BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > My new-to-me CPO M2 is pulling to the right.

05-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

My new-to-me CPO M2 is pulling to the right.

Looking for a sanity check here. I bought my CPO'd OG M2 last week Thursday, and noticed that it was pulling to the right at highway speeds. I took it back to the dealership the following Friday, they performed an alignment on it, and released it to me. On my way home, I found that it was still pulling to the right.

I brought it back to the dealership on Monday, and they performed another alignment. They test drove it and found that it was still pulling to the right. They then put a set of wheels from an M2 Comp on the car, which they said addressed the issue, meaning that there must have been a problem with the tires. To rectify the issue, they ordered a new set of PSS, which they installed today.

I was told that they test drove the car and that all was well, so I picked it up. Lo and behold, on the drive home, it was pulling to the right on the highway exactly as it was before, no change. Any thoughts, ideas, prayers for my sanity? What I expected to be a happy experience has instead become incredibly frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

post the alignment specs for us to see
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
makeitbetter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Looking for a sanity check here. I bought my CPO'd OG M2 last week Thursday, and noticed that it was pulling to the right at highway speeds. I took it back to the dealership the following Friday, they performed an alignment on it, and released it to me. On my way home, I found that it was still pulling to the right.

I brought it back to the dealership on Monday, and they performed another alignment. They test drove it and found that it was still pulling to the right. They then put a set of wheels from an M2 Comp on the car, which they said addressed the issue, meaning that there must have been a problem with the tires. To rectify the issue, they ordered a new set of PSS, which they installed today.

I was told that they test drove the car and that all was well, so I picked it up. Lo and behold, on the drive home, it was pulling to the right on the highway exactly as it was before, no change. Any thoughts, ideas, prayers for my sanity? What I expected to be a happy experience has instead become incredibly frustrating.
My 2017, which I purchased as a CPO, also pulls to the right. They replaced the tires when I purchased the car and performed an alignment.

The strange part is it seems to come and go...for this reason I haven't really thought too much about it. I will take a closer look tomorrow on the freeway.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitbetter View Post
My 2017, which I purchased as a CPO, also pulls to the right. They replaced the tires when I purchased the car and performed an alignment.

The strange part is it seems to come and go...for this reason I haven't really thought too much about it. I will take a closer look tomorrow on the freeway.

-Mark
That's unsettling.. I wonder what the cause could be. This is my daily, and constantly having to correct for a pull when commuting and on road trips will drive me nuts! The 235 definitely didn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
didn't get a copy of them... They just told me that they aligned it to factory spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
didn't get a copy of them... They just told me that they aligned it to factory spec.
I would push to get a copy of those. Just because it's in spec doesn't always mean it's aligned correctly
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would push to get a copy of those. Just because it's in spec doesn't always mean it's aligned correctly
True that.

Did some digging online and came across a TSB that aimed to correct a pulling right issue on M3s and m4s along with some affected M2s.. the shop foreman wants to give that a try and go from there. Either way, it's a nice excuse to get upgraded to the latest iStep. It's SIB 32 01 17 in case anyone wants to look into it. I first came across it here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../982183?page=3
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #8
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quick update: the coding update absolutely addressed the issue! Another nice bonus is that I'm pretty sure that the process updated the iStep on my car.. the steering feels different and better than before, the throttle feels more responsive in all modes, and the burbles are much more pronounced in MDM mode. I'm sure that the last one isn't placebo, my wife pointed it out when I picked her up from work today. Long story short, if your M2 pulls to the right, take it in to your dealer and ask them to look into that bulletin.. Game changer!
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

-Mark
Heads up: the coding works. Ask your dealership about the bulletin... absolute game changer for me!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
makeitbetter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Heads up: the coding works. Ask your dealership about the bulletin... absolute game changer for me!
Awesome...I was just driving her yesterday and thought to jump back on this thread to investigate. I will absolutely have the dealer address this.

Thanks for doing the research! I will report back with an update on my end.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome...I was just driving her yesterday and thought to jump back on this thread to investigate. I will absolutely have the dealer address this.

Thanks for doing the research! I will report back with an update on my end.

Mark
No prob, hope it helps!
Appreciate 0