E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > DME codes 29E1 and 30FC (help)

06-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
idk6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mini r60 Countryman

Garage List
DME codes 29E1 and 30FC (help)

Hey guys

The other day i started up my 07 e93 335i to see the dreaded SES light. I pulled codes and got 29E1 (mixture control 2) and 30FC (turbocharger, chard-air pressure too low: leak-tightness). The car drives completely fine, no problems with turbos, spoil fine, boost is felt for sure.

Any idea what the problem is? I think the car could use new plugs and coils (69k miles), but could be 02 sensors maybe? Just hope it's not injectors.

Tempted to clear the code and see if it comes back. Could be a 1 time thing.

Thanks for the input,
Gavin
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk6 View Post
...07 e93 335i...SES light. I pulled codes and got 29E1 (mixture control 2) and 30FC (turbocharger, charge-air pressure too low: leak-tightness). The car drives completely fine, no problems with turbos, spoil fine, boost is felt for sure.

Any idea what the problem is? I think the car could use new plugs and coils (69k miles), but could be 02 sensors maybe? Just hope it's not injectors. Tempted to clear the code and see if it comes back. Could be a 1 time thing.
Gavin
If your scan tool will give Definition for 29E1, or a P-code (P0174 too Lean, or P0175 too Rich, BOTH Bank 2) then we would have a little better idea what the issue is.

If those are the ONLY codes (NO sensor codes) then my SWAG would be that Bank 2 is TOO RICH due to a leak in the intake manifold related to one of the cylinders in Bank 2 (cyl. 4 - 6), and if your Freeze Frame Data suggests the 29E1 code ONLY occurs when at boost conditions (clear code & test for SES light, read Code/ FF Data), then that increases likelihood of manifold leak on Bank 2. Also looking for smoke (dark due to over-rich) from Bank 2 tailpipe under WOT conditions (someone following) would be helpful.

NOT familiar with Turbo engine, N54, JUST a SWAG,
George
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
idk6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mini r60 Countryman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk6 View Post
...07 e93 335i...SES light. I pulled codes and got 29E1 (mixture control 2) and 30FC (turbocharger, charge-air pressure too low: leak-tightness). The car drives completely fine, no problems with turbos, spoil fine, boost is felt for sure.

Any idea what the problem is? I think the car could use new plugs and coils (69k miles), but could be 02 sensors maybe? Just hope it's not injectors. Tempted to clear the code and see if it comes back. Could be a 1 time thing.
Gavin
If your scan tool will give Definition for 29E1, or a P-code (P0174 too Lean, or P0175 too Rich, BOTH Bank 2) then we would have a little better idea what the issue is.

If those are the ONLY codes (NO sensor codes) then my SWAG would be that Bank 2 is TOO RICH due to a leak in the intake manifold related to one of the cylinders in Bank 2 (cyl. 4 - 6), and if your Freeze Frame Data suggests the 29E1 code ONLY occurs when at boost conditions (clear code & test for SES light, read Code/ FF Data), then that increases likelihood of manifold leak on Bank 2. Also looking for smoke (dark due to over-rich) from Bank 2 tailpipe under WOT conditions (someone following) would be helpful.

NOT familiar with Turbo engine, N54, JUST a SWAG,
George
Thank you for the input. Will give a shot when I have a chance. I'm only getting those two codes, no "P" codes, not seeing any smoke in the engine bay, temperatures are normal. Could just be a 1 time thing?
Appreciate 0