F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Increased Battery Discharge Warning
proTUNING Freaks

05-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
Mysto23
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
F30 Increased Battery Discharge Warning

New to the forum, I have a 2014 320i. I recently started to get an "Increased Battery Discharge" warning when I start the car. At first I thought it might be the battery needing to be replaced, it was 5 years old and had never been changed. I changed the battery and registered it with the car, I was still getting the same warning. Brought it to the local BMW Dealership, after recharging the battery and doing draw test, they came to the conclusion the Instrument Cluster was bad. They gave me a quote for $2,000.00. Just wondering if anyone has had this similar problem? Should I just pay the dealership to repair or is this something that can easily be a DIY project. Changing the cluster seems simple, but worried about coding. Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysto23 View Post
New to the forum, I have a 2014 320i. I recently started to get an "Increased Battery Discharge" warning when I start the car. At first I thought it might be the battery needing to be replaced, it was 5 years old and had never been changed. I changed the battery and registered it with the car, I was still getting the same warning. Brought it to the local BMW Dealership, after recharging the battery and doing draw test, they came to the conclusion the Instrument Cluster was bad. They gave me a quote for $2,000.00. Just wondering if anyone has had this similar problem? Should I just pay the dealership to repair or is this something that can easily be a DIY project. Changing the cluster seems simple, but worried about coding. Any help would be much appreciated.
Providing the replacement dash is a virgin with no VIN associated with it, it's very easy.

2 screws and 2-3 plug in connectors. No coding required. Less than 10 minutes to swap out.

However, I'd get a second opinion on the cause of the issue as this seems unlikely to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would not pay dealer prices.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Increased battery discharge warnings can come from a number of sources. If it's when starting the car it could be a poor cable connection at the starter or the engine ground strap. I'd say the least likely culprit is the dash. I'd be using my OBD diagnostic tool to look into what codes are being thrown.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Mysto23
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Increased battery discharge warnings can come from a number of sources. If it's when starting the car it could be a poor cable connection at the starter or the engine ground strap. I'd say the least likely culprit is the dash. I'd be using my OBD diagnostic tool to look into what codes are being thrown.

The Dealership worded it:
"Vehicle had faults for wake up preformed amp draw test and found amp draw coming from instrument cluster. Removed instrument cluster and found vehicle in spec for amp draw test."

Not really sure what I should do at this point. I have a Foxwell NT510, I bought to register the battery, not sure if this is a good enough scanner to diagnose the problem.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The Foxwell should say what's going on. About the only way I can see the instrument cluster drawing that much current is if there's a short circuit, in which case it should pop a fuse, but I guess anything's possible. Changing the cluster is a matter of a few screws and a couple of connectors, so it is a DIY proposition, though still not cheap at around $1k.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Try FCP Euro for parts with lifetime warranty or junkyard find.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Try FCP Euro for parts with lifetime warranty or junkyard find.
As I inferred before, a Junkyard Find will not work as the VIN will not match. The dash eprom must be virginized so VIN and mikes are cleared.

This cannot be done with the coding equipment 99.99999% of forum users have access to.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

You should call BMWNA yourself, or ask SA to call, and complain. Point out you've been a loyal customer for x years, owned y Bimmers and you are requesting goodwill replacement because this part should last the life of the car, like it has in every other car you've owned. They might pay some or all the cost of the part. You will be stuck with labor to install. You've got nothing to lose. Let us know how you make out.
BTW, I find the dealer's explanation believable. Looks like they took the right steps to diagnose. I am curious to see what codes your Foxwell shows. Post then if you can. As IK6SPEED said, it's nearly impossible to install a used cluster. Installing used BMW clusters has been a challenge for the last 25 years or so. The last thing you want is the mileage tamper indication on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
VernonD
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320D paddle-shifter

This is what happened to me. I also got this warning but when I checked the battery, the negative terminal was loose. I tightened it and the warning went away. If this doesn't work, go to a battery center and pay a few cents for them to trickle-charge the battery overnight to make sure the battery is indeed faulty. I love BMW but a dealership will rather replace hardware then to try and repair it. This is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
Mysto23
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Ran a scan with the Foxwell, threw Instrument Cluster Fault.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

BMW stealership concluded the instument cluster was bad.
Foxwell scanner flagged instrument cluster fault.

I'd bet on instrument cluster.

podman
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
Mysto23
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I guess what I need to figure out now is what is the best and most cost effective way to replace it.

I have not been able to find a Virgin Cluster online without going fully digital, that cluster is $1,700, Bimmertech will remotely code it. I really would prefer not to have a digital cluster and that is almost what the dealer quoted.

I priced a new cluster from BMW for $1,322.00 just for the part. If IK6SPEED is correct and I can swap it myself without any extra coding, this may be my best bet. I will at least save $700.

I also found a Vendor on ebay that will fix mine or swap the chips in the existing cluster to a used one. This requires my shipping him my cluster and a replacement. I talked to him on the phone for a couple of minute, I am not sure how this will work. He has over 500 positive reviews, but still makes me fell uneasy. I'm sure this option will be much less.

I guess my last option would be to purchase a used cluster and find someone to code it. From what I read the Dealership will not code a used one. I didn't have any luck finding anyone that could do this.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Knowing what the codes are now you can google them to find out likely causes and cures. Chances are more than a few others have experienced the same problem and there are likely threads about it. I just searched 'BMW instrument panel wake-up line status incorrect' and got pages and pages of results.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I guess what I need to figure out now is what is the best and most cost effective way to replace it.

I have not been able to find a Virgin Cluster online without going fully digital, that cluster is $1,700, Bimmertech will remotely code it. I really would prefer not to have a digital cluster and that is almost what the dealer quoted.

I priced a new cluster from BMW for $1,322.00 just for the part. If IK6SPEED is correct and I can swap it myself without any extra coding, this may be my best bet. I will at least save $700.

I also found a Vendor on ebay that will fix mine or swap the chips in the existing cluster to a used one. This requires my shipping him my cluster and a replacement. I talked to him on the phone for a couple of minute, I am not sure how this will work. He has over 500 positive reviews, but still makes me fell uneasy. I'm sure this option will be much less.

I guess my last option would be to purchase a used cluster and find someone to code it. From what I read the Dealership will not code a used one. I didn't have any luck finding anyone that could do this.

Any suggestions?
Clearing the info in a dashboard speedometer moves into the dark side of auto parts as people would do it to tamper with vehicle mileage.

As a result, you will not be finding a commercial business performing the service.

It can be done...but usually an individual who is good with computer circuits.

The equipment needed is not something that most have....as I stated originally.

You can find cleared used units on eBay and with PayPal Protection there isn't a lot of downside.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #16
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
If decide to go through the dealer, joint the BMW CCA first and save yourself another 10%. Or order online via one of the forum sponsors for a discounted price.

Crazy that the IP can go bad but seems like it’s pretty rare since yours is the first time I’ve heard of it happening.

Regarding the odometer, does the IP pick up the mileage from a persistent storage (that serves as the true system of record) somewhere else in the car’s electronics?
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Quote:
If decide to go through the dealer, joint the BMW CCA first and save yourself another 10%. Or order online via one of the forum sponsors for a discounted price.

Crazy that the IP can go bad but seems like it’s pretty rare since yours is the first time I’ve heard of it happening.

Regarding the odometer, does the IP pick up the mileage from a persistent storage (that serves as the true system of record) somewhere else in the car’s electronics?
You get a discount on parts with cca membership?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
You get a discount on parts with cca membership?
My local dealer gives 10% off. I talked them into 15% on brakes/rotors a few years back. Usually they don’t even want to see my card, I just ask for it and the parts guy says ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #19
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

So was this problem solved and if it was what was it ?

Was it the cluster Becuase I'm having same issues and I think I get a cluster fault code too
      04-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #20
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Mine kept tossing this error when really cold (IE -30C or lower). Message was "idrive was running when the car was off". I mentioned this at my last service a couple weeks ago, and they updated the idrive to the latest version to address it.

Obviously cannot confirm that the problem is gone right now, but it did feel like a software problem that happened when the battery voltage was lower.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'd say that's one more reason to keep the car on a battery maintainer when it's really cold. That way whatever is still running will get powered by the maintainer instead of discharging the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Sure, except it lives in a heated 10C / 50F heated garage, and this pops up when you park at work or the grocery store.

If I need to plug in my 3-series every time I stop, then I should have either:
1) Bought a much better brand
2) Bought a hybrid

Appreciate 0