BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Wheel and Tire Insurance advice and experience requested

05-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Wheel and Tire Insurance advice and experience requested

My car is due in sometime in early June. I got the 664M 19" wheels with the run flats (tire brand not specified). I see the new wheels sell for $ 450-500 + tax and I am not sure of the tire cost. The roads do stink around my area and I have had this type of insurance and used it before so am leaning toward getting it but I have paid 750.00 in the past on an Infiniti w/20" sport rims. This is substantially more. BMW Dealer quoted $1850 for wheel and tire insurance w/ cosmetic (unlimited claims) for 3 years (my lease term).

I think that is a bit high. After discussions with the finance guy he went to $ 1,800 said bottom line. Suggested I look around and see that's a fair price for a top vendor NSD (Nation Safe Driver out of Boca Raton Fla).

I have 2 specific multi part questions if you would not mind sharing your experiences so I can make a decision:

1. Who had gotten this type of insurance from a dealer at less of a cost. who was the provider? who was he dealer?

2. Who has gotten the insurance outside of the dealer and what was the cost and vendor? Have you made any claims? if so how did it go?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
My car is due in sometime in early June. I got the 664M 19" wheels with the run flats (tire brand not specified). I see the new wheels sell for $ 450-500 + tax and I am not sure of the tire cost. The roads do stink around my area and I have had this type of insurance and used it before so am leaning toward getting it but I have paid 750.00 in the past on an Infiniti w/20" sport rims. This is substantially more. BMW Dealer quoted $1850 for wheel and tire insurance w/ cosmetic (unlimited claims) for 3 years (my lease term).

I think that is a bit high. After discussions with the finance guy he went to $ 1,800 said bottom line. Suggested I look around and see that's a fair price for a top vendor NSD (Nation Safe Driver out of Boca Raton Fla).

I have 2 specific multi part questions if you would not mind sharing your experiences so I can make a decision:

1. Who had gotten this type of insurance from a dealer at less of a cost. who was the provider? who was he dealer?

2. Who has gotten the insurance outside of the dealer and what was the cost and vendor? Have you made any claims? if so how did it go?

I sold BMWs, MINIs and the related financial products for about 6 years in my early retirement days. In general, the decision to buy tire and wheel warranty depends on how you feel about insurance type products. E. g., I have insurance on my house even though I hope I never have to use it. On Tire and Wheel, I have had it on both my wife's old 2008 335xi and my earlier 2010 535xi. My wife went through two tires and one wheel so it was worth the expense. On the 535xi, I didn't have a tire blowout and bent wheel until several years after the T&W warranty had expired, so it was not worth it for that one. I do not have the plans on either of our current cars and hope for the best. If you are relatively indifferent to having to possibly cough up $500 or so for a tire or wheel problem, you probably don't need it. If you do want it (which is certainly fine) I would recommend sticking with the BMW product and getting the top plan, if there is more than one. So many aftermarket warranty companies are terrible to deal with. Also, whomever you go with, if you ever have a problem, make sure your tire dealer contacts the warranty company before doing any repairs, as that is sometimes a contract condition and I have seen claims denied simply because the work was done first (aftermarket companies). You might also try some other dealers and see what they charge for T&W plans; doesn't matter which dealer sells it. I know in the Corvette community certain dealers specialize in these things and offer them at much better prices than other dealers. I got an extended warranty for my Z06 from a dealer in Montana at a considerable discount from my local Chevy F&I guy. Hope that helps a bit. --Bob
      05-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post

I suggest you Google search NSD Group, LLC and read up on them and reviews from consumers. They claim they've been around since 1962, FWIW.

I prefer dealer sold policies simply because their service department will handle all claims and be your advocate. We'll, at least better dealers will....

The problem with most tire/wheel policies is in the fine print. What it takes for them to replace a wheel for new as opposed to using a used wheel that's "like new". Most policies give them the right. These policies typically only cover a cracked wheel or bent wheel that creates a safety concern. If you have a cosmetically damaged wheel sometimes the insurance will try to blame your carelessness on the cause of the damage, depending on the damage.... Just beware.

The reason these policies are so pricey is due to the cost of run flat tires and the potential to damage wheels more easily with BMW sport tire low profile setups. Then there's the fraud issues that have always plagued these policies. People who magically get self induced tire damage when they have 30% tread life remaining. The fraudsters have ruined it for the rest of us honest people.

BTW, run flat tires can be repaired same as non run flat. It's misinformation out there that claims you cannot patch a nail puncture in a run flat. It all started from tire manufacturers who ask tire dealers not to repair because a run flat driven on flat is only good for xx miles. Since they don't know how many miles you drove, they err on the cautious side and just say no. Most of us are smarter than that and don't drive on tires with little to no inflation. So, take it to a shop with a good tire mounting machine, that can handle the BMW bead and stiff sidewall, and get it fixed.

Finally, I don't know of any 19" BMW wheel that's $500 ish retail. Probably more like $750+ unless you have a trade discount.

Good luck.
      05-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
I just go with the one dealer is selling for wheel and tire ins. It pays for itself 5 times over. No deductible, dealer processes paperwork, and if you get mail in your tires at above 3/32nds it's covered
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
I just go with the one dealer is selling for wheel and tire ins. It pays for itself 5 times over. No deductible, dealer processes paperwork, and if you get mail in your tires at above 3/32nds it's covered
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I purchased a 60 month policy from a local company in Dallas, when I bought my car. $950 for the policy, vs the $1600 the dealer wanted. I have already had them pay a claim on a Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Runflat which had a sidewall bubble. BMW gets these policies locally from a vendor who works each dealer's area. Just investigate that, and you can go directly to the vendor and save some money. I never, ever buy the extra stuff from the dealer. They wouldn't push them so hard if they didn't make a lot of money on the deal. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

What’s the name of your company ?

Most wont deal directly.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

They don't deal outside of Texas. Found them through a local financial company which markets products like DentGard, Gap coverage, etc. I'm sure there is one in the NY area.
Appreciate 0