BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads Dinan G30 M550i S1 Signature Package

06-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
NCMMichael
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

Dinan G30 M550i S1 Signature Package

I just installed the full Dinan S1 signature package on my '19 m550. The package includes the elite v2 tune, free flow exhaust, performance springs, the "supplemental ride quality and handling kit" and of course, the cheesy Dinan badge. Twenty four hours in I am very pleased but a bit surprised with the amount of drop I ended up with. While researching springs it seemed common knowledge that Dinan springs would provide a very modest drop. Some even said it wouldn't be worth it from an aesthetics perspective, but I was more concerned with the way it felt and pulled the trigger. It's only suppose to be a .75 inch drop, but for my taste, this is pretty much slammed. I'll definitely be taking speed bumps and driveway curbs one wheel at a time. The Dinan exhaust tips are bigger then I expected as well but I am quite pleased with the results. However, I was surprised Dinan does not offer the free flow mid pipe referenced in every m550/dinan S1 review. With the stock mid pipe/resonators in place, it's fairly tame but there is a noticeable bass note that surprised me at idle and when shifting gears. I wouldn't mind more growl, and I might have a mid X pipe built for it, but I'll give it some time before deciding for sure.... From a performance standpoint, this car is insanely fast and with a more aggressive stance and stiffer ride, it feels closer to a proper M5 than it does a standard G30. Overall I am very pleased.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
      06-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMMichael View Post
I just installed the full Dinan S1 signature package on my '19 m550. The package includes the elite v2 tune, free flow exhaust, performance springs, the "supplemental ride quality and handling kit" and of course, the cheesy Dinan badge. Twenty four hours in I am very pleased but a bit surprised with the amount of drop I ended up with. While researching springs it seemed common knowledge that Dinan springs would provide a very modest drop. Some even said it wouldn't be worth it from an aesthetics perspective, but I was more concerned with the way it felt and pulled the trigger. It's only suppose to be a .75 inch drop, but for my taste, this is pretty much slammed. I'll definitely be taking speed bumps and driveway curbs one wheel at a time. The Dinan exhaust tips are bigger then I expected as well but I am quite pleased with the results. However, I was surprised Dinan does not offer the free flow mid pipe referenced in every m550/dinan S1 review. With the stock mid pipe/resonators in place, it's fairly tame but there is a noticeable bass note that surprised me at idle and when shifting gears. I wouldn't mind more growl, and I might have a mid X pipe built for it, but I'll give it some time before deciding for sure.... From a performance standpoint, this car is insanely fast and with a more aggressive stance and stiffer ride, it feels closer to a proper M5 than it does a standard G30. Overall I am very pleased.
It's funny I just got the V2 "tune" and was about to get the springs. Was told the same .75" drop,
Your car looks awesome, fronts maybe 1/4"inch lower than I'd have for my application. I'm pleased with tune as I'm sure you are, I came from F10 M5 with bolt ons and with the piggy alone it feels almost the same when I hit it from a role. You have the nice M wheels.
Something inexpensive that I do with every BMW I get is spacers for the wheels. With how low it sits up front spend $150 and try 10mm spacers upfront and 13- maybe 15mm for rears.
Sure you love exhaust too! I asked my dealer to swap my optional 20" wheels for the ones you have on my lease I got a month ago
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
NCMMichael
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Quote:
It's funny I just got the V2 "tune" and was about to get the springs. Was told the same .75" drop,
Your car looks awesome, fronts maybe 1/4"inch lower than I'd have for my application. I'm pleased with tune as I'm sure you are, I came from F10 M5 with bolt ons and with the piggy alone it feels almost the same when I hit it from a role. You have the nice M wheels.
Something inexpensive that I do with every BMW I get is spacers for the wheels. With how low it sits up front spend $150 and try 10mm spacers upfront and 13- maybe 15mm for rears.
Sure you love exhaust too! I asked my dealer to swap my optional 20" wheels for the ones you have on my lease I got a month ago
Considering I'm only 24 hours in, I surely hope it doesn't drop any more. The lower air dam beneath the white lip is pretty damn close to the ground. It feels great on the road though. It is so much more aggressive.

I was considering spacers but am not sure it's worth the trouble or expense at this point. It looks pretty balanced as it currently sits.

I'm embarrassed to say, I had a '19 540 that I traded in for the m550 after three months. I had a Dinan Elite v2 on that car with the m performance exhaust. I imagine both cars are faster to 60 with the tune, but I love what the Dinan tune does for the car when you're giving it a little juice, not necessarily killing it. That mid range power in each gear pulls so hard and brings the car to life just cruising around town. It really is a ridiculous amount of power which is hard to truly appreciate without putting yourself well over the speed limit. Hit the gas and you're at 90 in a flash.

Love it!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You'll love it more and more
Good job!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Looks very aggressive, though can't imagine doing it here in nyc, probably destroy by pot hole in no time, the exhaust is definitely a bit bigger than my liking might be the angle though
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Wow looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Your car looks incredible!

It does look lower than I would have expected. It will most likely settle over the coming days and week so it may even go another .10-.15" lower.

For the badging- I'd take some fishing line or floss and a heat gun/hair dryer and take that off ASAP!

Those tips do look pretty big. Are they 4"?

EDIT: Just looked at your 2nd picture again and the tips look like they're sticking out quite far from the car which makes the tips appear even bigger when looking at it from the back like in the last picture. Is that how all Dinan exhaust sits? I'm not super familiar with Dinan so that could just be the way it fits for the G30. Nonetheless, everything looks very tastefully done.

Enjoy it in good health!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 06-17-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
NCMMichael
Rep

Other then my own, I have not seen another Dinan exhaust on a m550. From the pictures I've seen, I believe mine is installed as designed. The tips are 4 inches across and have the name Dinan written around the circumference. It seems it was intended for the writing to be visible which means the tips would need to extend beyond the bumper. They're adjustable and I have the outside tips pushed in as far as possible to better follow the curve of the bumper, but they still attract a bit more attention then I'd like. I may swap them out for the matte black tips. When making the purchase I liked the idea of the chrome to match the other silver accents on the car, but it's starting to bother me. It looks a little out of place. I want it to look aggressive, but not like a 20 something's ricer...
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Other then my own, I have not seen another Dinan exhaust on a m550. From the pictures I've seen, I believe mine is installed as designed. The tips are 4 inches across and have the name Dinan written around the circumference. It seems it was intended for the writing to be visible which means the tips would need to extend beyond the bumper. They're adjustable and I have the outside tips pushed in as far as possible to better follow the curve of the bumper, but they still attract a bit more attention then I'd like. I may swap them out for the matte black tips. When making the purchase I liked the idea of the chrome to match the other silver accents on the car, but it's starting to bother me. It looks a little out of place. I want it to look aggressive, but not like a 20 something's ricer...
The matte black tips may yield less attention by blending in more with the rear valance. Another route is to just have a reputable exhaust shop fit a pair of tips exactly how you want. Either going down to a 3.5" outlet and/or decreasing the amount they stick out. From the quick reading I've done on the Dinan exhaust, the Dinan tips will probably have to be cut off in order to achieve the result. The best part is neither of those would affect the performance or sound. As long as you have at least a 3" outlet then it'll be free flowing without any restrictions.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 06-17-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
For the badging- I'd take some fishing line or floss and a heat gun/hair dryer and take that off ASAP
+1
      06-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
NCMMichael
Rep

While the 4 inch tips may be a bit bold, I have no desire to have them removed. I just need to decide whether to stick with the polished chrome or give the matte black tips a try.

Regarding de-badging, a very small minority of those that own a proper M5 debadge their car. That "M5" emblem means something. I imagine a very small number of those with the m550 rush out to debadge their cars either.

As far as the DINAN emblem itself, it won't mean anything to 99% of the people that see it, but in my view it's like a secret hand shake for other enthusiast that get it. Anyone with money can buy a m550. Only an enthusiast would work to add power on top of a car that is already incredibly powerful, and only a fellow enthusiast would recognize the difference. If leaving the emblem on the car leads to meeting other enthusiast (which it did at Starbucks earlier today), I'm all for it.
Appreciate 3
      06-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
While the 4 inch tips may be a bit bold, I have no desire to have them removed. I just need to decide whether to stick with the polished chrome or give the matte black tips a try.

Regarding de-badging, a very small minority of those that own a proper M5 debadge their car. That "M5" emblem means something. I imagine a very small number of those with the m550 rush out to debadge their cars either.

As far as the DINAN emblem itself, it won't mean anything to 99% of the people that see it, but in my view it's like a secret hand shake for other enthusiast that get it. Anyone with money can buy a m550. Only an enthusiast would work to add power on top of a car that is already incredibly powerful, and only a fellow enthusiast would recognize the difference. If leaving the emblem on the car leads to meeting other enthusiast (which it did at Starbucks earlier today), I'm all for it.
The only car I've Dbadged was my 535. I'd never Dbadge an M5 or my M550, and I agree with you about the Dinan badge. I'd come up and be asking questions about the car seeing obviously there are similar interests.
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #13
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

the car looks great overall, but I agree that the bright polished tips look a touch out of place. I'd imagine the matte black set would be an improvement.

I'm strongly considering the S1 sig pkg, but for my taste the 4" quad set up just seems off-scale to me. I'd be looking for a similarly styled matte black 3.5" or so
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #14
NCMMichael
Rep

The tips are growing on me over time. I think I will give the matte black a try, but I have no issue with the size. Large and in charge....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Oh no, I just meant debadging DINAN as I think their badge has always been overly large/stands out too much and takes away from the M5 or M550 badge (or any car badge). I would never debadge the M5 on a M5 or M550 on a M550.

I may not even mind it if it were the same size as the rest of the badges on the back or more subtle like them.

Nevertheless, your car looks great and thanks for sharing the pictures! Enjoy your car!

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #16
NCMMichael
Rep

I agree regarding the size and font. I spoke with DINAN about it and it pretty much "is what it is" unless I go the ebay route. With such variety in BMW emblems across so many models, DINAN basically stopped trying to have a matching emblem for all applications. Again, it's one of those things we notice while staring at a picture of the car, but no one in the real world will give it a 2nd thought.

I prefer the black m550 emblem as well over mine. Are those sold as aftermarket parts or do some 550's come with black and others with silver?

I just placed an order for the matte black tips. They'll be here before the weekend and I'll post a new pic or two after I bolt them on.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Your car looks great.

With that said, I'm beginning to worry these Dinan springs were not the right choice for me. Dinan claims a .75" drop all around. Your looks to be a lot lower than .75" - and I'm running an aggressive 20" wheels setup with slightly oversized tires for a more comfortable ride & better wheel protection.

The car is in the shop right now getting the springs installed, along with some other cosmetic modifications. I guess I'll have to wait until Thursday to find out if it's going to rub.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
NCMMichael
Rep

If it makes you feel any better, mine is running on 20's with no rubbing at all, but I'm using the factory installed tires.

Post pics when done. What other mods?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #19
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Any video clips ? lol

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #20
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Oh no, I just meant debadging DINAN as I think their badge has always been overly large/stands out too much and takes away from the M5 or M550 badge (or any car badge). I would never debadge the M5 on a M5 or M550 on a M550.
I have never been a fan of any type of badging. I think they take away from the clean lines of the car. Personally I would pull off the M5 on a M5 or M550 on a M550 or the M anything off of the M anything. As far as a conversation starter with a "car enthusiast", wouldn't they be able to identify the car by looking at the differences in the lines and/or equipment of the car? A badge is a billboard to advertise what you have to the average person or ones own ego. My interest gets peaked when I can't tell what you have done, that's when I ask questions.

That's just my opinion which amounts to NOTHING!

OP does have a good looking car.
      06-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #21
NCMMichael
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post
I have never been a fan of any type of badging. I think they take away from the clean lines of the car. Personally I would pull off the M5 on a M5 or M550 on a M550 or the M anything off of the M anything. As far as a conversation starter with a "car enthusiast", wouldn't they be able to identify the car by looking at the differences in the lines and/or equipment of the car? A badge is a billboard to advertise what you have to the average person or ones own ego. My interest gets peaked when I can't tell what you have done, that's when I ask questions.

That's just my opinion which amounts to NOTHING!

OP does have a good looking car.
Each to their own, but I would substitute "one's own ego" for "one's own satisfaction". Ego sounds negative. I've wanted an "M" since I was a kid and I like seeing what I've worked hard for sitting in my garage (owned an E92 M3 in the past too). I get your point, and people should do whatever they want with their own car, but don't assume everyone else is a braggart. Should we start removing the blue and white BMW emblems from the hood too?

I'm only adding this post as a bit of tongue and cheek... Love'em, hate'em, or make up a new model (m540) and slap that emblem on your car, it really doesn't matter at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #22
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've worked hard for what is sitting in my garage
No doubt, well said my friend, we are all so blessed to disagree over a badge, 1st world problems!!!

Post up some pics of the black tips when you get then installed.