BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Wagnbat
Rep
Drives: 2005 Mini Cooper S

r53 vs e92?

Yes, yes, comparing apples to oranges, I know. But hear me out.

I've gotten permission from the misses to pursue an e92 if I so choose. I'm stationed overseas currently, and can purchase through BMW military sales which would cut about 8k from the price.

My mini is fully paid off, 38k miles, and moderately modified. Pulley, intake, chip, exhaust is the full extent of powertrain mods. But there are plenty of other functional and aesthetic mods. I believe I can get 30k. Then the e92 would be within reach financially.

The Mini community is awesome. I love em. But c'mon, we're talking a spankin new M3!

But back on the flipside, I could afford a whole new Mini for the same price, while keeping my own, instead of another M3. More than twice the power, but half the mileage (not that there are many miles to drive here on Guam).

I don't really really omgz omgz omgz, have to "have it", because I'm a material teenage schoolgirl. But I do seriously want it. But I'm also practical knowing that I could use that money for other stuff, like home upgrades or whatnot... But the wife insists that I can get it if I want it, and I do.

The cost of feeding the motor is a small factor to me. I drive 20 miles a day currently, so thats about a gallon a day, where as currently in the Mini its about a gallon every two days.

I think a bit more history may be needed. At first, I didn't want a car, because I thought they were 'trendy' because a lot of cars look a lot alike. Then I realized that my basis was based on economical sedans like the Camry and such... The first car I wanted was a Mitsu-eclipse... I went to buy one, and (short story version) got swindled into a dodge neon that I got royally boned on. Traded that for a 94 camaro. Awesome car, loved it. At 250k I traded it for a 96 camaro. Awesome car, loved it, but it had more issues than the 94. Tired of used cars, I bought my Mini. Best car I've ever owned. I don't like Japanese cars, US cars are alright, but after the Mini my eyes turned towards Euro cars. I am now a Mini/Bimmer fan.

So why the M3? Because it's an upgrade. Why not a 3 or 5 series? Because they're trendy sedans. An M car is unique. 1 trim level, top of the line for it's 'class'. Also with the sedan option, I can easily accomodate my 4 person family while 2 of them are in baby seats and beyond. Our second car is a jeep, and likely will be the main mode of family transport (as it is currently), but having 4 doors on my car will certainly help when I need to drive the kids to and fro.

I'm on the fence. Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

I would get the z4m if I was coming from a mini...and if family transportation is not a big issue. Otherwise M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Wagnbat
Rep

Thanks for the recommendation, but 2 seats are not an option. My kids are 3 and 16 months old, so a 2 seater isn't an option for us right now. They'll all fit in the Mini just fine, so a 2 door is acceptable. But 4 would be much more convenient.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Wagnbat
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Any more pics of your mini, looks damn sexy!
      08-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Nice Mini
      08-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
Wagnbat
Rep

Thanks. I had a gallery up, but it crashed and I've not been able to repair it yet. I do have a cardomain page with a decent amount of pics though:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215341

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Wagnbat
Rep

Meh, Mini is off the market. I want an e92, but right now I have no car payment, my Mini more than meets my needs, and to have an e92 without a garage is a bit silly... Plus I want a fully loaded one. All or nothing...

So I will postpone my e92 pursuit until I return to mainland USA (2-3 years).

Thanks for the interest & discussion though.
Appreciate 0