BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum How to maintain soft top?

06-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
kv1980
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

How to maintain soft top?

I would like to know how you maintain and protect the soft top? Do you use a pressure washer? Do you use normal car shampoo? Every time you wash the car? Do you use something to protect the fabric? ,...
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

RaggTopp

Appreciate 1
kv198034.50
      06-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

ABSOLUTELY NO to a pressure washer and no to car soap. You can obtain specific cleaners and convertible top conditioners directly from BMW. In North America, folks use a product called Raggtop as well.

http://www.raggtopp.com/

As your car is a new Z4 still under warranty, I would only use a BMW product purchased from the dealer where you bought the car - and keep the receipts!! That way, if you run into an issue with the top, you can show that you used a BMW product and nobody can say that you used a garbage top cleaner that caused damage. Replacing a canvas top is an expensive proposition and you do not want to do that out of warranty at your cost.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 06-07-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
kv198034.50
      06-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
tmehanna
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
ABSOLUTELY NO to a pressure washer and no to car soap. You can obtain specific cleaners and convertible top conditioners directly from BMW. In North America, folks use a product called Raggtop as well.

As your car is a new Z4 still under warranty, I would only use a BMW product purchased from the dealer where you bought the car - and keep the receipts!! That way, if you run into an issue with the top, you can show that you used a BMW product and nobody can say that you used a garbage top cleaner that caused damage. Replacing a canvas top is an expensive proposition and you do not want to do that out of warranty at your cost.
That's a little bit over the top. Pressure washers are ok as long as you keep a safe distance. The idea is how much the pressure is on contact. 303, Raggtop and other traditional top sealants are giving way now to more durable nano ceramic treatments which also work way better. It's also a little paranoid to think BMW would deny top warranty based on what cleaner or sealant used that you need to buy their stuff and keep the receipts as they recommend using an "Interior Cleaner" when a top cleaner is unavailable. However, I agree no car shampoo on a fabric top.
Appreciate 2
kv198034.50
IM2C2065.00
      06-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
I avoid washing the top whenever possible and don't use a pressure washer. I probably only washed the top on my last 'vert maybe once or twice in 3 years and even then, it was just a rinse.

I would think the less it gets washed, the longer it will last.

Dave
Appreciate 1
kv198034.50
      06-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Lots of opinions on this one. Many people will also tell you to do absolutely nothing other than the usual car wash. Do some research on the forum.
      06-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post

That's a little bit over the top. Pressure washers are ok as long as you keep a safe distance. The idea is how much the pressure is on contact. 303, Raggtop and other traditional top sealants are giving way now to more durable nano ceramic treatments which also work way better. It's also a little paranoid to think BMW would deny top warranty based on what cleaner or sealant used that you need to buy their stuff and keep the receipts as they recommend using an "Interior Cleaner" when a top cleaner is unavailable. However, I agree no car shampoo on a fabric top.
I disagree.

A good friend of mine destroyed the top motor on his E 85 Z4 through one use of a pressure washer. While there are quality cleaners and conditioners out there for your canvas top, if you ever do have an issue with the top, you will wish you had used the BMW product. The few dollars saved are not worth having that worry in my view .

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
kv1980
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4 G29

Indeed a lot of (different) opinions on this topic...problem is who is right and who is wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv1980 View Post
Indeed a lot of (different) opinions on this topic...problem is who is right and who is wrong?
Neither Raggtopp nor 303 will be wrong answers and are made to protect the canvas top.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Quote:
Neither Raggtopp nor 303 will be wrong answers and are made to protect the canvas top.
Well, you could drop into your local dealer and ask them if there is an issue with using those products. They may be fine with it. But while you are there you could pick up the BMW product and save the drive across town for 303 or Raggtopp.😊

And I will point out that my top motor is original and working after 13 years. My car has never been pressure washed. My buddy did that just once and a few days later the motor died. I recognize that the G29 may have a different motor design and placement, or that you really may be quite the Jedi master with a power washer, but do you really want to risk it? Your car and your call, but I wouldn't do it.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
tmehanna
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I avoid washing the top whenever possible and don't use a pressure washer. I probably only washed the top on my last 'vert maybe once or twice in 3 years and even then, it was just a rinse.

I would think the less it gets washed, the longer it will last.

Dave
If you live in a dusty area like me that would be a bad idea. The trouble with dust buildup is when you open the top and it folds in layers, the abrasive dust particles trapped between the layers will act as sandpaper with the small movements caused by road irregularities. If your car is usually parked indoors and the top doesn't get that dirty, you can get away with simply rinsing off the top with water each time you wash your car then wiping the water off with a thick microfiber towel that will also help trap the dust particles.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
tmehanna
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't see any wrong answers here to be honest. Just different methods and some people are more cautious than others.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
nullspace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 m40i

I washed the top on my Boxster every week for five years with soap. Once every year or two I applied top protectant. It looked good as new when I sold it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Jim S
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i G29

Garage List
I applied Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric Coat v2 when the car was new 8 weeks ago. I have washed the car about 4 times but only rinse down the top and don't use shampoo on it. The water just flies off and does not penetrate the top. The same when it rains, just flies off.

You just have to make sure you cover up the glass and paint when applying the coating, although I think that a microfibre cloth will remove any surface residue if you get it off before it dries.

Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #15
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
Quote:
If you live in a dusty area like me that would be a bad idea. The trouble with dust buildup is when you open the top and it folds in layers, the abrasive dust particles trapped between the layers will act as sandpaper with the small movements caused by road irregularities. If your car is usually parked indoors and the top doesn't get that dirty, you can get away with simply rinsing off the top with water each time you wash your car then wiping the water off with a thick microfiber towel that will also help trap the dust particles.
Yep, it certainly depends on how the car is used and stored; my cars are stored inside in a climate controlled garage and stay pretty clean. If I end up with a bit of dirt or dust that won't blow off with an air compressor, I just give it a quick rinse with a hose......but I don't often need to, certainly not as often as I need to wash the cars.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #16
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Whenever I wash the car, i hit the roof with hose each time using the hose (pre-rince, rince, etc).

Generally, once I'm finished with the last pass of washing the body, I'll lightly and sporadically hit the roof with the soapy microfiber sponge wherever i know there to be "something" dirty, and then rinse it off as i would with the rest if the car. I certainly dont wash the roof like the car, rather just a touch and only where it needs it. That combined with the rinsing has (for me) walked the line between keeping it clean and wrecking the treatment on the fabric.

This was my approach on the old E85's as well, and they held up pretty well.

#My2Cents
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #17
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
That's a little bit over the top. Pressure washers are ok as long as you keep a safe distance.
Pressure washers are a bad idea for cars, period, let alone a convertible top. I've been washing cars for over 50 years and I've never used a pressure washer on a car. My cars look just fine without them.

I don't even use a spray head on my car. I use a foam gun to spray soap suds on it then wash with a micro-fiber mitt and soapy water. To rinse I used a hose end at low pressure and let the sheeting action draw the water off. All three of my BMWs are coated with CeramicPro.

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #18
tmehanna
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Pressure washers are a bad idea for cars, period.
I am sure you mean in your opinion
Appreciate 1
IM2C2065.00