Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Thoughts on the parking assisstant?

05-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Thoughts on the parking assisstant?

Well it works but I am nervous every time I use it. Today I parked in a space which I would not have taken on myself as it only had about a foot clearance front and back. During the reversing phase the car braked sharply and I actually thought I had reversed into the car to my rear. SH*T myself Everything ok and its an impressive option but I guess its a confidence thing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This is one feature I still haven't used even once because the software is only as good as the engineers who built and tested it. Far too many variables in my humble view.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Use it sometimes but constantly holding myself from braking. A little bit slower would be nice
      01-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Well it works but I am nervous every time I use it. Today I parked in a space which I would not have taken on myself as it only had about a foot clearance front and back. During the reversing phase the car braked sharply and I actually thought I had reversed into the car to my rear. SH*T myself Everything ok and its an impressive option but I guess its a confidence thing!!
I too,was nervous of using it.....I practiced holding my nerve by parallel,parking with one car only - switch it on, drive past a car parked on its own and the Assistant will 'spot' the spaces either side. Quite happy to use it now

One thing to consider - Parking Assistant Plus also gives the 'aerial' view, adds a lot of information...which adds a lot of comfirdence!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:21 AM   #5
spidermack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack San Marino Blue

Garage List
I have this on my M4 Comp. In 2.5 years I doubt I've used it more than 6 times. On one occasion I'm certain it would have kerbed a wheel had I not stopped it. Maybe it's improved on the G20/21 but I'd be wary
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Use it sometimes but constantly holding myself from braking. A little bit slower would be nice
This!
First time is really unnerving especially so when your driveway is narrow at the entrance like mine.

Edit! I read the title wrong and thought we were talking about the reversing assistant

Last edited by OM3RTA; 01-29-2020 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

Used it a handful of times, can be quite useful, it made light work of a really tight space at Manchester Airport multi storey.

I use it in my works car park occasionally but more just to test it out as it’s quite easy to park. I do find however, the fact it puts the indicator on is slightly embarrassing, especially when you can see there’s no other cars approaching. I knocked it off and it told me off and aborted the parking manoeuvre!
Also same with seatbelt, if I’ve taken it off already in works multi storey (stretching to swipe access card in before someone tells me off!) - then it won’t even let you start the parking move before you put your seatbelt on!

Totally agree with all of the above though, it’s very unnerving and the speed it does it at too!
Appreciate 0