BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Valve Issue - VSC-2

06-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Valve Issue - VSC-2

I'm facing a weird issue with the VSC-2 where it stops working after I drive the car

Symptoms are as follows:

- On cold engine and when starting car up, I'm able to open/close the valves through remote
- After driving 5-10 minutes or more, remote valve open/closed functionality stops working. Valves don't move and stay in whatever position selected on car start up
- When switching car off after a drive and turning it back on, valves only open/close on the left side (same place as where VSC-2 Box is)
- When starting the car in OEM Mode (ON=Valves Open/OFF=OEM Mode), after having driven the car, only left valve opens on Sport+ start-up

I initially thought it might have been a heat related issue as the aluminium wrapped cable wasn't routed under the heat shield but zip tied to the chassis. However, after putting the car on ramps and touching the cables, there wasn't enough heat to believe it may have been a problem.

Car is European, so with OPF and is running a Remus exhaust with link pipes up to the OPF. I've ordered another VSC-2 unit, thinking perhaps I got a faulty unit but I fear there might be another issue at hand.

Assuming it's not the VSC-2 unit being faulty, what could the issue be?

Is BMW ECU interfering with the VSC-2 as the result of OPF sensor? Did the notorious BMW software update in March that patched OBD flashing also tampered with aftermarket valve control modules? Or perhaps are the Remus exhaust valves faulty and with heat they aren't able to move?

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and/or knows a solution?

Cheers!

Last edited by Dav3; 06-05-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Dav3
Major
Rep

Perhaps no one has any clue what might help

But, can anyone confirm exhaust behaviour for me?

I've reconnected one of the valves with the OEM bmw harness, ditching the VS2 harness

My exhaust behaviour on start up is:

- On efficient, valve stays closed, press the accelerator in neutral, valve stays closed

- On Sport Plus, valve stays closed, press the accelerator in neutral, valve opens (so opens but not on start up)

Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Sounds accurate.. I can hear my valves open as I press the gas pedal in sport + when my car is warmed up. Efficient doesn't seem to open the valves as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Perhaps no one has any clue what might help

But, can anyone confirm exhaust behaviour for me?

I've reconnected one of the valves with the OEM bmw harness, ditching the VS2 harness

My exhaust behaviour on start up is:

- On efficient, valve stays closed, press the accelerator in neutral, valve stays closed

- On Sport Plus, valve stays closed, press the accelerator in neutral, valve opens (so opens but not on start up)

Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate 1
Dav3946.50
      06-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Sounds accurate.. I can hear my valves open as I press the gas pedal in sport + when my car is warmed up. Efficient doesn't seem to open the valves as well.
Yeah, should be good.

Experimented a bit and found out that with the following sequence you do a cold start up with valves open

1. Press start without foot on brake
2. Select Sport Plus
3. Press accelerator (engine still off)
4. Then turn engine on
5. Start up with valves open

So yeah, based on this, valves should be fine at least on start up I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yes but valves shut / open once moving according to speed / load etc in eco and sport.

Don't assume that if they are open when stationary they will stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yes but valves shut / open once moving according to speed / load etc in eco and sport.

Don't assume that if they are open when stationary they will stay that way.
Yeah, I know they don't stay open

With VSC-2 after warmed up engine either one or none of the valves moved

With valves opening on warm engine with OEM actuator, pretty much proves its probably not a valve issue

Let's see next week with the new VSC-2 unit if my old unit was faulty or it's something with the BMW Ecu
Appreciate 0