Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330i M Sport first week impressions

05-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Bapster
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i mSport

330i M Sport first week impressions

First - disclosure; this is my 7th BMW since 1985.

After much deliberation and research, I factory ordered my G20 to replace a 2015 328iGT which was a joy to have as a daily use car. Never any problems or faults. Was also a factory order.
My Alpine white M Sport G20 arrived and is my first BMW with so many issues/problems/disappointments!! Never have I experienced these issues going back to my 1975 2002, through 650i and several 3 series!

Oddities that lead to disappointment: the Canadian model has an $8900.- "excellence package" that is supposed to be the fully loaded version. On my factory order there was no mention of the alarm system to be an order option. Mine DID NOT come with an alarm system installed!
ThenI noticed last night that the passenger side mirror DOES NOT have auto dimming like the driver side and rear view mirror that has it!!
Next, the stitching on the M Sport steering wheel is faulty/missing about half an inch. On top of that I noticed that the assisted steering doesn't always detect my hands on the wheel unless I jerk it a bit!

Adaptive cruise control in the Canadian version is dumbed down too. For example does not automatically adjust cruise control speed to speed limit signs but merely blinks when speed exceeds them!

The connected drive only works partially! For example I see the car on my account in both the app and on the web portal. I can see the location mileage, car info like doors/windows/trunk etc. but upon pressing the horn or light on the app, it tells me that it can't perform that function while another process is in progress!
3D camera spins for several minutes before giving a "fail" error!

I'm bracing myself for what will come next over the next few days as I climb up on the mileage past 650kms...

The dealership that I have been buying from and servicing at since 2006 are great in all respects and are doing their best to keep me happy. they ordered a new steering wheel and sent messages re my connected drive issues but no fix yet!

NO ALARM on a fully loaded M Sport G20 ? They must be joking up in BMW Canada! From what I've heard, many other if not all 2019 Canadian models are missing the alarm which might call for a group complaint by Canadian owners?

I might post photos when I start feeling better in the near future...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Congrats on 7th and looking forward to pics
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Yikes no alarm and no dimming mirrors. That sounds like a screw up. Goes to show though that you've got to pay attention to the small details and can't necessarily trust the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Yikes no alarm and no dimming mirrors. That sounds like a screw up. Goes to show though that you've got to pay attention to the small details and can't necessarily trust the dealer.
BMW has gotten rid of the passenger filming mirror since 2016.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

wow - obvs this is a bmw canada issue but thats super peasant having only a passenger side dimming mirror. someone needs to be demoted for that.

regarding everything else, i also am not a fan of these new computers on wheels. I have not experienced one new car no matter what brand that these new driver assistance electrics didnt screw up on at least multiple occasions (not trying to stick up for bmw but just paint an overall picture) - all started in 2016 driving the then new E class which decided to slam the brakes at 70 clicks for no reason. the most recent was the other day on a poor quality highway, the G01 turned me into the other lane at 100 clicks (kmh not mph) which was a nice bit of character i guess...

so be aware of all of that so it doesnt catch you off guard.

but thats how it is, enjoy it anyway because youll have to haha
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
      05-30-2019, 02:15 AM   #6
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

The passenger dimming mirror thing is not a mistake and it’s not a Canada thing. My 2017 US spec G30 doesn’t have it either...bmw decided it’s not necessary I guess. It bothered me when I first got the car knowing it was a cost cutting measure, but I’ve been driving it for 2 years and it hasn’t been an issue. I guess because of the angle or something you don’t really get glare from the passenger side if the mirrors are set properly.

Why does the alarm even matter? I have no idea whether or not mine has one. If someone tries to break into the car and the alarm goes off nobody is going to pay attention anyway. The car has BMW Connect anyway so if it’s stolen it will be tracked via GPS and BMW can kill the engine remotely.

The other issues you mentioned have nothing to do with bmw quality. It’s just the result of you not reading the build sheet and understanding which options you ordered or how adaptive cruise control is designed to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
Bapster
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
The passenger dimming mirror thing is not a mistake and it's not a Canada thing. My 2017 US spec G30 doesn't have it either...bmw decided it's not necessary I guess. It bothered me when I first got the car knowing it was a cost cutting measure, but I've been driving it for 2 years and it hasn't been an issue. I guess because of the angle or something you don't really get glare from the passenger side if the mirrors are set properly.

Why does the alarm even matter? I have no idea whether or not mine has one. If someone tries to break into the car and the alarm goes off nobody is going to pay attention anyway. The car has BMW Connect anyway so if it's stolen it will be tracked via GPS and BMW can kill the engine remotely.

The other issues you mentioned have nothing to do with bmw quality. It's just the result of you not reading the build sheet and understanding which options you ordered or how adaptive cruise control is designed to work.
I've been a bimmer user for a long time and have reason to believe they are beginning to slip... what justification would there be for the pass dim to be omitted? Doesn't make sense this is not Hyundai to think about cost cutting! Besides, the language on the order sheet and specs say "exterior mirrors" not mirror!

The alarm matter was more of a convenience hearing the beep upon locking the car and when approaching the car to locate it in a mall lot!! Again, we are talking about a German luxury brand and an 8900 $ so called "excellence" package option in Canada !

Lastly regarding the build sheet you are also wrong, first, it has nothing to do with a build sheet, it has to do with country-specific configuration of the cars... adaptive cruise control and the speed limit reader are just configured differently, in the European version it automatically modifies the ACC setting when the road speed sign changes, user can even set a slight deviation of +- 10km... this is simply removed from the Canadian, possibly NA version.... it was just an observation from my side ... nothing to do with build sheet which by the way, I was meticulous about and researched for weeks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapster View Post
I've been a bimmer user for a long time and have reason to believe they are beginning to slip... what justification would there be for the pass dim to be omitted? Doesn't make sense this is not Hyundai to think about cost cutting! Besides, the language on the order sheet and specs say "exterior mirrors" not mirror!

The alarm matter was more of a convenience hearing the beep upon locking the car and when approaching the car to locate it in a mall lot!! Again, we are talking about a German luxury brand and an 8900 $ so called "excellence" package option in Canada !

Lastly regarding the build sheet you are also wrong, first, it has nothing to do with a build sheet, it has to do with country-specific configuration of the cars... adaptive cruise control and the speed limit reader are just configured differently, in the European version it automatically modifies the ACC setting when the road speed sign changes, user can even set a slight deviation of +- 10km... this is simply removed from the Canadian, possibly NA version.... it was just an observation from my side ... nothing to do with build sheet which by the way, I was meticulous about and researched for weeks

Omitting a dimming passenger mirror isn’t just a BMW thing, my C250d and RR Velar both only had driver side dimming, doesn’t bother me personally.

Alarm is an option in Australia, I didn’t order it, they’re annoying , the all have immobiliser security built in so why double up?

ACC in Australia is the same, when the speed signs change you have to hit “set” and the speed will increase or decrease dependent on current speed.

BMW. Connected drive issues aside this is one of the best, most refined mid lux car I’ve owned.
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapster View Post

You may not need to get the alarm to have the beep when you lock the doors, but I'm not sure since I checked my spec sheet and I do have the alarm. There's a setting in I-drive that lets you turn the beep on and off.

The mirror is definitely cost cutting, as is the fact the dimming mirrors have a bit of a border around them that doesn't dim. But thats about it. The Mercedes E class has way more cheap materials, hard plastics, and areas where they cheeped out on the car than BMW has on the 5.
Appreciate 0