F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F36 xDrive Suspenions DIY Help
ARMA SPEED

05-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Hi all,
I'm looking at replacing my Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro-kit springs with coilovers and I am having a hard time finding any guides or tutorials on how to get this done.

Would I be able to use an f30 xdrive install guide?

Bmw specialty shops in the area are all quoting me around 1k labor for the install and I'd like to use a DIY Lift bay at 40 bucks an hour instead.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Having done similar myself, the diy is not bad at all. Just takes some time. There's a number of f3x chassis diy for coilovers here and on YouTube. Definitely recommend watching a video or 2 to get familiar with before hand if you haven't done it before.
Also, xDrive and rwd are pretty much the same, at least procedure wise. The rear is exactly the same. The front, shocks are shorter and I recall the sway bar end links are mounted in a slightly different spot. But procedure is the same. You'll also need to make sure you have all the appropriate tools before you attempt this on your own. If you haven't done this before, be prepared for things to give you trouble and a significant investment in time. Could be upwards of 4-6 hours first go around.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Having done similar myself, the diy is not bad at all. Just takes some time. There's a number of f3x chassis diy for coilovers here and on YouTube. Definitely recommend watching a video or 2 to get familiar with before hand if you haven't done it before.
Also, xDrive and rwd are pretty much the same, at least procedure wise. The rear is exactly the same. The front, shocks are shorter and I recall the sway bar end links are mounted in a slightly different spot. But procedure is the same. You'll also need to make sure you have all the appropriate tools before you attempt this on your own. If you haven't done this before, be prepared for things to give you trouble and a significant investment in time. Could be upwards of 4-6 hours first go around.
Good luck.
Thanks!! Do you know if there are any differences in the f36 vs f30 suspensions as far as procedures go?

Also 4-6 hours on the lift will run me 200-300 vs 1k installed by a shop. Worth it IMO!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I haven't worked on an f36, but BMW doesn't tend to change things drastically with suspensions. Wouldn't make sense from a manufacturing point sine every change requires more money, so the more they can keep things the same the better. The basic setup of the suspension is most likely the same, even if some details of the parts are different. Someone with experience can chime in to confirm.
Having done suspension on multiple different brands of cars, it really is very similar all around.
And yes, save money and gain experience, which is priceless.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
This video covers things pretty well.

F36 suspension goes together the same as F30.

You'll probably want a jack to support the knuckle when you slide it off of the strut. I recommend some penetrating oil too so it slides off easier. That's a better way of doing it (IMO) than unscrewing the collar bolt and disconnecting the front drive shafts from the knuckle/bearing like the BMW procedure says. Also, loosen the strut to top mount bolt while the strut is still installed in the car, you can do that before you even lift the car.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Regarding disconnecting the driveshafts, I've never had to, front or rear. You just need to be careful and make sure the knuckle is supported so the axle joints don't pull apart. Although I've had them hanging before and they still didn't pull apart. But better safe than sorry. Axles can be a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Please have a a good torque wrench nearby along with all torque specifications.
Appreciate 0