F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Transmission Malfunction error message
ARMA SPEED

05-16-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
sharkef30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F30

Transmission Malfunction error message

I have a 2015 BMW F30 328i with 34,118 miles, out of warranty.

The other day, I was driving local, when all of a sudden my right window started rolling down in weird increments. I was not able to roll my window up. At the same time, an error message appeared on my dashboard: "Transmission malfunction".

As I quickly pulled over, my car started to lose power, and my steering wheel started to stiffen up. Eventually when I got to the curb, my car lost all power and shut down.

I tried to restart the car but not successful on the first few attempts. I waited a few minutes and was able to restart the car. I was around 1.5 miles away from home, so then I decided to drive home. My car shut down again with the same error message once more before I got home, but I was able to again restart my car after few attempts, and made it home safely.

The next day, I had a tow truck tow my car to the dealership as I was not comfortable driving my car. The service advisor ran my car's codes, and said there are many issues popping up. He was not able to determine the root cause of this issue. However, he said it doesn't seem to be a mechanical/transmission issue. Seems to be an electronic issue. Since my car is out of warranty, BMW dealership is charging an absurd amount of money. I've attached BMW's repair estimate. Even after all the repair, they cannot guarantee that it'll fix my car's issue. The service advisor said, "First page is what we will have to begin with. If the problem still is not fixed page 2 would be next step."

I am thinking this might just be a battery issue. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I’ve also attached the error message on my dashboard.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Repair_Estimates_BMW (1).pdf (5.16 MB, 1363 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 02:31 AM   #2
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

wow that really sucks, such low mileage with all these issues, definitely dont go through the dealer. Unplugging the battery will not fix anything, that I know for sure. It seems like you need a software reset, I was going to suggest you getting the OBD and bimmercode to reset but I think you need ISTA and hook up for a full factory reset. you have to call around and find a local shop that has BMW's ISTA software and reset the ECU back to factory. That's what I would try first.
      05-16-2019, 04:27 AM   #3
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Are they really going to charge you approx $340 labor charge to fit a new battery, in my books that’s over 2 hours labour charge to do something that should take 30 mins? 15 mins to fit new battery, 15 mins to code/recode new battery, this should be bread and butter stuff to them that they have done time and time again?

I’d have a word with them and if they don’t want to improve the prices have my car towed elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Are they really going to charge you approx $340 labor charge to fit a new battery, in my books that’s over 2 hours labour charge to do something that should take 30 mins? 15 mins to fit new battery, 15 mins to code/recode new battery, this should be bread and butter stuff to them that they have done time and time again?

I’d have a word with them and if they don’t want to improve the prices have my car towed elsewhere.
I would go with an Indy. $340 for a battery replacement is actually less than what they normally charge but it's possible to DIY for around $200. Not sure if AAA knows how to replace batteries they probably won't code it so it will be undercharging until you register it with bimmercode or Carly. Looks like the car was just out of warranty. A friend of mine brought a 2015 that was just about to be out of warranty but was able to get an extended warranty. That is the best way to go if getting a non CPO car and can save you even more money than CPO and still have peace of mind and avoid situations like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Are they really going to charge you approx $340 labor charge to fit a new battery, in my books that’s over 2 hours labour charge to do something that should take 30 mins?
Of course they are.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

What's being suggested to the OP is to load up the car again on a wrecker and go shop Indies.

Is this really the time to be doing that?

My step 1 would be to buy a new battery at a place like Autozone and install it myself while the car is sitting, parked in the BMW stealership parking lot.
The Duralast H8-AGM battery sold at Autozone fits your needs and costs about $200.

That compares favorably to the $663 your stealer wants to charge you.

Worry about registering the battery later, first see if a fresh battery solves your problem.

podman

Last edited by Mr Podman; 05-16-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Rodents?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

I don't know why people are saying its a battery issue, first the car would tell you if the battery is low, second, i know the dealer is useless, but i still think they're capable of telling you if your battery is low, also a volt meter check takes 30 seconds to confirm battery voltage yourself.
      05-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

His 5 year-old battery is ready for a PM swap anyway.
Do it now and thereby take battery quality out of the mix.

podman
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
lorenzobmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I

I have a similar problem with mi BMW 328i 2014, I have a similar problem with my car, the vehicle works perfectly, it drives without problems but after a moment driving when I turn it off and turn it on again to use it gives me a code of `` TRANMISSION MALFUNCTION '' and it goes into safe mode, so it does not allow me to put it in D, after a few minutes it is safely removed by itself and I can already handle it again, sometimes it takes hours to do it, I have researched a lot on the internet but I have not found a solution, in fact I changed the battery because the one I had was no longer working, I even had it programmed for him but the failure persists.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 10:46 PM   #11
onastvar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (F30)

Anyone know of a solution for problem in initial post from sharkef30?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 08:21 PM   #12
jbopa
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i f30

maybe ground strap broke. i didnt lose power while driving but got a transmission malfunction trying to start my car. It wouldnt start - no odd noises or odors so had to get towed to dealer. Turns out the ground strap rusted through and broke. New ground strap and it works fine now.
Appreciate 0