting then camera's, add a trellis etc over the back fence and side gate.... basically to make your house a harder target then the neighbors.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13361.50
      06-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #13
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

never rely on a single source of protection. house alarm, CCTV, protect rear access and use any 3 star rated "snap proof" lock.

some people choose to go down the laminated glass route, but each to there own, and decent composite doors would be recommended.

also simple things like security lights are great deterrents. I've also recently contemplated leaving a key downstairs but with the battery taken out.

now, I'm not saying this would prevent any burglary attempts, but would make 95% of scum look for an easier opportunity.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
When I was changing some locks about 6 months ago I did some research and came across a YouTube channel called LockPickingLawyer. Fascinating channel and shows just how easy it is for someone with some skill to pick any lock. As others have said, cover the basics like anti-drill, anti-bump etc., and invest in other measures because any lock can be picked.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

I have ultion and also patlock seems the best combo.
The scum here are blow torching the upvc and pulling the locks out intact.
Appreciate 0