BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Seat memory and Driver profile + Tailgate issue

So my wife and myself use 1 key but different driver profiles for the car. The key is attached to my profile and she just goes in and has to manually select her profile. When she does that the steering wheel adjusts to her setting but the seat sometimes does and sometimes does not. This same thing happened to me also once some time ago. Is this normal or is there a setting that I have missed or is this a defect?

Also, what I have noticed is that once the car is unlocked and i use my foot for the tailgate, if there is no action on my part for say a couple of minutes to start the engine or lock the car or anything of that sort, the foot action no longer works for the tailgate and I have to press the button on the tailgate or from the drivers door or the key fob to close it. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
So my wife and myself use 1 key but different driver profiles for the car. The key is attached to my profile and she just goes in and has to manually select her profile. When she does that the steering wheel adjusts to her setting but the seat sometimes does and sometimes does not. This same thing happened to me also once some time ago. Is this normal or is there a setting that I have missed or is this a defect?

Also, what I have noticed is that once the car is unlocked and i use my foot for the tailgate, if there is no action on my part for say a couple of minutes to start the engine or lock the car or anything of that sort, the foot action no longer works for the tailgate and I have to press the button on the tailgate or from the drivers door or the key fob to close it. Is this normal?
Wait! What? No one after these many views?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
My seat setting is working fine. My husband never drives it, so we don’t have a second driver profile. I’ve also set the passenger seat profile to fit me, for when he does drive.

My neighbor drove the car today, and I had to press the button to get my settings back, but it worked just fine.

Did you see my post on the key fob? Picked up the car last Friday, and the Auto Unlock wouldn’t work today. I changed to a newly purchased battery (not one we had sitting around) and it is back to normal.

You might try it. Maybe a dying battery affects the seat profile, who knows? (Yes I know, Turtleboy will know- he knows everything).

Or just use the second key for your wife. That would seem the simplest thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
The tailgate is another matter.
I’ve only used the foot thingy once, when it was open, and it worked to close it after a few tries.

However I wanted to take a video of it, and could NOT get the bottom to open with the top using the key fob. I had to get my husband to press the button inside the car. I have it set to open both - again maybe it was because the battery in the key was weak.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
ihartz
Rep
Drives: Volvo

I have the similar problem. The X5 is my wife's car, but i drive it a lot. We have 2 profiles, but we did not bonded the key to profile.

Randomly when i select my profile the seats are set in the right way, sometimes not, it like stop half way to reach the right setting, I have to use the memory seating setting button at the door to put it back in the right place.

I had updated the car last week at the dealer, hoping this little things gone, but no still there, even worst now all the time I turn on the car I have to press ok for a driver alert message, after that I have to select the profile, confirm again, and them get into my profile, sometime it glitch and they like 15 seconds to enter my profile.

Why in the hell this guys does not only show this alert on time and that it! Also, why in the hell this car do not keep enabled the last profile used, it always come back to guest by default. This could be easy solved with a option where you can choose the default profile with option, Guest, ProfileX, Last Used profile.

Really really bad user experience, all the time i stop the car, I get back to it a minute after and I have to give 3-4 clicks to get it on the right configuration.

My car has the 2019.45 software, this my first BMW and iDrive UX is really bad, i hope they start to think about make things easily and smooth on this software, i can believe that this is the award winning BMW user interface experience that everybody talked about.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartz View Post
I have the similar problem. The X5 is my wife's car, but i drive it a lot. We have 2 profiles, but we did not bonded the key to profile.

Randomly when i select my profile the seats are set in the right way, sometimes not, it like stop half way to reach the right setting, I have to use the memory seating setting button at the door to put it back in the right place.

I had updated the car last week at the dealer, hoping this little things gone, but no still there, even worst now all the time I turn on the car I have to press ok for a driver alert message, after that I have to select the profile, confirm again, and them get into my profile, sometime it glitch and they like 15 seconds to enter my profile.

Why in the hell this guys does not only show this alert on time and that it! Also, why in the hell this car do not keep enabled the last profile used, it always come back to guest by default. This could be easy solved with a option where you can choose the default profile with option, Guest, ProfileX, Last Used profile.

Really really bad user experience, all the time i stop the car, I get back to it a minute after and I have to give 3-4 clicks to get it on the right configuration.

My car has the 2019.45 software, this my first BMW and iDrive UX is really bad, i hope they start to think about make things easily and smooth on this software, i can believe that this is the award winning BMW user interface experience that everybody talked about.
OK I think you need to slow down! the reason why it defaults to a guest profile every time is because you have not assigned the key to any one of the profiles. For it to recognize which profile to select upon entering the vehicle it has to recognize it from the key that is used and because you don't have any profile attached to the key fob it is not recognizing the specific profile and defaulting to the guest profile.

I took my car into the dealer yesterday for the seat memory issue and he basically told me that if the last person who used the car locked it using the key fob or the handle then it saves that memory setting to that key fob until somebody else unlocks the car using the key fob and changes the seat to a different setting/memory. It will stay in the most recent used seat position because you do not have a profile attached to the key fob. If you do have that then each time you enter it will default to the memory setting for that profile.

As much as BMW has an award winning user interface it also expects people to properly understand and learn the features of the car before taking it to a dealer or complaining about it. The more technologically advanced the cars get the more we as human beings have to learn and remember 🙏🏻😀

Lastly I would recommend having your dealer upgrade your software to the latest version .48
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
ihartz
Rep

Quote:
OK I think you need to slow down! the reason why it defaults to a guest profile every time is because you have not assigned the key to any one of the profiles. For it to recognize which profile to select upon entering the vehicle it has to recognize it from the key that is used and because you don't have any profile attached to the key fob it is not recognizing the specific profile and defaulting to the guest profile.

I took my car into the dealer yesterday for the seat memory issue and he basically told me that if the last person who used the car locked it using the key fob or the handle then it saves that memory setting to that key fob until somebody else unlocks the car using the key fob and changes the seat to a different setting/memory. It will stay in the most recent used seat position because you do not have a profile attached to the key fob. If you do have that then each time you enter it will default to the memory setting for that profile.

As much as BMW has an award winning user interface it also expects people to properly understand and learn the features of the car before taking it to a dealer or complaining about it. The more technologically advanced the cars get the more we as human beings have to learn and remember ������

Lastly I would recommend having your dealer upgrade your software to the latest version .48
I will put in topics, to respond each part.

1. I understand the concept of keys, but it is not dynamic enough for at least my usage. A lot of times, i drive the car, and in the middle of many stops I switch with my wife. Keeping two key, and making them work together make no sense for my use case. I showed a option that could overcome this behavior, like the default become the last used, simple.

2. Good information about the how the key buttons usage influence the profiles, I already see that it also influence the seamless key entry. It bound to last used status, AKA the key.

3. A bad UX designe leads to mistakes and odd behaviors. What I expect from a good user interface is that it works seamless as possible, that no the case here. Have to confirm 4-5 messages before be-able to driver the car is bad. BMW can keep providing what they think is good for the customer, but the companies that succeeded in UX look for what customer wants.

4. I confirmed, my version is 48. It now introduced a new bug or feature depending on BMW standards. I cannot save my home page setting, all the time I edit it in my profile, set the widgets seem ok, even after few minutes of turning off/on the car seems good, but later like a hour it got reset to the default, it is not keeping what I set.

Last edited by ihartz; 06-17-2019 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #8
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartz View Post
Quote:

As much as BMW has an award winning user interface it also expects people to properly understand and learn the features of the car before taking it to a dealer or complaining about it. The more technologically advanced the cars get the more we as human beings have to learn and remember ������

I will put in topics, to respond each part.

1. I understand the concept of keys, but it is not dynamic enough for at least my usage. A lot of times, i drive the car, and in the middle of many stops I switch with my wife. Keeping two key, and making them work together make no sense for my use case. I showed a option that could overcome this behavior, like the default become the last used, simple.

2. Good information about the how the key buttons usage influence the profiles, I already see that it also influence the seamless key entry. It bound to last used status, AKA the key.

3. A bad UX designe leads to mistakes and odd behaviors. What I expect from a good user interface is that it works seamless as possible, that no the case here. Have to confirm 4-5 messages before be-able to driver the car is bad. BMW can keep providing what they think is good for the customer, but the companies that succeeded in UX look for what customer wants.

4. I confirmed, my version is 48. It now introduced a new bug or feature depending on BMW standards. I cannot save my home page setting, all the time I edit it in my profile, set the widgets seem ok, even after few minutes of turning off/on the car seems good, but later like a hour it got reset to the default, it is not keeping what I set.
Not sure why your homepage is doing that. Maybe you should log out of your profile, reboot idrive and then log back in to your profile. That may help. Rebooting the iDrive helps in a lot of situations related to iDrive. Press and hold the volume button for 20 odd seconds until the iDrive screen goes blank/black/dark/turns off and then release the volume button. IDrive will reboot.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

My X5 when I turn it off I can feel the seats and steering wheel return to default. The only thing that stays the same is the seat distance from the wheel.

Ha ha figured it out. My seats won’t adjust until I fasten my seat belt then it will adjust to the last setting. Yay!!!

Last edited by jasrboyd; 06-25-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrboyd View Post
My X5 when I turn it off I can feel the seats and steering wheel return to default. The only thing that stays the same is the seat distance from the wheel.

Ha ha figured it out. My seats won’t adjust until I fasten my seat belt then it will adjust to the last setting. Yay!!!
So funnily yesterday I got into my car and it as always had my driver profile as default. I start the car, put my seat belt on and the steering wheel does its adjustment and the seat belt tightens and the side bolsters come in. However I notice that I feel a bit far away from the steering wheel. So I press the 1 button on the seat memory panel and lo and behold the seat then moves to my saved position in terms of distance from the steering wheel. Not sure why it did not adjust to begin with.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

Just tried it but before I did I adjusted the seat to be back from where I usually have it. It adjusted everything except the distance as you said but when I selected the preset it adjusted the distance too. Another bug to be fixed I’m guessing.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
ihartz
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why your homepage is doing that. Maybe you should log out of your profile, reboot idrive and then log back in to your profile. That may help. Rebooting the iDrive helps in a lot of situations related to iDrive. Press and hold the volume button for 20 odd seconds until the iDrive screen goes blank/black/dark/turns off and then release the volume button. IDrive will reboot.
Already did that and does not solve, even delete and recreated my profile. Last week I went to BMW to repair my air conditioning and they update the iDrive to 2019.03.60. It includes the new apps and some other functions. I asked them to check this home screen issue, but they did not.

The thing is the issue still happens even with the last version. Trying thing I discovered that if I set the home screen on the guest profile it also change on my profile. It make no sense, but it is how works.

I also discovered that I'm unable to set the HUD height, i go to my profile set it, turn off the car and it comes back to default. Tried to set it on guest, but in this case did not work.

Other thing that could help on this thing where the car keep changing the seating position is disable the option of set seat position on the guest profile. So you go in, turn on the car, that is on the guest, and the seat will not change.

I will call BMW genius this week and try to see what they can do with homescreeen and other setting that does not get saved, but my experience with iDrive so far is bad, poor design and lot of bugs.
Appreciate 0