BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
rlou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e 2017 X3 2.8i

Removed the Airbag Warnings from the Visors

In case anyone is contemplating doing this but wondering about the complexity, etc I thought I'd share that I just removed the airbag warning stickers from both visors in about an hour.

A screwdriver and needle-nose pliers were needed to remove the visors from the vehicle. After that 91% isopropyl alcohol, some paper towels, and something a little heavy to apply pressure did the trick to remove the stickers. Lastly some vinyl protectant to clean up the job.

After removing the stickers there remains a 'shadow' of where the stickers were, but I'll take that over the stickers themselves... (there's a video on youtube where acetone is used after the sticker is removed to get rid of the shadow, but I wasn't up to trying that)

Here are some pics of the job in progress and then the final results (I wasn't able to get any pics of the actual removal of the visors, but that was really pretty easy):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
philooo81.50
      05-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Oh no, you just voided your warranty and your car won't pass the annual inspection.

J/k.
Looks good.
I did that before to my F15.

I wonder why BMW doesn't use cloth like the headliner.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

going to use orange juice to see if that works better removing the "shadow" line
thanks, even though not top of priority list, i will be removing when i have time!!!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
going to use orange juice to see if that works better removing the "shadow" line
thanks, even though not top of priority list, i will be removing when i have time!!!
FWIW I tried Goo Gone on the shadow but it didn't do anything...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlou View Post
I was being sarcastic...you used apple juice in the photo for weight down
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
You can't.
Because it is a heated stamping mark that was used to apply the label.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was being sarcastic...you used apple juice in the photo for weight down
LOL I totally missed that
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #8
Milangel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
In case anyone is contemplating doing this but wondering about the complexity, etc I thought I'd share that I just removed the airbag warning stickers from both visors in about an hour.

A screwdriver and needle-nose pliers were needed to remove the visors from the vehicle. After that 91% isopropyl alcohol, some paper towels, and something a little heavy to apply pressure did the trick to remove the stickers. Lastly some vinyl protectant to clean up the job.

After removing the stickers there remains a 'shadow' of where the stickers were, but I'll take that over the stickers themselves... (there's a video on youtube where acetone is used after the sticker is removed to get rid of the shadow, but I wasn't up to trying that)

Here are some pics of the job in progress and then the final results (I wasn't able to get any pics of the actual removal of the visors, but that was really pretty easy):
Looks great! Tried to do this last night but had no idea how to remove the visor from the vehicle at the very beginning

Would you mind sharing more details of how to remove it with screw driver and needle-nose pliers? It seems that there is no screws on the pad-like item that connects the visor and the headline other than a small tap. Did you force the visor out by the plier?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milangel View Post
Looks great! Tried to do this last night but had no idea how to remove the visor from the vehicle at the very beginning

Would you mind sharing more details of how to remove it with screw driver and needle-nose pliers? It seems that there is no screws on the pad-like item that connects the visor and the headline other than a small tap. Did you force the visor out by the plier?
You'll want to insert a flathead screwdriver into the slot in order to open the plastic cover (see photo), and once that cover is open you'll see where you'll be able to use needle nose pliers to squeeze the 2 clips together. Once you squeeze the clips together the visor will come down, and then you'll need to disconnect the wire clip that provides power to the mirror lights.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

Works on Alcantara also!

I just removed the airbag warning stickers from my new 2021 X5 45e which has the Alcantara headliner and visors. I used the exact same process as I did with my previous 2019 X5 40i, and the results look even better on Alcantara IMO in that there's no 'residue' left behind by the glue, etc.

Thought I'd share this in case anyone else with Alcantara is thinking about removing the airbag warning labels...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
S68 X5MC252.00
      12-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
I just removed the airbag warning stickers from my new 2021 X5 45e which has the Alcantara headliner and visors. I used the exact same process as I did with my previous 2019 X5 40i, and the results look even better on Alcantara IMO in that there's no 'residue' left behind by the glue, etc.

Thought I'd share this in case anyone else with Alcantara is thinking about removing the airbag warning labels...
A+ job! Now I need to find the time to try this. Of course, given my luck, as soon as I get the warning labels off I’ll forget how to use the airbags
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #12
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

How long do you allow the alcohol to "Soak" before the sticker will come up? Thank you for the post, great suggestion !
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
rlou
Private First Class
Rep

The longer you can allow the alcohol to soak the better! When I did my Alcantara visors, I was able to remove the driver's side no problem. But the passenger side I gave up trying to remove the plastic cover that covers the metal clips (was being very stubborn and I finally decided to give up instead of potentially damaging).

So, the driver's visor I was able to do like I illustrated in my first post, with the visor laying on a table where I could apply the alcohol and weigh it down so it could soak. After about ~5 minutes I gave it a try and the sticker came right up in more or less 1 piece.

I ended up removing the sticker from the passenger visor with it still installed in the car. This provided some challenge to apply pressure while the alcohol soaked since gravity was working against me. I was able to remove the sticker, but it came off in small pieces at a time due to the sticker not being 100% 'soaked' in alcohol. Whereas the driver's side took me about 5 minutes, the passenger side took about 20-30 minutes. I also had a bunch of small sticker shards on the floor and seat I had to vacuum up, but the end result was the same on both sides.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
The longer you can allow the alcohol to soak the better! When I did my Alcantara visors, I was able to remove the driver's side no problem. But the passenger side I gave up trying to remove the plastic cover that covers the metal clips (was being very stubborn and I finally decided to give up instead of potentially damaging).

So, the driver's visor I was able to do like I illustrated in my first post, with the visor laying on a table where I could apply the alcohol and weigh it down so it could soak. After about ~5 minutes I gave it a try and the sticker came right up in more or less 1 piece.

I ended up removing the sticker from the passenger visor with it still installed in the car. This provided some challenge to apply pressure while the alcohol soaked since gravity was working against me. I was able to remove the sticker, but it came off in small pieces at a time due to the sticker not being 100% 'soaked' in alcohol. Whereas the driver's side took me about 5 minutes, the passenger side took about 20-30 minutes. I also had a bunch of small sticker shards on the floor and seat I had to vacuum up, but the end result was the same on both sides.

Hope this helps!
Very helpful, successfully removed both sides, would have never attempted this without your DIY Thread !
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #15
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

I did this on my G05 as well as F15 before. Used aceton and a cloth. no need to dissaemble it and remove it from the car.
just rub it off with aceton until is gone. totaly safe
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #16
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

+1. Used 92% alcohol (readily available at any drug store) and a little patience. I actually flipped the visors up, so that the alcohol-soaked cloth could soak into the airbag sticker. Seemed to do the trick.
Appreciate 1
S68 X5MC252.00
      03-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #17
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Has anyone used acetone on Alcantara?

I would rather not take visor off, so if a cloth and some time/elbow grease will work, that would be great.
Appreciate 0