BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Z4 G29 M40i review after 1500 miles

06-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
Z4 G29 M40i review after 1500 miles

Now that I have had the car for ten weeks and covered 1,500 miles, I thought I would post another short review of my impressions and experiences so far. The car has now completed its break-in period and I have started to open it up a bit, not too much yet but sufficient enough to be able to report that it feels much more lively and responsive.

Driving Experiences
The engine has pretty well loosened up now compared to when it was new and I can really feel the difference, especially in sport mode. Give the gas pedal a bit of a hard tickle and it sure takes off like a bat out of hell. You really need to hold it back or you could easily get in trouble with the law. The sound of that exhaust note is fantastic, especially when you go up the Rev range and also when you lift off and you get all the pops and crackles from the rear of the car.
The handling of the car is pretty secure and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres do a great job in keeping the line on twisty roads. You can feel the extra weight of the B58 engine in the corners but not to the extent of causing the car to become unstable. The car just feels stuck to the road, in dry conditions anyway. Not sure about in the wet; not brave enough to try it.

Ride and Comfort; the Vernasco leather sports seats are super comfortable, even on an extended drive. The chassis is sufficiently compliant in comfort mode to give a fairly smooth ride but firm enough not to wallow in corners. In sport and sport plus the suspension stiffens up significantly but not to the extend that the ride becomes uncomfortable. You really do get the best of both worlds, a very comfortable cruiser or a sporty beast if you want a bit of excitement.

Fuel consumption; I don’t think anyone buying the M40i will be too concerned about fuel consumption but here are my findings anyway. Post break-in period I am managing around 30 mpg (UK gallons) with a mixture of town and open road driving. When I get another few hundred miles on the clock and start to use the full power of the car more readily I expect this to go down to about 28mpg overall. I am in the older age bracket so won’t be going too mad with the car but some of the younger and more courageous drivers might struggle to get above 25 mpg (UK, about 21 mpg US).

Issues and Problems
The main problem that I have experienced is stones getting stuck in the (front) brakes. This happened to me four times in the first three weeks of ownership and it sounds absolutely horrendous. If the stone does not come out after a short forward and reverse movement It can take quite a few miles of driving to free the stone. There is no jack in the car so I was unable to lift it up and spin the wheel to see where the stone was and get it out. BMW asked me to take the car to my dealer for inspection and to measure the dimensions of the gaps between the shields and disc rotors. This was carried out a few weeks ago. The dealer also took a video and sent everything to BMW HO for review. So far I have not had any feedback but will let the forum know if I hear anything more.

The Harman/Kardon sound system, optional in the G29, is not nearly as good as it was in other previous BMW’s that I owned. I adjusted the settings in the Logic 7 Surround equaliser, as recommended by another forum member, and this has improved the sound quality. A little bit fiddly but worth the effort to improve the basic sound.

The CR2032 battery in each remote key needed to be replaced, the first one at 5 weeks and the other at 8 weeks. A “low remote control battery voltage” warning appeared in the instrument panel when I started the engine. No big deal but worth a mention as these batteries should last years, not weeks. May just be faulty batteries, time will tell.

Driver Profiles; I discovered that in iDrive v7, unlike the previous iDrive v6, if you want to use a different driver profile on the second key, then you need to create a separate BMW ConnectedDrive account for each driver. Another option is to use the built-in Guest profile for the second key and set this up as required, but you are unable to change the Guest profile name. You can however set up a 4-digit PIN code for each profile and use the PIN code each time you want to change to another profile.

Well that’s all I have to report at the moment. It would be interesting to hear how other Z4 G29 owners are getting on with their cars.
Appreciate 4
gblansten1910.00
clee1982796.00
      06-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Thanks for sharing.

....wish it would stop raining, this is killing me! LOL

Dave
Appreciate 1
Jim S385.00
      06-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

I've driven mine in the rain several times - there's nothing to be scared of. Just be a bit more judicious with the throttle. Even if you don't, the stability control is not going to let you slide. Mind you, if you turn of stability control and floor it around a corner, you've got a different problem.
Appreciate 1
Jim S385.00
      06-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
I've driven mine in the rain several times - there's nothing to be scared of. Just be a bit more judicious with the throttle. Even if you don't, the stability control is not going to let you slide. Mind you, if you turn of stability control and floor it around a corner, you've got a different problem.
Sounds like a bit of fun. Must give it a try when I am wearing my brave face
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
Oh, it isn't that; I'm just too lazy to wash and polish it all again! Trust me, after spending the last few years with a 500+hp Jaguar F type RWD with crappy Pirelli P-Zeros, driving the Z4 in the rain gives me no particular anxiety!

between having to wash it and having to drive with the top up, it's just alot easier to leave it in the garage for a day or two....doesn't typically rain much here this time of year.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
One thing that I forgot to mention in my review. The best option on my car, by far, is the Head-Up Display (HUD). I would highly recommend specifying this on any new car, even though in the UK (not sure about USA) you need to order the Technology Package at a cost of £1,800 to get it along with a few other options as you can't order HUD on its own.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
One thing that I forgot to mention in my review. The best option on my car, by far, is the Head-Up Display (HUD). I would highly recommend specifying this on any new car, even though in the UK (not sure about USA) you need to order the Technology Package at a cost of £1,800 to get it along with a few other options as you can't order HUD on its own.
Amen on the HUD. I have loved it in my recent cars. Even got non-polarized sunglasses so I could appreciate it during the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
Jim S
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Amen on the HUD. I have loved it in my recent cars. Even got non-polarized sunglasses so I could appreciate it during the day.
Yes, good point gblansten, HUD does not work with polarising sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I like the HUD too. Here the M40i comes with all the mechanical goodies standard; every luxury option is covered under the Premium package except for the Parking assistant and Active Cruise Control, both of which are covered under the "Driver Assistance Package"

So other than the color, interior color, interior trim, black out grills yes/no, wheels there are no other options in Canada for an M40i except those two and a couple minor ones;

- smokers package
- M seat belts.

....that's it. It's about 4,689 times easier than ordering a Porsche! LOL

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

one issue w the HUD, at least in my X3, is that Apple Car Play (which I use exclusively) is not compatible, so all i get from my HUD is speed limit info.
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #11
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
one issue w the HUD, at least in my X3, is that Apple Car Play (which I use exclusively) is not compatible, so all i get from my HUD is speed limit info.
This may change with iOS 13. For now you will only see Music or Navigation information if you stick with BMW iDrive vs CarPlay
      06-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
That's been the deal breaker for me with Carplay on my X5M. I use the nav regularly since it does live traffic updates and has saved me on commuting from one place to the other when working.
Appreciate 0