E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e92 stops having issues when at quarter of a tank of gas?

06-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
ryanaruddy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT Le Mans Blue

e92 stops having issues when at quarter of a tank of gas?

So my 2010 Pre-LCI 6mt e92 335i has been having some idle issues such as the rpms dropping causing the car completely shut off, sometimes happens at stop lights as well and has some hiccups/stuttering when keeping a constant speed. But this all stops when the gas tank reaches right around a quarter of a tank of gas which is very odd. I'm filling up the car with premium 91 octane. Always have. But again, the issues are all resolved when the car gets down to quarter of a tank. I have a check engine light on for some service to get done on the car, I'm bringing her in super soon, just wanted to see if anyone could have any idea whats going on?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
Seann14217
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanaruddy View Post
So my 2010 Pre-LCI 6mt e92 335i has been having some idle issues such as the rpms dropping causing the car completely shut off, sometimes happens at stop lights as well and has some hiccups/stuttering when keeping a constant speed. But this all stops when the gas tank reaches right around a quarter of a tank of gas which is very odd. I'm filling up the car with premium 91 octane. Always have. But again, the issues are all resolved when the car gets down to quarter of a tank. I have a check engine light on for some service to get done on the car, I'm bringing her in super soon, just wanted to see if anyone could have any idea whats going on?

Thank you!
Hmmm I'm not a mechanic, sounds like a fuel pump however it could be something within your ignition system (spark plugs ignition coils fuel injectors) but that would not explain why it starts at a quarter tank. I would go with a fuel pump... expect a good bill at the dealership, good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Frankly, it's all just guesses until you find out what the codes are that are responsible for setting the SES light. My guesses, after having just solved - or at least gotten to the bottom of - several rough idle issues on my E91 are that you're going to find problems with the evaporative control system. That, or the fuel pump, could explain the timing of the problem to fuel level. Other issues may be sensors (O2 or crankshaft) and then of course there's the ever present dirty VANOS solenoids. Many other things are possible too (e.g., leaky valve cover gasket). Many of these (but not all) throw unique codes. Most are relatively simple fixes that the dealership will charge you a minimum of $1500 to address....and that you could have done at an indy for 1/2 of that or by yourself at 1/4 or less of that.

So the moral of the story is read the codes and THEN figure it out. If you plan on keeping the car, a code reader/reset tool is a good investment. Otherwise, I think that you can likely get the most common codes read by Autozone if you take it to the store had have them plug it in.

Report back to the thread...I'm quite interested in evaporative control issues.

Oh, btw...if you're running the air conditioning (which you may be most of the time in AZ...), is the problem any better?
Appreciate 0